Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Samsung Note II/international calls with?

Samsung Note II/international calls with?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice
Default Samsung Note II/international calls with?

Can I use a calling card with the Note to make frequent international calls (not UK)? (Currently using a First Choice card with landline.) Can't get a straight answer from Rogers. I understand that some carriers actually block calling card usage with a smartphone, thus obliging the user to go with the carrier's charges, much more expensive than the calling card rate.

Many of you will be making international calls so I was wondering how you all manage to call at a reasonable rate with a smartphone. Let me in on the secret please. Rogers tell me that if I use Skype I shall be seriously eating into my data allowance.

Another thought is could I bypass a carrier by buying an unlocked phone and buying a SIM card?

Any advice from you knowledgeable folks out there would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:49 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung Note II/international calls with?

Originally Posted by allegra
Can I use a calling card with the Note to make frequent international calls (not UK)? (Currently using a First Choice card with landline.) Can't get a straight answer from Rogers. I understand that some carriers actually block calling card usage with a smartphone, thus obliging the user to go with the carrier's charges, much more expensive than the calling card rate.

Many of you will be making international calls so I was wondering how you all manage to call at a reasonable rate with a smartphone. Let me in on the secret please. Rogers tell me that if I use Skype I shall be seriously eating into my data allowance.

Another thought is could I bypass a carrier by buying an unlocked phone and buying a SIM card?

Any advice from you knowledgeable folks out there would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I've used my Iphone from Canada to the UK with a calling card but it didn't save me much as it was costing me minutes and extra to dial the 866 number or whatever it was.

Skype doesn't use that much data to be honest but Rogers are bound to say it is eating into your allowance.

What data Allowance do you have ?

•Skype-to-Skype: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
•Calls to landlines or mobile numbers: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
•Video calls between two mobile devices: 500kbps
•Video calls between a mobile device and a computer: 600kbps

Another way to check would be to download one of the free apps that measure the data being used, make a skype call and see how much it's actually used.

I'm not Sure what you mean by buying an unlocked phone to bypass a carrier as you'd still have to pay for the phone, sim and any calls etc?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

if you're calling another smartphone (not blackberry) then download an app called "Viber"

i call my parents/friends with it regulary on Wifi and its great....supposedly for voicecalls it uses very little data so even on these rip off Canadian plans you'd probably be okay with it!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I use my Skype account and call the UK directly from my cell phone as its treated as a standard call I simply add a Skype to go local Canadian number to each UK landline number I call. I get unlimited calls to Canadian numbers on my cell plan and just add a UK landline subscription to my Skype account (think its around $7pm) and this gives me unlimited calls to UK landlines directly from my cell with no data use. Not sure if this type of service is what your looking for as you
add different types of subscriptions to your Skype account which allow you to call standard numbers in various countries.
Hope this helps
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Rogers are trying to scare you.... make sure that if you use Skype that you're on wi-fi, not 3G / 4G / LTE (mobile).

Our secret is.... FaceTime. Completely free of charge video calling (provided you're on wifi and keep within monthly allowance!) The downside to that is your friends need an iPhone too....
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:17 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

The Note II...I thought those things were suppose to be getting smaller? I have seen someone put that to their ear to receive a call
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:45 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

As well as viber, you could try whats app it is an app that you can use for messages and calls and is available on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry. Don't think you can use it for landline calls but if you have a good data package or your on wifi its good to keep in contact with friends and family where ever they are in the world and whatever mobile/cell they use