School systems

Old Oct 12th 2018, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default School systems

moved from Alberta to Ontario and their school systems are so different. Ontario did you so calculus, advanced or data management.. No we did combined maths, English university, college or basic no we did combined but was in the fop set, science no we don’t do combined science we do separate. Son graduated in calgary but needs improve his grades to get into Uni (although he did graduate in Calgary). It’s so hard. Any advice? Thinking Algonquin College to upgrade then next September enrichment course at Carleton any advice?
Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School systems

Well, education is not a Federal responsibility ........ it is the responsibility of each Province, so, yes, systems can differ.

That's unlike the UK where education in England is controlled by the Department of Education in London, and the syllabus is (or used to be) controlled by the Examination Boards. There used to be differences between the Examination Boards ............. but not as great as you get here.

OH and I went through the UK system in the 50s under different Boards, and he did lots of things different from me!

Regarding your son ........... even though he graduated in Calgary, were his grades high enough for university acceptance in Alberta, or would he have had to upgrade there as well???

Just a thought!

Most universities now seem to need grades above even B+ in a lot of subjects, and students with lower than A- may struggle to find a place.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School systems

Originally Posted by scilly
Well, education is not a Federal responsibility ........ it is the responsibility of each Province, so, yes, systems can differ.

That's unlike the UK where education in England is controlled by the Department of Education in London, and the syllabus is (or used to be) controlled by the Examination Boards. There used to be differences between the Examination Boards ............. but not as great as you get here.

OH and I went through the UK system in the 50s under different Boards, and he did lots of things different from me!

Regarding your son ........... even though he graduated in Calgary, were his grades high enough for university acceptance in Alberta, or would he have had to upgrade there as well???

Just a thought!

Most universities now seem to need grades above even B+ in a lot of subjects, and students with lower than A- may struggle to find a place.
Doesn't even need to an university, many college programs are the same, one reason I can't manage to upgrade my skills for better employment, not all will be a high B to low A student.