British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Sausages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/sausages-830304/)

bats Apr 2nd 2014 11:02 pm

Sausages

And the making of.

I now have the wherewithal to make sausages at home and have been doing so. It's good fun, filling the casings needs a technique reminiscent of encouraging a becondomed willy.

Anyway..they, the sausages, taste fine but not very sausagey and the texture is wrong. I am sure someone on here used to make their own so any recipes? Advice?

Novocastrian Apr 2nd 2014 11:04 pm

Re: Sausages

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11202109)
And the making of.

I now have the wherewithal to make sausages at home and have been doing so. It's good fun, filling the casings needs a technique reminiscent of encouraging a becondomed willy.

Anyway..they, the sausages, taste fine but not very sausagey and the texture is wrong. I am sure someone on here used to make their own so any recipes? Advice?

Take off the condom before devouring.

caretaker Apr 2nd 2014 11:13 pm

What are you doing, ordinary pork bangers? Are you using breadcrumb for a binder?

bats Apr 2nd 2014 11:17 pm

Pork, pork and beef. Using rice as a binder as I can't have gluten

bats Apr 2nd 2014 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11202110)
Take off the condom before devouring.

Good advice. I hate the bounce.

caretaker Apr 2nd 2014 11:29 pm

Is it coming out pasty like when you use flour? If you want I can ask at the Ukrainian Co-op tomorrow and see what they do. They're boasting a range of gluten free sausage and I have inside contacts.

bats Apr 2nd 2014 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11202131)
Is it coming out pasty like when you use flour? If you want I can ask at the Ukrainian Co-op tomorrow and see what they do. They're boasting a range of gluten free sausage and I have inside contacts.

No, not pasty, either too meaty, or too grainy. Not sausagey!

gryphea Apr 2nd 2014 11:56 pm

So I have a sausage attachment for the Kitchenaid and after a few disasters I know have it sorted.

I would use some sort of gluten free bread as a binder rather than rice. its meant to absorb the fat and other stuff so I can't imagine rice being good.

You need a fatty meat; quite a fatty meat. I always get the butcher to grind it for me and shoulder is best, belly good too. I go in, tell him what I want it for, we settle on the cut, he goes and grinds it for free. Its much better than the little grinder that comes with my sausage attachment

Seasoning - it needs quite a lot of salt and pepper plus whatever else. Stint on this and it just won't work

gryphea Apr 3rd 2014 12:01 am

PS

I make Lincolnshire type sausages, but do add leek etc sometimes

bats Apr 3rd 2014 12:07 am

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 11202149)
So I have a sausage attachment for the Kitchenaid and after a few disasters I know have it sorted.

I would use some sort of gluten free bread as a binder rather than rice. its meant to absorb the fat and other stuff so I can't imagine rice being good.

You need a fatty meat; quite a fatty meat. I always get the butcher to grind it for me and shoulder is best, belly good too. I go in, tell him what I want it for, we settle on the cut, he goes and grinds it for free. Its much better than the little grinder that comes with my sausage attachment

Seasoning - it needs quite a lot of salt and pepper plus whatever else. Stint on this and it just won't work

Interesting. I will try with gf bread. I want to stick with lower fat meats though.

gryphea Apr 3rd 2014 12:41 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11202156)
Interesting. I will try with gf bread. I want to stick with lower fat meats though.

This means it won't ever work really well. They are meant to have fat in them. Do some googling.

BTW saturated fat is no longer the devil it used to be considered
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26611861

Siouxie Apr 3rd 2014 12:47 am

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 11202172)
This means it won't ever work really well. They are meant to have fat in them. Do some googling.

+1

You definitely need fat in it for them to work otherwise the texture will be wrong and they will be dry. Are you putting sage in them?

I like the look of this recipe: http://www.geniusglutenfree.com/glut...view?entryID=8

bats Apr 3rd 2014 12:48 am

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 11202172)

I have googled of course and am aware that fat will make them taste better but sacrifices must be made. Im not worried about the saturation but the calories.

bats Apr 3rd 2014 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11202175)
+1

You definitely need fat in it for them to work otherwise the texture will be wrong and they will be dry. Are you putting sage in them?

I like the look of this recipe: http://www.geniusglutenfree.com/glut...view?entryID=8

That does look good.

JamesM Apr 3rd 2014 2:34 am

The title of this thread makes me home sick.

Why not twist the knife and rename it cheese and sausages.

withabix Apr 3rd 2014 4:31 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11202234)
The title of this thread makes me home sick.

Why not twist the knife and rename it cheese and sausages.

...and unsmoked maple-free back bacon :eek:

Oink Apr 3rd 2014 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by gryphea (Post 11202154)
PS

I make Lincolnshire type sausages, . . .

http://www.sherv.net/cm/page/hidden/yahoo/hidden-33.gif

burks Apr 3rd 2014 2:50 pm

I miss sausage and bacon from home.. If only I could have a full English right now!

caretaker Apr 3rd 2014 4:59 pm

Ukrainian Co-op uses soy flour as a binder. I leanest mix I make is lean meat with 80/20 pork trim at a 3 - 1 ratio lean to trim, but usually even fattier than that. You could compensate by having sausages and a brisk walk. :D

Tirytory Apr 3rd 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11203119)
Ukrainian Co-op uses soy flour as a binder. I leanest mix I make is lean meat with 80/20 pork trim at a 3 - 1 ratio lean to trim, but usually even fattier than that. You could compensate by having sausages and a brisk walk. :D

That did make me laugh. I second the full fat and exercise..... Sausages are not inherently low calorie..

