Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So its not all about Toronto after all.

So its not all about Toronto after all.

Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So its not all about Toronto after all.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
In the past when nobody worried about that sort of stuff it was done, but these days with surveyors etc and very precise drawings required, I have my doubts that the eaves are over the lot line.
Heh! I think we're guilty, I believe our new roof overhangs the lot line. Henceforth, I shall think of the house as our McMansion.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Heh! I think we're guilty, I believe our new roof overhangs the lot line. Henceforth, I shall think of the house as our McMansion.
Speaking of McMansions, this one is quite stunning

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_thCztsx8ll8/TU.../P70322500.jpg
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of McMansions, this one is quite stunning

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_thCztsx8ll8/TU.../P70322500.jpg
No columns, no visible brass/copper, all the windows the same shape, construction of that on Indian Road would bring a breath of tasteful moderation to the street.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No columns, no visible brass/copper, all the windows the same shape, construction of that on Indian Road would bring a breath of tasteful moderation to the street.
Is this more your vernacular?

http://g.co/maps/bvpu6

The whole neighbourhood has this faux mansion theme to it.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Is this more your vernacular?

http://g.co/maps/bvpu6

The whole neighbourhood has this faux mansion theme to it.
Wow, that's fugly.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that the building (or its eaves) go beyond the lot lines? In the past when nobody worried about that sort of stuff it was done, but these days with surveyors etc and very precise drawings required, I have my doubts that the eaves are over the lot line.
I was perhaps speaking figuratively. There is perhaps 4 inches between the eaves and the property line on the one side and a yawning 3 foot gap on the other. They had to leave that so that they could get in with a bobcat to dig up what was left at the back for a swimming pool.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough

Whatever.... please dont come as far as the Okanagan.. we like it as it is
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:31 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'd suggest Nunavut is a destination with lots of potential.

Would "the West" like to welcome my neighbours opposite? They really piss me off. They knocked down a rather charming smaller house and then built a hideous pseudo McMansion which drips overs the sides of the not very large lot.

I've no idea why they want to live in Ontario, let alone Richmond Hill.
If it's their house and not yours, then what seems to be the problem?