Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self service checkouts Yay or Nay?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Another reason for using a human is getting cashback. The supermarket is also the bank in this respect.

Or do the self serve machines pay out cash too?
Depends on the machine. Safeway ones ask if you want cashback, Superstore ones don't.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I love self service.

The trick is, when you are at Canadian Tire, buy a large tool box and discreetly fill it up with small, but expensive items. When you get to the self checkout ring through the tool box but not the other items. This is an excellent method to save money.

That story is a common occurrence at my branch of C Tire, told by my Wife who is a cashier there who opens up all the boxes when the over weight alarm goes off.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I love self service.

The trick is, when you are at Canadian Tire, buy a large tool box and discreetly fill it up with small, but expensive items. When you get to the self checkout ring through the tool box but not the other items. This is an excellent method to save money.

That story is a common occurrence at my branch of C Tire, told by my Wife who is a cashier there who opens up all the boxes when the over weight alarm goes off.
Haha...that would work if the toolbox weighed the same full of things as it does empty.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 11:22 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I will always use a self checkout if one's available, and will avoid store that don't have them. I can't stand the lazy people who stand watching the cashier scan the items then wait for the cashier to bag them up! Self checkout has the added advantage that you bag the items youself so you don't put the heaviest possible item on top of the most fragile which is what happens in Sobeys where they offer a (absolutely useless) bagging service.
People around these parts refuse to use self service as they claim it means less jobs but given the utterly useless job done by the baggers I can't say that worries me.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know grocery stores have a problem with people say putting the code in for regular apples or grapes or whatever but actually having organic version.

I am surprised No Frills doesnt use self check out. I wish they did. They are so busy and only have like 3 lanes opens out of 5 total. They could put in a dozen self check out and and speed the experience up.

Can easily spend 10 or 15 mins in line at our local No Frills waiting and their cashiers are slow but customers do the bagging.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 2nd 2018 at 11:25 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I will always use a self checkout if one's available, and will avoid store that don't have them. I can't stand the lazy people who stand watching the cashier scan the items then wait for the cashier to bag them up! Self checkout has the added advantage that you bag the items youself so you don't put the heaviest possible item on top of the most fragile which is what happens in Sobeys where they offer a (absolutely useless) bagging service.
People around these parts refuse to use self service as they claim it means less jobs but given the utterly useless job done by the baggers I can't say that worries me.
Our Safeways are now owned by Sobeys, to our detriment!

I hate the new owners .......... they make us buy what they want us to buy, or else shop elsewhere. They did with the west what they did in Quebec ............ spent many millions expecting Quebec and the West to be like the Maritimes. The guy who did both acquisitions lost his job about a year after the move into the West fiasco. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with them, unlike Quebec, where I think Sobeys eventually offloaded the stores.

However, they still operate the same way ......... the feeder conveyor belt is to the right of the cashier, she/he passes an item over the scanner, the bag stands on a low shelf to the left, and she/he puts the item straight into the bag.

As long as you, the shopper, puts items on the belt in the order that you want them packed, then everything is OK. The eggs do not go in the bottom of the bag .
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason for using a human is getting cashback. The supermarket is also the bank in this respect.

Or do the self serve machines pay out cash too?
The ones here do.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:16 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Our Safeways are now owned by Sobeys, to our detriment!

I hate the new owners .......... they make us buy what they want us to buy, or else shop elsewhere. They did with the west what they did in Quebec ............ spent many millions expecting Quebec and the West to be like the Maritimes. The guy who did both acquisitions lost his job about a year after the move into the West fiasco. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck with them, unlike Quebec, where I think Sobeys eventually offloaded the stores.

However, they still operate the same way ......... the feeder conveyor belt is to the right of the cashier, she/he passes an item over the scanner, the bag stands on a low shelf to the left, and she/he puts the item straight into the bag.

As long as you, the shopper, puts items on the belt in the order that you want them packed, then everything is OK. The eggs do not go in the bottom of the bag .
You have my sympathies. We've tried repeatedly to place the items in packing order and sometimes it helps but here some stores have a cashier and a bag packer, and if you get the bag packer they just randomly grab stuff off the conveyor belt and stuff it into bags. I usually chase them away and pack myself which seems to be frowned upon.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
You have my sympathies. We've tried repeatedly to place the items in packing order and sometimes it helps but here some stores have a cashier and a bag packer, and if you get the bag packer they just randomly grab stuff off the conveyor belt and stuff it into bags. I usually chase them away and pack myself which seems to be frowned upon.
We used to have bag packers at the Safeway but they were done away with at least 10 years ago .......... but ours were pretty good at packing, only rarely did the eggs go to the bottom of a bag!

