Salt. . . .???

Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt. . . .???

Originally Posted by London Mike
closing hospitals?
Not so sure about that. The daughter and her partner are both in the trauma business and both have jobs at expanding, unrelated, trauma units. You do need lots of money of course but, in return, it's a big exciting city. Toronto's alright but it's like moving to Harrow, slower, safer, a step into old age.

(And yes I was disingenuous in not mentioning NYC and Montreal, accessible big cities).
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, continue looking at London through rose tinted spectacles because - trust me, I lived there the past ten years - and it is not an easy place to live at all and is about to get a lot tougher. So, yes, accessibility to Yerp is great but what do you do when get home from your city break to a place that's crime ravaged, has shit public schools, high unemployment, inflation rising, and closing hospitals?
I lived there too for quite a while. You must have lived in a right shithole
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not so sure about that. The daughter and her partner are both in the trauma business and both have jobs at expanding, unrelated, trauma units. You do need lots of money of course but, in return, it's a big exciting city. Toronto's alright but it's like moving to Harrow, slower, safer, a step into old age.

(And yes I was disingenuous in not mentioning NYC and Montreal, accessible big cities).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...paid-work.html

This hospital was near us. It, like a few hospitals in the UK, will not last long without immediate action. Great that your daughter and partner work in a stable environment and good luck to them but this is a reality.

Toronto's not perfect, nowhere is. But I can say for sure that healthcare is pretty good here.

I did like a lot about London - culture, bars, galleries and my Spurs of course. But, living there day to day now? No chance.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I lived there too for quite a while. You must have lived in a right shithole
Not really, just like many places in North London - except your Hamsteads, Crouch End etc.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...paid-work.html

This hospital was near us. It, like a few hospitals in the UK, will not last long without immediate action. Great that your daughter and partner work in a stable environment and good luck to them but this is a reality.

Toronto's not perfect, nowhere is. But I can say for sure that healthcare is pretty good here.

I did like a lot about London - culture, bars, galleries and my Spurs of course. But, living there day to day now? No chance.
I expect they'll have a few years of enjoying urbanism then move somewhere else in Europe. The only concern I've heard so far is the price of houses, a shock when you're used to Toronto, their rent on a two bedroomed flat is more per week than the mortgage was monthly for her house on the Danforth. Still, she couldn't walk to work from the Danforth.

I've always felt a bit far from any action in Toronto, that the place tries relentlessly hard but is really just another bland American city, Omaha but colder; hence my intermittent envy for them having moved somewhere exciting.

Good things I've found about healthcare in Toronto are:

- very good trauma units
- easy to get treated while in the country without documentation
- lots of walk-in clinics so little waiting

Less impressive things:

- no long term provision for the mentally ill
- drugs and surgical appliances expensive
- poor treatment for the disabled for the disabled for matters unrelated to the disability; if, for example, you have autism and a broken leg, it's a bugger to find anyone to take an interest in the leg

It's a good place to get shot. Not a good place to have cerebral palsy.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:03 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
Come on, great opportunities to travel the continent of North America from Canada, Pacific or Atlantic Coasts, Route 66, Caribean, Mexico. You too could travel to new and exciting locations from where you are, just do it! You still have a passport, you are allowed to come to Europe too.
Oh yes, so much culture, history and diversity
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I expect they'll have a few years of enjoying urbanism then move somewhere else in Europe. The only concern I've heard so far is the price of houses, a shock when you're used to Toronto, their rent on a two bedroomed flat is more per week than the mortgage was monthly for her house on the Danforth. Still, she couldn't walk to work from the Danforth.

I've always felt a bit far from any action in Toronto, that the place tries relentlessly hard but is really just another bland American city, Omaha but colder; hence my intermittent envy for them having moved somewhere exciting.

Good things I've found about healthcare in Toronto are:

- very good trauma units
- easy to get treated while in the country without documentation
- lots of walk-in clinics so little waiting

Less impressive things:

- no long term provision for the mentally ill
- drugs and surgical appliances expensive
- poor treatment for the disabled for the disabled for matters unrelated to the disability; if, for example, you have autism and a broken leg, it's a bugger to find anyone to take an interest in the leg

It's a good place to get shot. Not a good place to have cerebral palsy.
I think Buffalo or most other US cities will provide a much better chance of getting shot if that's one's aim. 30 people or more die in London each year from knife crime, mostly kids.

Omaha but colder? Really, please. Just last week I went to Hockney's iPad exhibition at ROM; recently, I saw the AbEx of NY exhibition at AGO ...Lots more stuff going. Lots more. Don't paint this picture because it's all a bit abstract yourself.

We live off Danforth and rent a house out in London, so would entirely agree with you there.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I think Buffalo or most other US cities will provide a much better chance of getting shot if that's one's aim. 30 people or more die in London each year from knife crime, mostly kids.

Omaha but colder? Really, please. Just last week I went to Hockney's iPad exhibition at ROM; recently, I saw the AbEx of NY exhibition at AGO ...Lots more stuff going. Lots more. Don't paint this picture because it's all a bit abstract yourself.

We live off Danforth and rent a house out in London, so would entirely agree with you there.
A good place to get shot in the sense of there being easy access to medical staff experienced in such matters at no cost.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

A good place to get shot in the sense of there being easy access to medical staff experienced in such matters at no cost.
Ahh, I see...