Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Saudi teen: Canada 1 Australia 0

Saudi teen: Canada 1 Australia 0

Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi teen: Canada 1 Australia 0

It's absolutely clear that this young woman's claim is a bit of a political football - not least since it is based around abuse and discrimination because of her very female-ness, a cause espoused by Chrystia Freeland when she objected to the Kingdom's treatment of women's rights activists last May. Since Saudi Arabia reacted - overreacted - so swiftly over that incident, and has since backtracked on almost every threat that was made at the time, the Canadian government has here a very convenient "ner ner ni ner ner" to throw in MBS's face.

If she wasn't Saudi, if her father wasn't connected to the Government and the Royal Family, and if Ottawa and Riyadh weren't playing power games or getting tangled up with armaments contracts, this wouldn't be a story. She's a bargaining chip.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Call me a cynic but its funny why all Muslim Refugees want to go to Christian countries and not Muslim ones..i wonder why?
Because leaving Islam is frowned upon in most liberal Muslim countries. I think it's only in Saudi where it is punishable by death.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:31 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanN
A similar route was taken in April 2017 by a different young Saudi woman, Dina Ali Lasloom, who only made it as far as Manila before being sent back to Saudi Arabia. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.
Cuz a country like Philippines is unlikely to mess with Saudi which hosts millions of its citizens who live there for work and probably send a significant chunk of money home in remittances.

Thailand, on the other hand is a different story. But as Danny B said Canada absolutely used this girl's case to its advantage post the twitter spat with the overzealous MBS last year.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a cynic but its funny why all Muslim Refugees want to go to Christian countries and not Muslim ones..i wonder why?
Do you have any evidence for this; any survey comparing the desire of refugees to go to, say, Vatican City rather than, for example, Malaysia? I have the idea that refugees would gladly go to the UK or Canada, religion neutral countries, probably to anywhere they consider safe, not that they specific seek "Christian countries", whatever they are.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 3:34 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have any evidence for this; any survey comparing the desire of refugees to go to, say, Vatican City rather than, for example, Malaysia? I have the idea that refugees would gladly go to the UK or Canada, religion neutral countries, probably to anywhere they consider safe, not that they specific seek "Christian countries", whatever they are.
^ what DBD said, almost verbatim, though I don't think I'd have remembered VS as the only officially christian theocracy on the planet.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If she wasn't Saudi, if her father wasn't connected to the Government and the Royal Family, and if Ottawa and Riyadh weren't playing power games or getting tangled up with armaments contracts, this wouldn't be a story. She's a bargaining chip.
Here are the criteria for Urgent Protection Status:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/explainer-re...nchr-1.4981205
Technically, anyone who is outside of their home country who is likely to be killed, subjected to violence, torture, sexual assault or arbitrary imprisonment who is likely to be returned to their country of nationality or former residence, according to Canadian government guidelines.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Saw the young woman interviewed on The National, and she does seem to have taken quite a personal risk. Impressed with her inner strength.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:16 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Because someone may say that "Christian" countries invade "Muslim" countries and make them unsafe for living.

But thank God that we have cynics like you who value religion above human life when it suits them. Which really doesn't make you much better than a member of a terrorist group who blows up human beings for personal agenda and calls it a sacrifice in the way of religion.