Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2374963/
Old Mar 20th 2012, 7:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should your new employer have access to your Social Networking ?

Nope. End of.

What happened to any distinction between you work life and your private life? Cell phones and crackberries are intrusion enough and erode the division between life and work more than enough if you ask me.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 20th 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Nope. End of.

What happened to any distinction between you work life and your private life? Cell phones and crackberries are intrusion enough and erode the division between life and work more than enough if you ask me.
I agree.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. End of.

Then don't post on such sites while at work.

There is also the argument that if you are taking a sickie when you shouldn't and you are silly enough to post about it, you deserve to get caught. In the olden days this required effort and expense on the part of employers. Careless employees make such investigations much easier these days.

So, with the distinction between work and private life argument, what happens when your child is sick and you need time off work to stay home and look after them. On the basis of your position it appears that the employer shouldn't care and should disallow any such indulgences. Such a black and white distintion is not possible. A good employer will give and take as will a good employee.

The login question was silly but I believe that employers are justified in carrying out whatever background checks they believe are appropriate before hiring someone, as long as such checks are legal. Employers may use such actions as a way of weeding out bullshitters.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

There is also the argument that if you are taking a sickie when you shouldn't and you are silly enough to post about it, you deserve to get caught. In the olden days this required effort and expense on the part of employers. Careless employees make such investigations much easier these days.

So, with the distinction between work and private life argument, what happens when your child is sick and you need time off work to stay home and look after them. On the basis of your position it appears that the employer shouldn't care and should disallow any such indulgences. Such a black and white distintion is not possible. A good employer will give and take as will a good employee.

The login question was silly but I believe that employers are justified in carrying out whatever background checks they believe are appropriate before hiring someone, as long as such checks are legal. Employers may use such actions as a way of weeding out bullshitters.
Its nothing to do with "posting at work", and as a general principal I stick with my original reply, judge me in person, and by the work I do. If you want to snoop around then knock yourself out, but if you are using social media to make snap judgments, and expecting candidates to bend over and help with that then more fool you.

Hell, why not demand that you can see their bank balance information, to determine that they are not embezzling, or to see how badly they need the job. Its an unjustified intrusion, end of story.

Kids get sick, people take time off, that's life, the employer can approve or not, but its going to happen anyway, so any employer, good or bad, is going to have to deal with it one way or another anyway. I dont see what that has to do with wanting access to peoples facebook pages.

AS for work life balance its interesting that VW recently introduced a system that limits emails on employee crackberries etc to working only within well defined office hours. More employeers should follow that lead IMO, its just a job. Of course the alternative is also out there, the "off" button. I believe these devices have one somewhere, but not many people seem to know about it...

Last edited by iaink; Mar 20th 2012 at 9:13 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. End of.
Got to agree.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Would you furnish said employer with photographs when requested of what you get up to with Mrs AC in the bedroom ? Pony riding, S & M, Mr AC dressed as an Edwardian lady ? They don't want sexual deviants, in their opinion, working for their company.

Or is it none of their f*****g business ?

Last edited by Tangram; Mar 20th 2012 at 9:13 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not appropriate to ask for someone else's password but it would be a poor interviewer who hadn't googled, facebooked and linkedined the prospective employee. One should check any business contact before meeting them; what's interesting is what they choose to put in the public domain, if it's all proactive reaching out and interfacing then they're off to a weak start.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

If that was me in an interview and they asked for my FB profile they would get a shock as I don't have and have never had a FB account...I'm hoping the craze will go away to post the inane minutae of life on FB.

Having said that twitter makes FB look positively intelligent
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Are we sure that some employers do not ask for interviewees to provide their Facebook password and then to reject those that do so? It seems to display very poor judgment to give a password to another party. If ever asked, I would not do so, but I think I would frame my refusal in a manner that would make it clear that it would be displaying poor judgment if I did so.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Would you furnish said employer with photographs when requested of what you get up to with Mrs AC in the bedroom ? Pony riding, S & M, Mr AC dressed as an Edwardian lady ? They don't want sexual deviants, in their opinion, working for their company.

Or is it none of their f*****g business ?
I don't publish such things. The ones I do publish I would happily show. Where are you on previous employer's references? It is just not another way of asking what you do in your spare time. Would you refuse to answer such a question at interview?

They are sites the public has access to.

It would appear you didn't want a debate. As usual, I am playing devil's advocate. No need to swear of get all flustered.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:17 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I don't publish such things. .....They are sites the public has access to.
The issue here is about employers wanting access to none public material. Material that has been published as private with limited access.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:30 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose these are the same employers who are often critisised for not returning the calls and emails of their applicants. Now we know why, they are all too busy arsing about on facebook.

Last edited by ireland2canada; Mar 21st 2012 at 12:35 am.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:54 am
Seasoned Maritimer

I don't publish such things. The ones I do publish I would happily show. Where are you on previous employer's references? It is just not another way of asking what you do in your spare time. Would you refuse to answer such a question at interview?

They are sites the public has access to.

It would appear you didn't want a debate. As usual, I am playing devil's advocate. No need to swear of get all flustered.
How is a previous employer's reference the same thing as a private profile on FB ? They can ask what I do in my spare time without looking at private family photos etc.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:00 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Tangram
How is a previous employer's reference the same thing as a private profile on FB ? They can ask what I do in my spare time without looking at private family photos etc.
And I am sure some people use their private accounts for discussing very private matters like sexuality and health matters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.