Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So, the federation is safe for another 4 years...

So, the federation is safe for another 4 years...

Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, the federation is safe for another 4 years...

Quebec Votes 2008

The Libs took 66 seats for a provincial parliamentary majority. The PQ move back into official opposition status with 51 seats. The ADQ were obliterated taking only 7 (compared to 39 in '07).

Wonder if this will 'egg on' the federal Liberal party to bring down the government in Jan?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So, the federation is safe for another 4 years...

Am I the only one that thought "Star Trek" when they saw this thread?
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Am I the only one that thought "Star Trek" when they saw this thread?
Word on the street, that's safe too.

Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
Quebec Votes 2008

The Libs took 66 seats for a provincial parliamentary majority. The PQ move back into official opposition status with 51 seats. The ADQ were obliterated taking only 7 (compared to 39 in '07).

Wonder if this will 'egg on' the federal Liberal party to bring down the government in Jan?
I still haven't worked this one out. Is it a big political shift, or just a return to a Liberal-PQ stand-off? The destruction of the ADQ came as no surprise but I'm not certain as to whether the PQ picked up seats because of dis-satisfaction with the ADQ or because of Harper's inflammatory comments.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I still haven't worked this one out. Is it a big political shift, or just a return to a Liberal-PQ stand-off? The destruction of the ADQ came as no surprise but I'm not certain as to whether the PQ picked up seats because of dis-satisfaction with the ADQ or because of Harper's inflammatory comments.
I reckon a bit of both. I definitely think Harper played a bad card just going on about "Separatists". The ADQ stood for something at the last election and just seem to have become invisible IMO.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quebec Votes 2008

I think it's not very relevant. The "connect" between provincial politics in Quebec (and elsewhere except Alberta) is fairly tenuous. (As I'm sure you know).
Old Dec 9th 2008, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think it's not very relevant. The "connect" between provincial politics in Quebec (and elsewhere except Alberta) is fairly tenuous. (As I'm sure you know).
Yes. Around here the provincial Liberals won big time yesterday, as usual. Well over 60% of the vote in my riding, which remained Bloc at the last federal election.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yes. Around here the provincial Liberals won big time yesterday, as usual. Well over 60% of the vote in my riding, which remained Bloc at the last federal election.
As an afterthought... I suppose it does make it even less credible for Harper to scream "separitists" if the coalition still has legs in January.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:18 pm

As an afterthought... I suppose it does make it even less credible for Harper to scream "separitists" if the coalition still has legs in January.
I suspect that Harper is not pleased with the outcome. The downfall of the ADQ was widely expected but I reckon he would have liked to see a massive shift to the PQ. Disillusioned with the ADQ, some soft separatists have gone back to the PQ; others have gone to the QLP.

The increase in QLP seats may well work in favour of the coalition. From what I have read, the Bloc and QLP are not a million miles apart in ideology.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exactly.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:13 pm
Born again atheist

Exactly.
<sorry for being thicker than usual>
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:52 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A driver is stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway. Nothing
is moving. Suddenly a man knocks on the window.
The driver rolls down his window and asks, 'What's going on?'
'Terrorists down the road have kidnapped Dion, Layton and Duceppe.
They're asking for a $10 million ransom, otherwise they're going to douse
them with gasoline and set them on fire. We're going from car to car, taking up a collection.'
The driver asks, 'How much is everyone giving, on average?'
'Most people are giving about four litres!'
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
them with gasoline and set them on fire. We're going from car to car, taking up a collection.'
I'll chip in 10 litres if they'll take Mayor Miller from Toronto too!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:46 am
Born again atheist

Ho, ho, ho.

Twunt.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.