Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of
Default Re: Scottish people emigrating to Canada.

Tonnes of Scots in Hamilton. Most of the pubs are Scottish-themed too. One of the pubs near me seems to be a massive expat haunt, it's always rammed with incomprehensible weegie-sounding folk!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:54 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
Tonnes of Scots in Hamilton. Most of the pubs are Scottish-themed too. One of the pubs near me seems to be a massive expat haunt, it's always rammed with incomprehensible weegie-sounding folk!
Probably binge drinking
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
agreed.

They used to flock to Blackpool.

Brilliant My childhood holiday destination
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
This is my town. Picture says a thousand words etc...

www.paperclip.org.uk/Cumbernauld/abronhill.htm
I do often drive into my wee village and think omg this place is a dump and since we actually live next to the local tip this is not far from the truth, however compared to some places I have nothing to moan about, see above link. I really can't complain....I find the weather extremely depressing, but as soon as the sunshine is out and we are hitting 17C everything is ok
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

Scots have always had big ties to Canada - 3 of Canada's first 4 prime ministers were Scottish and of Canada's 22 prime ministers 13 of them were of Scottish decent.
16%(which many believe to be underestimated) of Canada's population traces it's roots back to Scotland and the Scots were, in the past, the biggest immigrant nationality per head of population to the country.
I guess we still feel a tie to the place...

How the Scots created Canada

http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/9781896124100
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty1974
Scots have always had big ties to Canada - 3 of Canada's first 4 prime ministers were Scottish and of Canada's 22 prime ministers 13 of them were of Scottish decent.
16%(which many believe to be underestimated) of Canada's population traces it's roots back to Scotland and the Scots were, in the past, the biggest immigrant nationality per head of population to the country.
I guess we still feel a tie to the place...

How the Scots created Canada

http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/9781896124100
So can we now start blaming Scottish people for the shite state that some parts of Canada are now in
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:28 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i had a site just outside of Coatbridge which i had to fly up to every 2 weeks for meetings and would often stay over in the premier inn on the m8 there...anyway once i had no cash so i had to go to Airdrie to find a cash point...my god it was the most depressing awful town i have ever had the misfortune to end up in..took me an hour to find one..by that time the town had sucked the life out of me and had to go and have a lay down for an hour..still i liked Glasgow had some good nights out there
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

So can we now start blaming Scottish people for the shite state that some parts of Canada are now in
ha ha - I guess so
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

Long ago, most Scottish immigrants to Canada came from the Highlands, mainly due to the Highland clearances. However, it seems as if the vast majority over the last 100 years or so have come from the Glasgow area.

On the other hand, that could be more perception than reality. I once got a Glaswegian very annoyed in a pub here in the Toronto area when I said this, but it seems to me that people from Glasgow never seem to lose their accents - perhaps deliberately. I don't know if the accent is stronger or if people from there have more pride and are determined not to lose their accents.

On the other hand, my mum, who was as Aberdonian as they come, sounded almost 100% Canadian - until she got angry. "Honest to Christ, this bloody laddie's gotta be the death 'o me!" she would shout. Yet, the Aberdonian dialect is more impenetrable than the Glaswegian one, even if the actual accent might not be quite as strong.

Anyway, I suppose what I'm saying is Scots from elsewhere in Scotland may not be as readily identifiable as Scottish after being here a few years, so it may seem like Glasgow dominates more than it actually does (even if half of the population of Scotland does live in the Glasgow area).
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they believe in this and now emigrating.
The map place names are actually quite funny

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dependent.html
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:05 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Perhaps they believe in this and now emigrating.
The map place names are actually quite funny

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dependent.html

Funny? really? insulting to the Scotish people more like no doubt sponsored and/or ghost written by those twats Cameron and Clegg.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:22 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Funny? really? insulting to the Scotish people more like no doubt sponsored and/or ghost written by those twats Cameron and Clegg.
Edinborrow...lol.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:33 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Edinborrow...lol.
Will never happen
Old Apr 15th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Glasgow isn't called No Mean City for no reason. It has been a tough and rough place for many years. Within the past few years pubs in the city centre were forced by legislation to serve beer in plastic glasses because of the propensity of many drinkers to use the glass ones as weapons.
To be a little bit fair to Glasgow - at the weekends Inverness has a no glass policy as well
Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dollface
Will never happen
Had a good laugh at some of the names on the map.

The SNP are very strong in Scotland right now, I think more to do with policies rather than their strive for independence. Scots, over their fellow union members are enjoying unique incentives (carrots) such as toll free bridges, free university places, the abolition of prescription fees (fased), free care for the elderly and free public transit for the over 60's.
This is really pissing a lot of English folk off due to the perceived, unfair distribution of funding by the current use of the Barnett formula and from what I've heard on radio phone ins etc, more of them want Scotland independent than Scots do. And who can really blame them. Mr Salmond, when on national TV gives off an aura of sheer gloating almost antagonistic in manner when addressing questions in relation to SNP policies.

For me, the biggest irony is that Scotland sees itself as one of the leaders in renewable energy industries and yet will be very heavily reliant on revenue from North Sea Oil!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.