Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Smart TV or Dunce TV with gadget?

Smart TV or Dunce TV with gadget?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smart TV or Dunce TV with gadget?

I am accustomed to watching movies and things on my laptop, giving over the main TV to the others (needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few or the one and all that ) and I'm quite happy doing that.

There are times, however, when I'd like a slightly bigger screen and maybe sometimes not having to listen by earphones.

I don't want to run to the cost of a bigger laptop just for a 17" screen. None of our TVs have HDMI or USB - although the PlayStation does take a thumbdrive but, again, I leave that to the others.

We have flat monitors (19" and 21") left from old desktop computers but neither are connectable, other than through a computer and I don't want to set it up again just to play a movie.

I've seen a non smart 32" TV for $160 in Canadian Tire and this week Walmart has a 32" Smart TV (Westinghouse) down to $158.

Slightly more expensive Smart TVs are on Walmart which sound similar but all the reviews are mixed. Good for the price. Rubbish. USB doesn't work, yes it does, no it doesn't it's for "service" only (whatever that means). Picture/sound disappeared after a week. I have to return it at my own expense. Perfect for the cottage. Great TV but sound not so good although external speakers solve this. By a proper Brand and so on

But then you read the reviews of the "proper" Brands and they are just as mixed. It all seems so hit and miss, perhaps unless you spend thousands.

I watch very little 'live'...mainly just footie and the quality of those streams is always inferior to TV/Movie streams watched 'live' (even though we have great internet) so I'm also reluctant to part with cash for a Smart TV that may be no better.

But maybe it would on equipment set up for that only?

Is a non smart TV with added internet gadget, of whatever kind, as good as a Smart TV? Anyone have any recommendations or warnings or knowledge of a TV say 19-24 that does take a movie by USB or at least HDMI? And works well with whatever gadget you recommend?

I'm looking for something of secondary use initially so it doesn't have to be great. Just a way of watching something on a bigger screen than my laptop.

But if it also contributed to weaning everyone else off the need for an expensive TV viewing package, so much the better.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart TV or Dunce TV with gadget?

I think the software that comes with a so-called smart tv is usually rubbish. Get a regular tv and a media player stick, it'll be much better imo.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:29 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Better to get a TV you can add on to:

Get a TV with a HDMI port or two, then you can plug in whatever you want. I have a TV with an Apple box and an antenna and a second TV with Rogers cable (light), an Android box and a Microsoft dongle so we can cast TV from a Surface 3.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a smart TV, didn't purposely buy one it just happened to be the least costly of the options at the time, it was the previous model as well, so Wal-Mart just wanted to clear them out.

Anyhow, largely the smart aspect is never used, only benefit I see is I didn't have to do anything to stream Netflix, but the other features we have never used, and while I did try to surf the internet on it and it sorta did work, it was just a total pain.

I don't really see the benefit to the smart TV other then netflix being slightly easier to use.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Just plug your laptop into the dunce tv
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:11 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
If only it was that easy. The TV would need a monitor socket for the easiest solution
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:11 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

'dunce TV' always, take it from a simpleton that likes 'simple is best'

Fads, Gizmo & gadgets are for idiots

Then again, what would I know about technology, or even care if it existed!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

alternatively get a DVD player that also has a USB and/or SD card input, then play through this via HDMI to the TV. Works perfectly for us as I can watch on my desktop monitor whilst 'er indoors watches UK TV programmes via the USB - our internet is erratic for streaming.
An interesting point - our TV is a top of the range Panasonic smart TV bought in UK before we moved here. It is though now 5 years old and this means the software on it is ancient in computer terms and is limited in what formats it can play via a USB plugged directly into the TV. The dvd player - also a Panasonic - is 3 years old and has appropriate software gubbins allowing it to play most modern video formats - except the latest H265 codec, so I just convert these to an older format to play on the TV.(on the desktop VLC plays anything!)
modern smart TVs will have updated software so may play formats ours cannot.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the software that comes with a so-called smart tv is usually rubbish. Get a regular tv and a media player stick, it'll be much better imo.
Now that you mention it, one of the reviews said something about flashplayer being out of date and they couldn't update it.

