Sochi 2014

Old Feb 12th 2014, 5:06 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sochi 2014

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
First...I ain't your "pal"....my comments are made as neutral, considering you don't even know my race or creed. So you are out to lunch on that one

Well ...am not the one that came out and made a blanket comment about "athletes from summer olympics lacking camaraderie, having egos etc"....Yet I posted that the young lady from Quebec that won Gold, how did she celebrate on off the slopes yelling into the camera?

Am a Londoner that grew up with different races and types, and I think that has helped me not look at people and stereotype, or afraid of of the unknown.

You think all the foreign owners of footie clubs back home care who is playing for them, as long as they win the Prem league trophy every year and bring in the Wonga.....

Sports is there to knock down barriers, and the last thing the athletes need is arm chair generals taking them back light years

Am sure PK Subban and Crosby aren't look at the same way by some if they for some reason commit the same act on the ice....Some might use Subban's colour to explain why he might have done the same thing Crosby might have done

For some reason I have always imagined you as black, African descent .. No idea why tho?!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JamesM
The 100 metres is the flagship event of the Summer Olympics. What is the equivalent in the Winter Olympics???
Originally Posted by magnumpi
Mens Hockey
When you look at which event will draw the most publicity, the most spectators,
the most discussion, you are right.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:10 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
Until I moved here, I always thought it was the Mens super G .
Old Feb 12th 2014, 10:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Curling news - GB's Eve Muirhead just made a nice double with the hammer to get back 2 points at the end of the 6th end. 6 -5 Canada, Muirhead made a tactical error in the 4th that had put Jones up 6 - 3. The commentators gave a brief bio of Muirhead and she seems a very well rounded athelete, good skip to give Jennifer Jones a run for her money but Jones herself threw a light guard at one point that cost them. Accuracy count shows Jones' rink outshooting GB (percentages vary by position) at this point. The leads are only a few points apart.
Aaaarrgghhhhhh!! End of the 7th and we have a possible biter at the bottom of the house and just as the official heads for it with the measuring stick..... TSN cuts to a sting of commercials! I will never buy a Nissan, use that denture stuff, eat mini wheats or .... grrrrr. We didn't get it; it was out by the width of a sheet of paper so GB gets the hammer in the 8th end of a 7-5 game.
9 - 6 the final and Jones' rink breathes a sigh of relief. Just about supper time in Sochi.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 12th 2014 at 11:56 am. Reason: correction of factual inaccuracies
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
For some reason I have always imagined you as black, African descent .. No idea why tho?!
Could be due to the picture that he posted a (long) while ago? But then that may not be conclusive given his history with other pictures posted here
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Only in Canada. Mens Downhill and Womens Figure Skating are IMO the blue ribbon events for most of the world.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Only in Canada. Mens Downhill and Womens Figure Skating are IMO the blue ribbon events for most of the world.
I think a fair few North Americans and Europeans might disagree with you on that one. The men's hockey is very open this time.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:25 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Only in Canada. Nobody in Europe gives a flying whatnot about hockey. The alpine skiing competitions [and I'd agree with Bells that the GS is right up there with the downhill] are the stuff of coffehouse conversations. Alberto Tomba was pretty much a folk hero in Italy for his flamboyant slalom and GS style. Reich, Maier, Stenmark, Zurbriggen, Aamodt - all household names across Europe through the years.

I don't think many Swedes or Norwegians could name more than a slack handful of their current hockeyists (OK, at least in part because they don't play in Sweden and Norway every week, but that's rather the point...)
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Only in Canada. Nobody in Europe gives a flying whatnot about hockey..)
Are you sure? That just doesn't seem right. Are you counting Russia as part of Europe?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Alberto Tomba was pretty much a folk hero in Italy for his flamboyant slalom and GS style.
Perhaps because he was Italian?

I guess it illustrates the point that nations will naturally focus on the events where they have a good chance of winning. Did anyone in Sweden care about Slalom before Stenmark? Probably not. Did anyone in the UK care about Skeleton bob before we had potential medal winners?

Hockey is the huge draw in Canada because its a sport that Canada has traditionally dominated and its part of the fabric of life here. After they went out early in Turin in 2006, Canadian olympic TV ratings tanked. Hockey will be followed in places like Russia and Sweden that have competitive teams, but its perhaps not the passion / religion that it is here where Canadians expect gold and anything less is a disappointment.

Those countries that dont traditionally dominate events tend to identify the winter olympics with alpine skiing and figure skating.

There were some interesting stats on viewing figures by continent here;
http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Rep...eport_1087.pdf
but I couldnt find any info breaking global TV ratings down by event. The report did however single out Canada for being focused on the hockey!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 12th 2014 at 1:43 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:39 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
So... back to Sochi..

Who is supporting Canada rather than the UK, anyone?

If you support one and they don't do well, do you switch to the other team?

http://www.teamgb.com/games/sochi-2014
http://olympic.ca/games/2014-sochi/
Keeping an eye on both...but primarily Canada as that is the main coverage received.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Huh? How many black African people have Irish names?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:48 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

I just supported Canada in the great win against the US Women's Iced Hockey........ don't you just love it when an US International team (at any sport) gets beaten
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:58 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
I just supported Canada in the great win against the US Women's Iced Hockey........ don't you just love it when an US International team (at any sport) gets beaten
The last couple of minutes of that were nail-biting!

My word but Agosta is fast!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
I find such gloating distasteful.

In any case, as a resident of Canada one should be grateful to America for being so close, so warm, so interesting and such a generator of economic wellbeing; in the presence of Americans people who live in Canada should touch their forelocks and indulge them. This is doubly the case for people who like iced hockey since professional iced hockey is primarily an American activity, Canada's proximity to the US allows it to have professional, admittedly men's, teams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.