Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Shouldn't Toronto get its own house in order before it criticizes Alberta?

Shouldn't Toronto get its own house in order before it criticizes Alberta?

Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shouldn't Toronto get its own house in order before it criticizes Alberta?

Patronizing Globe Mail headline ignores reality in Western Canada

Discuss
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shouldn't Toronto get its own house in order before it criticizes Alberta?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
She has a really boring hair style and " Chiclets" for teath.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shouldn't Toronto get its own house in order before it criticizes Alberta?

What marks the author as being a bit backward and provincial, a bit Canadian, if you will, is the idea that the everything that happens outside of her direct view happens in Toronto.

The Globe and Mail doesn't claim to be a Toronto paper and, in Toronto, it's not thought to be one.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 4th 2011 at 1:33 pm. Reason: It was hairsplitting to differentiate between Canadians.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What marks the author as being a bit backward and provincial, a bit Canadian, if you will, is the idea that the everything that happens outside of her direct view happens in Toronto.

The Globe and Mail doesn't claim to be a Toronto paper and, in Toronto, it's not thought to be one.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:10 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Jesus...

Patronizing, yep...
because IMHO there is now way any part of Canada is "jumping into the present", 21st century it isn't...The reference to Toronto being stuck in the 1990's is about right, however my experience of the prairies is that a jump forward might get them to the 1980's and not much further, and some parts are right wing religious enough to be trying to jump backwards as fast as they can
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Do they fly in the staff?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Jesus...

Patronizing, yep...
because IMHO there is now way any part of Canada is "jumping into the present", 21st century it isn't...The reference to Toronto being stuck in the 1990's is about right, however my experience of the prairies is that a jump forward might get them to the 1980's and not much further, and some parts are right wing religious enough to be trying to jump backwards as fast as they can
Meh, you and a few others spew the same tripe all the time. The article was directed at you and your type who seem to have no issues putting down someone or somewhere else. She was talking you to and DBD.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Meh, you and a few others spew the same tripe all the time. The article was directed at you and your type who seem to have no issues putting down someone or somewhere else. She was talking you to and DBD.
Totaly understand that...

Shame she's stuck in a rut in Calagary and all she can go on about was how once upon a time Alberta was leading the charge in social reform, certainly that stopped a long time ago...

But hey, ranting on about the past, and how Canada was once great, well almost nearly great is a national pastime....
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's an element of truth in it. Ontario, Quebec are older societies, old money etc.

Alberta reminds me a tiny bit of NZ in this respect. A rural, conservative electorate voted in a transgendered MP years ago in NZ. It's about the person though - are they any good? Is this person going to represent me well in Parliament? CLearly she was so she got the votes, regardless of her past. To me it's not a surprise, but to anyone looking outside I guess it would seem unusual.

NZ is more rural/conservative yet we've had a female PM for years - a real one who was elected on her own merits not shuffled in by backroom subterfuge. WE have yet to see this in Canada.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm not surprised at all by Alberta. It's a young, growing, prosperous province - maybe because of that the people are more open.

I'm surprised that Torontonians don't consider the G&M a toronto paper cos it seems like one to me. It's clear from reading some of the articles that some of the journalists have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to western canada, but then other times they have really good articles, so I'm a bit confused as to whether they're trying to be a national newspaper or whether they're still trying to be a Toronto paper with a touch of the rest of Canada. I wish there were a decent alternative in BC but all the local papers here are shit.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 5th 2011 at 4:20 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I think there's an element of truth in it. Ontario, Quebec are older societies, old money etc.

Alberta reminds me a tiny bit of NZ in this respect. A rural, conservative electorate voted in a transgendered MP years ago in NZ. It's about the person though - are they any good? Is this person going to represent me well in Parliament? CLearly she was so she got the votes, regardless of her past. To me it's not a surprise, but to anyone looking outside I guess it would seem unusual.

NZ is more rural/conservative yet we've had a female PM for years - a real one who was elected on her own merits not shuffled in by backroom subterfuge. WE have yet to see this in Canada.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm not surprised at all by Alberta. It's a young, growing, prosperous province - maybe because of that the people are more open.

I'm surprised that Torontonians don't consider the G&M a toronto paper cos it seems like one to me. It's clear from reading some of the articles that some of the journalists have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to western canada, but then other times they have really good articles, so I'm a bit confused as to whether they're trying to be a national newspaper or whether they're still trying to be a Toronto paper with a touch of the rest of Canada. I wish there were a decent alternative in BC but all the local papers here are shit.
She was voted in by members of the Party, not the electorate of Joe Schmuck on the street. Although there was nothing to prevent Mr. Schmuck from buying a party membership and then voting.

From what I have seen and heard of her, I believe she will be good for Alberta; time will tell
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
She has a really boring hair style and " Chiclets" for teath.
She's not that bad - i'd still give her the best 23 seconds of her life

Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:36 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
She's not that bad - i'd still give her the best 23 seconds of her life

With some help from your friend "V" am guessing?