Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

So the £ is on the way up..

So the £ is on the way up..

Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:04 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default So the £ is on the way up..

Hello guys, came to Canada in May 2013 and exchanged some GBP into CAD @ 1.53. And I just checked it on XE.com and its gone up to nearly 1.65. I still havent brought my savings from the UK as I was hoping the rate might get better some time in the future. Obviously not expecting it to jump to pre 2008 rates again considering the state of the British economy but it wont hurt too much at 1.80 or above . Any ideas whats going on and if this trend is likely to continue?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So the £ is on the way up..

don't know which way its headed or the real reason the FX is has gone up in the last 6-12 months. In April 2010 it was down to 1.45:1

Way back in early 1967 when I came to Canada it was 3:1, then by September that year it was 2.50 .... how would you like those numbers?

Maybe one of the financial wizards on here would know why the pound is on the up & a predication of were its headed
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
don't know which way its headed or the real reason the FX is has gone up in the last 6-12 months. In April 2010 it was down to 1.45:1

Way back in early 1967 when I came to Canada it was 3:1, then by September that year it was 2.50 .... how would you like those numbers?

Maybe one of the financial wizards on here would know why the pound is on the up & a predication of were its headed
We used to have a currency spot trader on here, cneldred I think he was called. He stopped posting in 2008. I wonder why?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:44 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

It was hovering around 1.5 from July onwards until recently reaching 1.65 then the syria conflict pushed Canadian oil prices up and the ratio down. UK has been having "positive" outlooks on unemployment and growth (always happens before winter construction fuels the summer growth)
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:28 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We used to have a currency spot trader on here, cneldred I think he was called. He stopped posting in 2008. I wonder why?
Did himself in?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:30 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Hello guys, came to Canada in May 2013 and exchanged some GBP into CAD @ 1.53. And I just checked it on XE.com and its gone up to nearly 1.65. I still havent brought my savings from the UK as I was hoping the rate might get better some time in the future. Obviously not expecting it to jump to pre 2008 rates again considering the state of the British economy but it wont hurt too much at 1.80 or above . Any ideas whats going on and if this trend is likely to continue?
Got up to about 1.65 a few times in the past couple of years but it always seems to dip back down again. If it can get above this level for a sustained period further questions would be required.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:10 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Got up to about 1.65 a few times in the past couple of years but it always seems to dip back down again. If it can get above this level for a sustained period further questions would be required.
Is it because you think the state of UK's economy will continue to be in a bad shape and the GBP deserves to be weak?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Is it because you think the state of UK's economy will continue to be in a bad shape and the GBP deserves to be weak?
Wow, quite the loaded question you've got there, sir
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:15 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
It's a tough call because Mark Carney seems to want to ape Canada's export led recovery by keeping interest rates low, but the mini-house price boom is already suggesting that rates will have to be raised sooner rather than later. And then Sterling will rise a bit. 1.60-1.80 is my 9 month prediction. P.S. The UK economy is now on a recovery track.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's a tough call because Mark Carney seems to want to ape Canada's export led recovery by keeping interest rates low, but the mini-house price boom is already suggesting that rates will have to be raised sooner rather than later. And then Sterling will rise a bit. 1.60-1.80 is my 9 month prediction. P.S. The UK economy is now on a recovery track.
That's interesting, because it seems to me to be on a fast track back to 2008.

Nobody in the UK (BoE, Government, the City) seems to have learnt a damn thing about why the crash happened in the first place.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:50 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Edo
It's often a game of comparisons really. Whether the UK economy is better or worse than the Canadian one is a big debate in itself.

I think the UK is unduly hamstrung by the EU interference. There is also the question of how the landscape will be this time next year when the Scottish have their vote and the myriad implications of that result.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:15 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it crashes into the sea for my Christmas trip.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:31 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geo4
Hope it crashes into the sea for my Christmas trip.
What will that achieve? Plus the sea will be much colder around that time!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it doesn't affect the price of English mustard as I'm going through quite a lot lately.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:05 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
What will that achieve? Plus the sea will be much colder around that time!
I'll be able to afford more pints at the local pub and pick up some bargains on shopping like, innit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.