so much has changed

Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default so much has changed

I was reading old threads that I used to follow from back in 2008 this morning and it struck me how many posters are no longer on here. How many posted from Nova Scotia too. There were loads and all were positive. They are either no longer on here or they are no longer living here and their posts take a completely different tone. It's sad in a way.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so much has changed

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I was reading old threads that I used to follow from back in 2008 this morning and it struck me how many posters are no longer on here. How many posted from Nova Scotia too. There were loads and all were positive. They are either no longer on here or they are no longer living here and their posts take a completely different tone. It's sad in a way.
Perhaps they're ontheboatout.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Probably
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:23 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps they're ontheboatout.

Or they've all migrated to the Promised Land of the North Shore !
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:25 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Or they've all migrated to the Promised Land of the North Shore !
Oh where's that?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:31 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Oh where's that?
The North Shore of NS of course. The teeming metropolises of Pugwash, Wallace, Tatamagouch et al. It's where jobs abound and the streets are paved with gold ! Or at least that what they (ontheboatout) would have you believe.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:10 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you my experience as I think this is a personal thing although from posting on here for about 7 years, I have seen a pattern.

So, for me, it was a dream come true to move out to Canada. My hubby and I had always wanted to emigrate to Ontario but following a trip to an emigration fair in London, we did a last minute turn around and ended up in NS. Maybe our first mistake?
The first year is really exciting as you are finding your way; house hunting, job hunting, car hunting, exploring, doing all the tourist stuff, etc.
I found this site when I was still in the 'honeymoon period' and so my posts were probably really positive and friendly trying to help others and give advice. Time goes on an things become 'normal'; working, shopping, paying bills, working, shopping, paying bills, etc. The 'dream' starts to fade as you realise it's same sh1t, different country, but without your old friends and family around you.
The posts start fading along with your dreams and you no longer have the energy to help others but you just want a moan about how things are and how you're missing home. You start comparing country to country and talk yourself into not liking it anymore.
I try not to diss Canada (although I know I do) because it, and it's people, was really good to us and it's not the countries fault that I got homesick and wanted to return. Although I don't always say it, I had some really good times in NS and met some fantastic people (you included Howe) and will return for a visit one day. I just don't want to live there anymore.

Sorry for going on, but this is my opinion only so please don't slate me. hope this answers your question?

Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:18 pm
Happy

This makes total sense to me and I appreciate this post.

I too went through something similar in the first phases, and then it was so very hard because I loved everything except working here. Working here was a challenge for sure.

Now I have my current job I feel differently, thank god. I am one of those people that's greatly affected by my work environment.

It's just so hard to see all the posters type of posts change. I think something somewhere affected everyone. Immigration is certainly not for the faint hearted however it turns out.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:20 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

This makes total sense to me and I appreciate this post.

I too went through something similar in the first phases, and then it was so very hard because I loved everything except working here. Working here was a challenge for sure.

Now I have my current job I feel differently, thank god. I am one of those people that's greatly affected by my work environment.

It's just so hard to see all the posters type of posts change. I think something somewhere affected everyone. Immigration is certainly not for the faint hearted however it turns out.

It's definitely not!
I thought I was made of tougher stuff having moved around England a lot from town to town & county to county, I thought I would be fine in another country, but it is totally different! We may speak the same language, but the culture is not the same.

For me, I loved my job but hated who I worked with. The problem left after a year or so and then I really loved my job and place of work, but ultimately, it wasn't enough.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first joined, this place was pretty busy, especially the US forum, you could spend hours reading posts sometimes because as soon as you refreshed the page there would be new ones..lol.. Now this place has some super slow days.

I've never looked back on my old posts from years back, no idea if mine have changed, but would not surprise me, I was fairly optimistic when I first got to Canada, had a different life and wife and over time that went down hill, then we split, I went off to the US for 11 months, then back to Canada and kind of did the wandering thing, moved numerous times, lots stuff happening and not for the better.

Now I am more stable, but still in a funk as I have never done well in Canada for the most part which does play a role in one's mental health, confidence and self esteem.

I forget user names a lot but I know there are a good number who used post here and don't now.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:03 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

As you know we are moving to Calgary area but it's not because we don't like NS, it's because that's where my husband works at a job he really enjoys. So we are going out for financial reasons. I am always up for new experiences so just regard it as another path on life's journey. In recent weeks we have visited Charlottetown in PEI and have spent of couple of weekends in Halifax, places we both really like. We have already said that we might just return to Halifax area to retire because we have always lived by the ocean.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds quite familuwr, j6st tookba bit longer, our initial plan was Ontario, still may givenit a go, but other things may change yet...
Originally Posted by Lorry1
I can tell you my experience as I think this is a personal thing although from posting on here for about 7 years, I have seen a pattern.

So, for me, it was a dream come true to move out to Canada. My hubby and I had always wanted to emigrate to Ontario but following a trip to an emigration fair in London, we did a last minute turn around and ended up in NS. Maybe our first mistake?
The first year is really exciting as you are finding your way; house hunting, job hunting, car hunting, exploring, doing all the tourist stuff, etc.
I found this site when I was still in the 'honeymoon period' and so my posts were probably really positive and friendly trying to help others and give advice. Time goes on an things become 'normal'; working, shopping, paying bills, working, shopping, paying bills, etc. The 'dream' starts to fade as you realise it's same sh1t, different country, but without your old friends and family around you.
The posts start fading along with your dreams and you no longer have the energy to help others but you just want a moan about how things are and how you're missing home. You start comparing country to country and talk yourself into not liking it anymore.
I try not to diss Canada (although I know I do) because it, and it's people, was really good to us and it's not the countries fault that I got homesick and wanted to return. Although I don't always say it, I had some really good times in NS and met some fantastic people (you included Howe) and will return for a visit one day. I just don't want to live there anymore.

Sorry for going on, but this is my opinion only so please don't slate me. hope this answers your question?

Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

It's good to see all the posts as they change, they maybe good or sad but every one is a help to all

We moved to Canada as I had a great job offer, we landed in Ottawa and the journey began. As always the first year was fun fun fun, seeing the city and just enjoying our new life! I was working for a company based here but my area was China, I travelled for 6 weeks and came home for 10 days..... Hmmm, but I made the most of it with my wife.

I hated working for the company after the first 6 months as Canadian companies seem to have the worst working environments and policies I've ever seen! After a few years I had to leave the company and Ottawa for my own reasons but they both had a huge toll on my health , both physically and mentally.... I ended up extremely tired and mentally drained After 4 years we moved to BC, I left the company and have never in my life received such a bitter good bye as then. It seems they thought I was a hostage to the TWP and could treat me as they thought fit.

I can't say I hate Canada but it wasn't an easy start to be honest. I ended up feeling not dissimilar to jsmith. Now we have relocated I feel much better, it's still hard to make real friends and find a nice company to work for but my quality of life has improved! I am no longer a hostage of The TWP
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:36 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Seven years is quite a long time too. We all change as time goes on, especially where there are kids involved (different successes and challenges).

Lorry1 - good post
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:11 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind the effect of the recession, a few years ago we were all in Canada riding high what was a rocky road for many countries, but we seemed to do quite well, the CAD$ ran high, shopping in the US was a great way to cut costs, we had some form of Job security other countries would envy, we were a great place to be in the recession…
Well economic recovery has started in many places, and the dollar has shifted back, any thoughts about being on top of the game have dissolved away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.