bats Apr 3rd 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11203119)

If only that worked! I have some soy flour. The fatty ones will have to wait for a special occasion and I will continue to experiment with recipes.

caretaker Apr 4th 2014 12:26 pm

Making up your own recipes is definately part of the fun. I'd save all my gluten free breadcrusts and give them a smash and try them with or without the soy flour just to bulk it up a little. In the past I've used bacon ends along with the rest and cut down a bit on added salt and nitrite to compensate. Since I usually make 30 or 40 lbs at a time it has to last in the freezer for a year so well wrapped and I use a little Prague Powder as the cure for bacteria. For fresh sausage you can get away without that. The bible is Rytek Kutas' Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. It's for butchers so recipes are for hundreds of pounds and you have to scale back ingredients, (unless recent editions have changed). I foolishly gave my copy away so I'm trying to chase down a free download now.

caretaker Apr 5th 2014 1:44 pm

Just found these recipes and thought it worth bookmarking just to browse for ideas, as loose guidelines. Kutas uses a lot of lean pork butts and I never have, I'm using soy sauce, hot sauce, mustard seed sometimes, trying to make what I like. Casings are hog shorts (no, not lingerie for swine), random lengths of casing good for almost 40 lb depending on how much you waste because they are the cheapest.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/recipes.aspx

Lou Skannon Apr 6th 2014 6:35 pm

Aren't sausages supposed to use up all the cheap, fatty cuts of meat that the butcher couldn't sell. Add breadcrumbs, sawdust and other fillers.
I've not found a good sausage yet, in Canada. I think it is the skins, too thick. I've made some of my own to try and get a decent Full English on a Sunday morning but have had to resort to "Patties"
Plenty of salt and pepper stops them being too bland.
Now Brisket, who had brisket for Sunday roast? It was always a sign that my dad had had a good week if we had brisket.

caretaker Apr 6th 2014 8:36 pm

They say there are two things you should never see being made - law and sausages.

Siouxie Apr 7th 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11207127)
Aren't sausages supposed to use up all the cheap, fatty cuts of meat that the butcher couldn't sell. Add breadcrumbs, sawdust and other fillers.
I've not found a good sausage yet, in Canada. I think it is the skins, too thick. I've made some of my own to try and get a decent Full English on a Sunday morning but have had to resort to "Patties"
Plenty of salt and pepper stops them being too bland.
Now Brisket, who had brisket for Sunday roast? It was always a sign that my dad had had a good week if we had brisket.

The 'breakfast' sausages that look like chipolatas (generic brand name) have thin skins.

:)

Oink Apr 7th 2014 5:12 pm

We have a sausage shop on Granville Island that sells very nice sausages. :thumbup:

burks Apr 7th 2014 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11208548)
We have a sausage shop on Granville Island that sells very nice sausages. :thumbup:

What's it called?

Oink Apr 7th 2014 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11208604)
What's it called?

Obama Lama Ding Dong or Oyama Sausage Co. for short. :)

burks Apr 7th 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11208672)
Obama Lama Ding Dong or Oyama Sausage Co. for short. :)

We'll be going into the big city (:p) soon so will have to take a look. I just Google'd them, any recommendations sausage wise (never said that before!)

Oh.. and are their pork pies decent?

Oink Apr 7th 2014 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by burks (Post 11208712)
We'll be going into the big city (:p) soon so will have to take a look. I just Google'd them, any recommendations sausage wise (never said that before!)

Oh.. and are their pork pies decent?

Their Cumberlands are very good as are their chipolattas. They used to do more types of British ones but they've started to go a little insane lately with things like alpaca blood sausages spiced with pixy pubic hair, that said, if you get lucky, they may have other British ones, you can never really tell what they'll have and when. Their pork pies are very nice but although they're for giants they taste pretty authentic. Get some decent French ham while you're there and some posh salami. Don't take any guff from the tall snotty-nosed women, if she starts up just mumble your words when ordering, it really winds her up. :)

burks Apr 7th 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11208740)
Their Cumberlands are very good as are their chipolattas. They used to do more types of British ones but they've started to go a little insane lately with things like alpaca blood sausages spiced with pixy pubic hair, that said, if you get lucky, they may have other British ones, you can never really tell what they'll have and when. Their pork pies are very nice but although they're for giants they taste pretty authentic. Get some decent French ham while you're there and some posh salami. Don't take any guff from the tall snotty-nosed women, if she starts up just mumble your words when ordering, it really winds her up. :)

Thanks for the advice! .. will be giving any kind pubic hair a miss though, pixie or no pixie.

AnneMarieC Apr 9th 2014 11:18 pm

We too are suffering from the lack of a decent sausage - echo the issue of it seeming to be the thicker skins. We've resorted to the "breakfast" sausage, predominantly from FarmBoy - and that's as close as we have found to something decent. Desperately missing the Sainsburys line of "fancy" sausages, I'd even take Sainsburys basic at this point lol.

Siouxie Apr 10th 2014 2:29 am

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC (Post 11212296)
We too are suffering from the lack of a decent sausage - echo the issue of it seeming to be the thicker skins. We've resorted to the "breakfast" sausage, predominantly from FarmBoy - and that's as close as we have found to something decent. Desperately missing the Sainsburys line of "fancy" sausages, I'd even take Sainsburys basic at this point lol.

Yes, the 'breakfast' sausages are about the only ones I buy - though I did buy some of the Walmart 'beer and onion' sausages the other week and they weren't too bad skin wise. They also do a cheddar and bacon sausage, but I haven't tried those yet.

:)