Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotttish Independence Referendum

Originally Posted by London Mike
Novo, I don't need a lecture about the importance of Scottish contribution to science and engineering to know that their contribution was, in fact, important. But I hardly see what this has to do with the independence debate. Again, if the Scots piss off then their legacy will always be intact and more importantly Lagavulin won't be changed either.
It's just that you said they've been on about independence for 300 years. Given their enthusiastic buy in to British colonialism, I don't think that's correct.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:25 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
. You know he'll get the boot as soon as we get independance, and they vote in Mel Gibson, a true Scottish legend

And anyway, even if we did do well, in 50 years or so, you southerners would just invade us again and steal it all back
Yep.. Mel is rather famous in Scotland for what is also known as the 2nd most inaccurate historical movie ever made…

And as to the English invading..
my history lessons taught me that the Stuarts ascended to the English throne by right whilst still holding the Scottish throne, so technically its was a scot that first merged the crowns of England and Scotland, and then merged the two kingdoms…
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Yep.. Mel is rather famous in Scotland for what is also known as the 2nd most inaccurate historical movie ever made…

And as to the English invading..
my history lessons taught me that the Stuarts ascended to the English throne by right whilst still holding the Scottish throne, so technically its was a scot that first merged the crowns of England and Scotland, and then merged the two kingdoms…
I'm intrigued...what is the 1st ?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:39 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
U - 571
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
"Hitler: my year at the gay, gypsy Kibbutz".

Possibly.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
"Hitler: my year at the gay, gypsy Kibbutz".

Possibly.
You will be hearing from Adolf's lawyers I'm sure.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:27 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've just read the news about this thing likely to take place in 2014 and wonder what feelings you have about Scotland cutting ties with England. I've never been to the UK but I've been told that even though the Scots, Irish, and Welsh travel and work in all 4 countries as well as intermarry, the English are (at least on some level) traditionally seen as oppressors. Why then do the Scottish nationalists say that in the event they separate they still want to retain HRH as head of state? It's a long way from here but I find the concept of independence exciting, even if it isn't exactly a 'Celtic Spring'.
A carp fishing friend from Bristol has a Welsh mum, and the family went to her home town for a visit. Somehow he found himself in the local pub with all the old regulars eyeing him suspiciously, being a strange face. The barman served him and asked who he might be. He replied that he was from Bristol and his dad was English, but his mum was from right there. One old fellow said "Then you're allright, boyo, you're only half a b*st*rd!"
Speaking as an English person, I haven't done any oppressing recently, but if you tell me what you have in mind, I'll have a go.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's just that you said they've been on about independence for 300 years. Given their enthusiastic buy in to British colonialism, I don't think that's correct.
Novo, apologies. I think I was somewhat and unnecessarily curt with you. I see your point, and you're right.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Novo, apologies. I think I was somewhat and unnecessarily curt with you. I see your point, and you're right.
Thank you. Apologies not necessary. Just a pint.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:32 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thank you. Apologies not necessary. Just a pint.
Did someone mention a pint?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Speaking as an English person, I haven't done any oppressing recently, but if you tell me what you have in mind, I'll have a go.
Oh dear....... oh. Damn, no emoticons. I was sort of referring to the way Scots refer to the English as......never mind..... No such thing as assumed guilt - it's a rule. Even for the Germans.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Oh dear....... oh. Damn, no emoticons. I was sort of referring to the way Scots refer to the English as......never mind..... No such thing as assumed guilt - it's a rule. Even for the Germans.
You are forgiven.

I think it is worth noting, however, that the Act of Union 1707 came about as a result of treaty negotiations, not conquest, by two countries that already shared a monarchy.

It followed on from the Darien disaster, a colonial adventure that went wrong, which had bancrupted the Scottish establishment. The Scots were looking for a bailout. Some would say that Scotland has been doing quite well out of the Union ever since, up to and including the £37 billion bailout of the Royal Bank of Scotland in 2009, and the substantial subsidy paid by English taxpayers to Scottish local government. And that is why it is very unlikely that the Scots will vote for full independence.

As for Wales -- the conquest was completed by the early fourteenth century. At that point in time the English monarchy still spoke French, as did the aristocracy, down to the humblest knight. Their documents were written in French and Latin, and dated "X years since the Conquest" -- that is the conquest of England.

It would not be true to say that Wales was conquered by the Normans, since by that time the monarchy had lost most of its lands in France (although it would spend the next 100 years trying to get them back). However, it would be equally wrong to say Wales was conquered by the English. The real mistake is in trying to apply the modern concept of nation to the medieval world which thought in terms of monarchies and fiefdoms.

Ironically, the most determined attempt to integrate Wales with England and wipe out the Welsh language took place under a Welsh monarch -- Henry VIII.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Ironically, the most determined attempt to integrate Wales with England and wipe out the Welsh language took place under a Welsh monarch -- Henry VIII.
I didn't know he was Welsh. Well, well. That would explain the multiple wives I suppose.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:58 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Regarding HRH as a head of state, this is an interesting one: In my experience, allegiance to the throne in west central Scotland (populous area: lots of voters) has, it seems, as much to do with Irish history and politics and religion than any real Scottish issues. Take away HRH and significant number of voters wouldn't even listen to the arguments for independence.
if Scotland becomes independant, will Balmoral become the Scottish PM's country home, as I don't recall many Monarchs who have country homes on foreign soil.

Originally Posted by MrsDV
It will be interesting to see how the debate pans out. Unfortunately as soon as the subject is mentioned it seems to cause a number of English people to adopt the 'well let them piss off then' argument. Sad.
I'd suggest it's similar to a long-term relationship break-up. A couple tolerate each other, before convincing themselves that they don't need the other person and will be better off without them.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
if Scotland becomes independant, will Balmoral become the Scottish PM's country home, as I don't recall many Monarchs who have country homes on foreign soil.

I believe that, like Sandringham, it is the royal families privately owned property, its not owned by the state, so it would just be a foreign holiday home, like half of South Kensington is for Arab royalty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.