Packing bags yourself is frowned on at our Safeway, not sure about others, although some people do it ............. but in fact the cashier can pack the bags faster than most of the customers partly because the arrangement is so well thought out, everything is about the same level from the belt to the scanner to the opening of the bag on its low shelf.

The "you can only buy what we tell you" aspect that I notice most is that they now only stock Eveready batteries. No other choice. We prefer Duracell as they seem to last longer in our torches etc ........... so we have to go elsewhere to buy them.

That doesn't count of course the Safeway own brands that in many respects were better than the Sobeys own brands that have replaced them.

Of course, we could change our shopping habits, it isn't as if we don't have a lot of choice .............. but we happen to prefer to shop locally! Our patience is slowly being tried though
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Well there's no accounting for different experiences is there. I find, without exception, that Sobeys staff are absolutely brilliant at packing stuff at one particular location (VH) and pretty good at the other I use (Mountain Rd).

Everything gets packed evenly and every space used. They ask me if I want "all this in one bag" because it may be too heavy and they absolutely make a point of not putting things on top of eggs and soft things.

As far as I'm concerned Sobeys is the absolute standard for service and whenever I come across someone who's done a good job I tell them they're good enough for Sobeys or if it already is Sobeys, I tell them they should be promoted to the best one.

One of the top packers at Sobeys VH is even a bloke. That's rare.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
As long as you, the shopper, puts items on the belt in the order that you want them packed, then everything is OK. .

Originally Posted by cxx
...some stores have a cashier and a bag packer, and if you get the bag packer they just randomly grab stuff off the conveyor belt and stuff it into bags. I usually chase them away and pack myself which seems to be frowned upon.

I've only seen the 'packer' at the Co-op (before it closed) and then only kids doing it for charity donations.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Nay in the UK (where they are prevalent) if the purchase involves alcohol as all benefits of using a self checkout to get out faster are negated by waiting for some spotty herbert to come and confirm that I'm over 18. Obviously never be a problem in Canada what with the state controlled distribution of booze monopoly and all that!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
If it's anything like our local Loblaws, the checkout staff are so slow and inefficient and customers let them scan the groceries then just stand there watching as the lady bags it all for them instead of doing it themselves, and in long lines, there's me stood waiting and seething with impatience. For a small number of items I will use the self checkout as it's generally far faster, but for a big load of groceries, it's more of a pain.
Certainly very very slow last I went. Nowhere near the Aldi speed I'm used to and even slower than Tesco!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by pdarwin
...customers let them scan the groceries then just stand there watching as the lady bags it all for them
Quite right too. Not only is it their job but as far as I'm concerned they are more expert at it than I am; they do it so much more than I do.

Of course there are exceptions.

...there's me stood waiting and seething with impatience.
Chill out. Put yourself in their shoes, customer after customer...

Rules of grocery shopping:
1) Don't change lanes - the one you move to will suffer some sort of malfunction or awkward customer.
2) If you have stuff you want bagged first, put it on the belt first.
3) If you want something done a certain way, say so. Don't assume the cashier will know because there will be someone who likes the opposite.
4) It takes as long as it takes. And a bit more. Huffing, sighing etc will not speed it up. If you're short of time, go earlier.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Quite right too. Not only is it their job but as far as I'm concerned they are more expert at it than I am; they do it so much more than I do.

Of course there are exceptions.

Chill out. Put yourself in their shoes, customer after customer...

Rules of grocery shopping:
1) Don't change lanes - the one you move to will suffer some sort of malfunction or awkward customer.
2) If you have stuff you want bagged first, put it on the belt first.
3) If you want something done a certain way, say so. Don't assume the cashier will know because there will be someone who likes the opposite.
4) It takes as long as it takes. And a bit more. Huffing, sighing etc will not speed it up. If you're short of time, go earlier.

I would add to far too many people ..............

5. Get off that b***** phone! It's extremely rude and discourteous to be involved in a conversation when you're dealing with a sales person. Shows you don't think they are worth your attention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.