Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Should I get a puppy...

Wikiposts

Should I get a puppy...

Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I get a puppy...

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Maybe you could ask the dogs in your apartment building what they think about the arrangement?

I'm not dissing you but I think many Canadians have a lousy attitude towards pets and treat them as disposables. I very much dislike what appears to be the common practice of not letting cats outside. Ever.

It's illegal to let cats out, for a start.
They go feral quickly and breed like rats, harming indigenous populations of birds, killing millions of songbirds for instance (even in Britain!), and outcompeting natural predators.
Their life expectancies are much lower when let outside - 2-3 years rather than 10 plus for indoor cats.
Many outdoor cats suffer badly from hypothermia and frostbite each year.

I will ask you, how can you let a domestic cat outside and call yourself a cat lover or even an animal lover?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Maybe you could ask the dogs in your apartment building what they think about the arrangement?

I'm not dissing you but I think many Canadians have a lousy attitude towards pets and treat them as disposables. I very much dislike what appears to be the common practice of not letting cats outside. Ever.
I don't think you are. I'd never even heard of crates before I came here, I know people who shut their dogs in their crates while they're at work so they don't do any damage to the apartment.

I couldn't comment on whether Canadians treat pets as disposable more so than any other country I think there's just as much of a problem back in the UK with pet abandoment or cruelty (especially with particular breeds...such as staffies).

At home I knew of people who had 'house' cats that didn't go outside, I'm not sure that means they're badly treated. De clawing now that I don't agree with
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Is it just me or is the one at the front Great Dane size!

Nah. At the time of the photo (18mths or so ago), Clemmie (the kitten) was very small:

Winston is your average sized cat:

Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:44 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
They go feral quickly and breed like rats, harming indigenous populations of birds, killing millions of songbirds for instance (even in Britain!), and outcompeting natural predators.
Their life expectancies are much lower when let outside - 2-3 years rather than 10 plus for indoor cats.

I will ask you, how can you let a domestic cat outside and call yourself a cat lover or even an animal lover?
Bovine Excrement. What municipality forbids you to let cats out?

Ours are indoors/outdoors. They don't go out when its very cold or in a blizzard, mainly because they are not stupid. They live a much happier life allowed to roam outside than those poor bloody animals cooped up indoors all day.

EDIT: Being rescue cats both ours are 'done' - it's a condition on rehoming them by the SPCA and the only responsible thing to do.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jan 29th 2009 at 3:55 am.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is where you are. It isnt here.

They go feral quickly and breed like rats,
Even the neutered and speyed ones? That's bizarre. Most pets have been snipped!

Because they want to go outside, and come and go. We keep ours in most of the time, but you can argue that is equally unfair to keep an animal that evolved as a desert hunter cooped up inside. Our cats are certainly a lot thinner in the summer when they actually go outside and run around a bit. I suspect they are bored rigid inside, even with all the toys and attention they have.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:48 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

They breed like rats? Ever heard of neutering?

Cats are natural predators. And they are not ornaments.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're confusing "letting" a cat outside with "leaving" a cat outside with that aspect of your arguement
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:15 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Illegal to be let outside? Are you pulling our legs?

Ahh but I bet those 2-3 years they had outside were a BLAST compared to those 10 long boring years kept inside.....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

one of the best things we did when we came to ca.was to get a poddle .
in our first summer we must have met everyone in the village when walking the little guy.
yes were still waiting for our pr but the thought of leaving him has made us even more determined to remain .
james and family
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Some of the shelters/charities round here do "overnight" dogs which removes a lot of the downsides of having a dog and working.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

Ahh but I bet those 2-3 years they had outside were a BLAST compared to those 10 long boring years kept inside.....
Too right. We've had outdoor cats for 12 years (the same ones ..they're still alive!) and they love snoozing in the sun and adventuring around. We've always chosen properties that had cat friendly outside space. The thought of their wee faces peering out the window longingly....! They do come in at night to eat and sleep.

It's not illegal here to let them out. Our municipality have recently introduced a bylaw that states they must be neutered if allowed out though ...grand idea.

Last edited by Monkey Puzzle; Jan 29th 2009 at 5:30 am. Reason: clarity
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you, I would wait until you got PR status. Then you won't have the 'What if?' worry.

Do you know what breed you want? Do you know the behaviour of that breed? Is that breed easy to toilet train? How long a walk does that breed need? Will he still want a walk when it's -30? How much will he eat?

Research the breeds while you wait, if you are getting a mix, research all the breeds that make up your mix, find forums of the breeds and get/read advice.

The dog food I buy is now $10 more a bag than it was in the summer - so that's $44 a month. I also buy high quality treats - freeze dried liver and cheese and the such that runs at $14 a bag.

I got my first ever dog 2.5 years ago and I love him to bits, I wouldn't want to be without him. He gets 2 walks a day - whatever the weather, he is also a good dog that doesn't eat shoes or sofas so he gets the run of the house during the day, I work part time. We don't like to leave him for more than 8 hours though. If we are going to have a really long day you know an out 1st thing back really late, then we might pop him in the kennels if we can't bring him.

A lot of people put their dogs into doggy day cares.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

In Calgary, it is illegal to let any pets on property that is not your own. In essence, that precludes most people from letting their cats out of their own house. Personally, I think it is a good policy, as I used to get mighty pi$$ed off with finding cat poop all over our garden. When I pointed this out to local cat owners and they said I was over reacting, I used to let our Rotties crap all over their garden, usually by knocking on their door first and asking them to watch and then asking how they liked my pets reciprocatinig (the difference is I then used to pick up - once the point had been made)

Other than the above, I have no issue with cats being allowed outside in Canada, the local coyotes have to have something to eat
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucieg
Hi all,

I really really want to get a puppy, I'm trying to be sensible and listing all the reasons why I shouldn't get one i.e.

- I'm here on a whp (pr applied for but no guarantees of course)
- I work so it'll be at home on it's own during the day
- expense
- toilet training!
- training in general!

Yet I still really really want one.

All I keep thinking is that if I get kicked out in October I'm going to pitch up in London homeless, jobless and with a Canadian puppy! And finding landlords in London who don't mind pets is a nightmare.

Any advice??
I can't believe you are seriously asking such a question and I can't believe that a responsible breeder would allow you to have one. Having said that, I am confident you will satisfy your want regardless of what posters on here say.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I can't believe you are seriously asking such a question and I can't believe that a responsible breeder would allow you to have one. Having said that, I am confident you will satisfy your want regardless of what posters on here say.
Why?

If I go home...the dog comes with me I'm not going to abandon it. And much as I joke about pitching up at home homeless and jobless I'm not serious! I have somewhere to live when I go home and I will get another job...i.e go back to where I was working before. Why am I less responsible than anyone else? Anyone could lose their job tomorrow and have to move...at least I can prepare for it.

And also you don't know me or what I would do to satisfy my want, I noticed a lot of people on here have animals and have brought them with them when they moved over even people on TWP's. I was interested to see the pros and cons that people would come up with.

Ultimately it's my decision on whether or not I can take on the responsibility especially given I am not someone who wants to lock animals up or leave them alone all day but please don't assume I'm going to go out and get a puppy like I would by a pair of shoes. It's insulting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.