Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Say something good about the UK

Say something good about the UK

Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: Say something good about the UK

Originally Posted by Expatrick
My original post made no mention of people being bitten but was merely in response to the statement that "there are no snakes to speak of in the UK.

However, here's one example, from the BBC -

I also used to live on the edge of the New Forest and heard reports other than this one, both about the New Forest and in other areas.
Just stating that despite there being snakes close to where I lived they were a non issue.

I moved here in 2010 so had not seen that from 2011. It is still very rare for anyone to be bitten.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

More -

"Already this summer a nine-year-old girl and a number of dogs have been bitten by the rare snakes which could be venturing out more because of the inclement weather.
Adders, a member of the viper family, are cold blooded and only go out to bask in the sun to warm up and then return to the undergrowth.
Cooler weather means they spend more time in the open where they are more likely to come into contact with humans and pets.
The warning comes after a border collie was bitten and died in Essex.

<<<SNIP>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 4th 2017 at 8:12 pm. Reason: Copyright
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:28 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

My original post made no mention of people being bitten but was merely in response to the statement that "there are no snakes to speak of in the UK.

However, here's one example, from the BBC -

I also used to live on the edge of the New Forest and heard reports other than this one, both about the New Forest and in other areas.
And I bet you live near a road- how many kids have sadly been killed/ injured on them? We live right next to a Western Pacific Rattlesnake preserve - they like the adders were there long before we were, ever so slightly more venomous than adders... As Alex says, they are extremely avoidant of human contact
If I'm in the park where the preserve is, I am careful, I had the dog on a leash in the Summer and kept to the paths, you just have to be sensible. Same with us being bear aware. If someone lives next in the New Forest they are going to come across them once in a while- parents have a responsibility to advise their kids that they are out there. As I said, they have been there way longer than humans

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jul 4th 2017 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
And I bet you live near a road- how many kids have sadly been killed/ injured on them? We live right next to a Western Pacific Rattlesnake preserve - they like the adders were there long before we were, ever so slightly more venomous than adders... As Alex says, they are extremely avoidant of human contact
I repeat, my post was in response to that which stated that there are no snakes to speak of in the UK. I hope that is now clear!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I repeat, my post was in response to that which stated that there are no snakes to speak of in the UK. I hope that is now clear!
100 cases in a country of 65 million people would qualify as no snakes to speak of in most peoples book. Meaning that it is a very rare occurrence and that you would be very unlikely to be bitten by a snake.

I would be up the Forest most weekends as a teen going trudging through the woods and over the plains. As an adult I would take the dog 3 or 4 times a week on average. Always let him off as soon as we were out of the car park and never had any concern.

Not arguing with you mate just sharing my and many friends experiences of going to the Forest. The numbers that you have stated also support this. we are not quite into snakes on a plane territory
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
...up the Forest...
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There isnt actually that much of a rivalry between Stoke and Forest. They are more interested in Derby or Listuh.

Stokes main rivals will always be the Vale despite the league difference. Wolves West Brumich, Birmingham and Villa are all bigger games for Stoke.

Add local Derbies to the list of good things about the UK

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Jul 4th 2017 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 7:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Add local Derbies to the list of good things about the UK
Not Celtic-Rangers though.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

One good thing about the U.K. is there are no animals that consider you as lunch in the woods!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It was I wot said it. "None to talk of". That doesn't mean there aren't any just that there are very few, an insignificant amount.

I've never seen a snake in the wild back in the old country. That's including spending holidays in Norfolk by areas that warned of adders. Now I could take a walk down to the river side right now and probably see half a dozen. They give me the willies so I avoid them

No leeches, were there leeches back there?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen three snakes in Britain, including one I accidentally chopped in half with a strimmer, and another which was likely a black adder (!). And I hate snakes!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:56 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've seen three snakes in Britain, including one I accidentally chopped in half with a strimmer, and another which was likely a black adder (!). And I hate snakes!

I have a cunning plan....
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:49 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I have a cunning plan....
Boom tish

It was coming from someone, as soon as I wrote the words, I knew that!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:37 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Bluebell woods, stiles, footpaths..... pub gardens on a summer day.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 5:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Howefamily
...stiles...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.