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Better to get a TV you can add on to: Get a TV with a HDMI port or two,...
So another vote for dunce.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have a smart TV...the other features we have never used, and while I did try to surf the internet on it and it sorta did work, it was just a total pain.

I don't really see the benefit to the smart TV other then netflix being slightly easier to use.
Yep, it's really just meant to be a screen for me with the added possibility of TV just to see how well it works.

That gets my vote and a few others.

Originally Posted by quiltman
alternatively get a DVD player that also has a USB and/or SD card input, then play through this via HDMI to the TV.
That was certainly on the cards a few years ago for general TV viewing. We have a DVD player without that capability but I can't even remember when it was last used.

But for me to do that means taking over the TV that the others watch and I'm trying to avoid that. I can do it via the TV upstairs but that's a bit too unsociable while they're downstairs.

Works perfectly for us as I can watch on my desktop monitor
I used to download stuff onto a thumbdrive and play back via my computer when they were both sited on the same desk. I wouldn't mind just moving my desktop monitor when I wanted it but there's no input for it.....

Or is there...Until now I've been thinking how nice it would be to have HDMI on the monitor. But it's just occurred to me.

Could I simply attach the monitor to the laptop using the lead that otherwise goes into the computer tower and do it that way, with power plugged in? It fits the 3x5 pin connection on the laptop.

And if so, how does one 'send' the playback to the monitor but not have it on the laptop monitor?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:13 am

Yes
It usually just displays on the monitor, so instead of looking at the laptop screen to set up look at the monitor.

BTW make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on before the laptop is turned on, or the lap top won't recognise it

Last edited by magnumpi; Nov 18th 2016 at 1:19 am.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really non technical...but even I can do this...so I sometimes just shove the HDMI cable from my laptop into the big screen.

Sometimes, you just need time for 'you'...this morning, everybody went, and in a fit of capriciousness, I made fried egg on toast...it was delicious...but if they were all here, the broken yolk would have been mine! Today I had a perfect yolk...we All deserve a perfect yolk day sometimes Bristol
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:26 am
Oscar nominated

Yes
It usually just displays on the monitor, so instead of looking at the laptop screen to set up look at the monitor.

BTW make sure the monitor is plugged in and turned on before the laptop is turned on, or the lap top won't recognise it
Thanks.

Ridiculous...the number of times I looked at the other monitors for an HDMI slot....

It literally just came to me as I was typing about moving just the monitor...I thought...hang on, it plugs into the tower so it may plug into the laptop. I'm so slow.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by MillieF
I'm really non technical...but even I can do this...so I sometimes just shove the HDMI cable from my laptop into the big screen.

Sometimes, you just need time for 'you'...this morning, everybody went, and in a fit of capriciousness, I made fried egg on toast...it was delicious...but if they were all here, the broken yolk would have been mine! Today I had a perfect yolk...we All deserve a perfect yolk day sometimes Bristol
Non of his current TVz have HDMI
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:31 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
.....but if they were all here, the broken yolk would have been mine!
Oh that is so true. I was on holiday with a few mates once and I was designated cook - mainly as I was the only one who could do it properly. But even if I broke the yolk I thought "my fault, I'll have it" but when you're a parent you make the sacrifice no matter who broke it.

Today I had a perfect yolk...we All deserve a perfect yolk day sometimes Bristol
I'm imagining you in a cave on a mountain top with advice like that.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:36 am
Oscar nominated

It usually just displays on the monitor, so instead of looking at the laptop screen to set up look at the monitor...
Of course it won't do anything about convincing others that the TV package can be replaced yet, but the immediate priority is the 19 inch screen rather than 15.

One extra thing...will the sound still be available in the earphone jack on the laptop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.