Skunked

Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skunked

Thanks everyone for the tips!
I shot down the pet shop this morning and bought something he recommended... Skunks-etc. It works on carpets and car interiors too!
You mix it 3:1 with warm water, pour it on the animal and rub it in as well as you can, then let it dry.
I did it once and there was a big improvement, but the smell was still there, so did it again and it seems to have gone. Just going to take her to a lake for a swim and I'll post back (apparently the smell comes back when the dog gets wet if not properly cleaned away).
Company website is here:

http://naturalchemistry.com/Pet_amp_Home_1.html

Fingers crossed it works, or we're going to have to get the peroxide etc!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:50 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Curious about the ingredients, I've looked at the MSDS and it would appear the only active ingredient is ethanol.

http://naturalchemistry.com/get_file...KUNKS%20ETC-EN

Originally Posted by geedee

http://naturalchemistry.com/Pet_amp_Home_1.html

Fingers crossed it works, or we're going to have to get the peroxide etc!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Curious about the ingredients, I've looked at the MSDS and it would appear the only active ingredient is ethanol.
From the bottle:
Aqua (!)
Saccharomyces
Sodium Hydroxymethylglicinate
Ethyl Alcohol
Citric Acid
Yucca Schidigera Stem Extract
Parfum

No idea what most of those are.... the bottle does say it is "Unconditionally Guaranteed and removes the toughest odours permanently"..... quite the claim! So far it seems to have done the job... we even used it to wash the rug she lay on when she got in.... I'll let you know the results of the "lake test"...
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:37 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely has me wondering if just mixing a cap full of rubbing alcohol (or isopropyl alcohol) with warm water, dog shampoo and some lemon juice would do the same job.

Novocastrian might be able to offer some professional guidance on this. (However, with regard to the photo he posted in the pictures thread, I think he could himself deskunk a dog by simply breathing on it. I doubt there'd be too much fur or skin loss and the tail can easily be reattached with duct tape.)

Originally Posted by geedee
From the bottle:
Aqua (!)
Saccharomyces
Sodium Hydroxymethylglicinate
Ethyl Alcohol
Citric Acid
Yucca Schidigera Stem Extract
Parfum

No idea what most of those are.... the bottle does say it is "Unconditionally Guaranteed and removes the toughest odours permanently"..... quite the claim! So far it seems to have done the job... we even used it to wash the rug she lay on when she got in.... I'll let you know the results of the "lake test"...
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in the states, there were skunks everywhere. We were advised to always keep tomato juice and vinegar in the house.
Looking at the ingredients list that you've just posted, I think a mixture of warm water, soda crystals and white vinegar would work.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Definitely has me wondering if just mixing a cap full of rubbing alcohol (or isopropyl alcohol) with warm water, dog shampoo and some lemon juice would do the same job.

Novocastrian might be able to offer some professional guidance on this. (However, with regard to the photo he posted in the pictures thread, I think he could himself deskunk a dog by simply breathing on it. I doubt there'd be too much fur or skin loss and the tail can easily be reattached with duct tape.)
You might be right...

I looked up some of those ingredients... none of them seem to have anything to do with deodorising! One is used as a preservative, another used in skin conditioning creams, another for brewing!!

I only found two reviews for it online, and both said they were shocked at how it worked.... well, better get to the lake!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:24 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
hydrogen peroxide, bicarbonate of soda and washing liquid. Lots and lots of times! Worked for us after ours got skunked on our first night in our new house! Was that bad, the kids all woke up 3 floors up from the smell!!
Mine has been done 4 times and above is only thing that helped, at least 3 baths in it, even still the smell lingers for weeks, especially when they get wet again
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:12 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Having had no luck with tomato juice, I shaved the dog.

That doesn't work on humans though

Whatever happened to using Fabreeze or Windex?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by el_richo
If you urinate on the dog a few times (or have multiple family members join in) it gets rid of the skunk smell.

Oh, and by the way, it's "Smelled".

Sounds more like something you would see on Redtube.

Oh, and by the way, its either, but more likely smelt.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I used the stuff from the vets, I had to go to the after hours emergency place to get it, I did not take the dog but was barely through the door and they were reaching for the bottle with the words 'you need this'. It was totally humiliating on the GO train the next day as I was aware of much sniffing amongst my fellow passengers. The vets lotion helped the skunk smell but smelt so bad itself it was barely an improvement. Smell had just faded when dog got skunked again, it took several months before it totally disappeared, particularly when he was wet.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seedubs
Sounds more like something you would see on Redtube.

Oh, and by the way, its either, but more likely smelt.
Smelled would be more likely, and more correct.

You're welcome

What's red tube?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
What's red tube?
Everyone knows you work at home - it's no good pretending you've never heard of it.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:42 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Everyone knows you work at home - it's no good pretending you've never heard of it.
I just googled it. Now I need to delete my iPad history before my wife uses it.

Maybe I'll delete it tomorrow...

...or Thursday.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:49 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

febreeze? :P
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, moving on from the Adult Section....

That stuff works a treat. Our dog did still smell a bit of skunk straight after swimming, but I'd say the strength was about 5% of what it was this morning... now she's dry, she smells good enough to let back in the house!

Not bad for $14 (plus tax, of course).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.