Yes
22.58%
No
77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Romanias R Us

Old Jan 29th 2014, 2:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Romanias R Us

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought you were compassionate. What do you believe is wrong with either of those?
I'm not so compassionate toward criminals.

For prisoners, I think for the period that losing the right the vote is part of the punishment, and avoids the horrific situation of politicians having to consider the views of those who have transgressed society's rules.

For convicted foreign terrorists, I am happy that they meet whatever fate awaits them if they are dissatisfied with their host country.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I'm not so compassionate toward criminals.

For prisoners, I think for the period that losing the right the vote is part of the punishment, and avoids the horrific situation of politicians having to consider the views of those who have transgressed society's rules.
So, for example, should those that have received a driving ban lose the right to vote for the duration of their ban?

Originally Posted by Shard
For convicted foreign terrorists, I am happy that they meet whatever fate awaits them if they are dissatisfied with their host country.
Even if that includes torture or capital punishment in their home country?

How can you be sure their conviction was safe?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:24 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Your post demonstrates that, as I thought, you don't really understand how the EU works at all.

Once again, please give me, let's say, 2 examples of what you would describe as "bad" laws that have come from the EU.
So you believe what I wrote was inaccurate? Please point out where.

The institutions and set up as currently defined are inherently "bad". Bad as in just stupidly bad. You can see this through the comical bureaucracy, the idea of opt-outs which are indicative of wider problems, inefficiencies like having a Eurozone but not for all EU countries (and even some non-EU countries), national parliaments making decisions which are then over ruled by the EU, or the fact that a lot of the big ticket treaties need ratification from each member state.

This ratification process is a "good idea" at a theoretical level but almost impossible to operate because when you have dozens of voices you rarely have unanimity. When the French and Dutch said "thanks but no" to the EU constitution it took years to re-negotiate and come up with a new proposal which itself took a few goes to get through. Of course the "EU" knows itself the solution to this sort of problem - dissolve the nation states. But I'm pretty sure you understand why that's a terrible idea. At least I hope you know.

To be clear, the idea of an "EEC" or even some form of "EU" is a useful one. Finding common ground and building common standards is reasonable and beneficial - within a conservative scope. The current implementation is a complete dogs dinner because it is not about mutual cooperation but about creating a superstate.

To suggest Canada is "the same sort of thing" is simplistic. You know better.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The world is not a very safe place so one should apply the principles of utilitarianism when trying to keep your own citizens safe. If that means deporting people or suspending the British part of their dual nationality, so be it.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

So, for example, should those that have received a driving ban lose the right to vote for the duration of their ban?

Yes, even better if it does. If someone goes and suicide bombs a building, killing dozens, they deserve to go back to their home country and face whatever harsh(er) punishment awaits them.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
So you believe what I wrote was inaccurate? Please point out where.
The EU institutions only have jurisdiction over areas granted to them by their member States. If they don't have jurisdiction, what they say doesn't matter. The same principle applies in Canada.

The institutions and set up as currently defined are inherently "bad". Bad as in just stupidly bad. You can see this through the comical bureaucracy, the idea of opt-outs which are indicative of wider problems, inefficiencies like having a Eurozone but not for all EU countries (and even some non-EU countries), national parliaments making decisions which are then over ruled by the EU, or the fact that a lot of the big ticket treaties need ratification from each member state.
The Eurozone is a matter for those that wished to join it. The same applies to opt-outs. They are there because States argued for them and they were granted.

If national parliaments make decisions regarding an area over which the EU is supreme, of course they should expect to be overruled. Again, these are areas over which States agreed the EU should have jurisdiction. Don't forget, legislation from the EU is determined by the member States. As I am sure you appreciate, any such legislation is scrutinised by the appropriate representatives of all of the member States, debated and, if approved, becomes legislation. Just as it does in the UK or Canadian Parliaments. How is this inherently "bad"?

Are you suggesting that ratification of each member State should not be required?

This ratification process is a "good idea" at a theoretical level but almost impossible to operate because when you have dozens of voices you rarely have unanimity. When the French and Dutch said "thanks but no" to the EU constitution it took years to re-negotiate and come up with a new proposal which itself took a few goes to get through. Of course the "EU" knows itself the solution to this sort of problem - dissolve the nation states. But I'm pretty sure you understand why that's a terrible idea. At least I hope you know.
Again, qualified majority voting could deal with that particular issue and, again, unanimity is required over areas that the member States have determined it is required.

To be clear, the idea of an "EEC" or even some form of "EU" is a useful one. Finding common ground and building common standards is reasonable and beneficial - within a conservative scope. The current implementation is a complete dogs dinner because it is not about mutual cooperation but about creating a superstate.

To suggest Canada is "the same sort of thing" is simplistic. You know better.
In Canada, the Federal Government has jurisdiction over some areas; the Provincial Governments have jurisdiction over others. In the EU, member States have jurisdiction over some areas; the EU has jurisdiction over others. IMHO, it is the same thing. Why do you believe otherwise?
I am still waiting for these "bad" laws
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
The world is not a very safe place so one should apply the principles of utilitarianism when trying to keep your own citizens safe. If that means deporting people or suspending the British part of their dual nationality, so be it.
Like preventing terrorist acts by wading through data that may help prevent them?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yes, even better if it does. If someone goes and suicide bombs a building, killing dozens, they deserve to go back to their home country and face whatever harsh(er) punishment awaits them.
Even if they are dead?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:05 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

The Eurozone is a matter for those that wished to join it. The same applies to opt-outs. They are there because States argued for them and they were granted.
It's a bit half-assed isn't it?

If national parliaments make decisions regarding an area over which the EU is supreme, of course they should expect to be overruled. Again, these are areas over which States agreed the EU should have jurisdiction. Don't forget, legislation from the EU is determined by the member States. As I am sure you appreciate, any such legislation is scrutinised by the appropriate representatives of all of the member States, debated and, if approved, becomes legislation. Just as it does in the UK or Canadian Parliaments. How is this inherently "bad"?
We seem to be misunderstanding each other. At a purely philosophical level I have no real problem with an idea of an EU. As I stated previously there are times where it is beneficial.

If there was only the EU and the national parliaments were removed it would be quite like other "countries". You could call it a federation. But it isn't like that. The problem is it probably (almost certainly) wouldn't work. It would be like having a national government with dozens of parties in coalition. It wouldn't last. In addition, referring specifically to the UK, the people were never asked if they wished to be part of the EU. If Harper decided tomorrow to take us into some Greater United North America but didn't put it to a direct vote you could imagine what would happen. He'd probably be strung up.

Are you suggesting that ratification of each member State should not be required?
I'm suggesting the "EU" itself would prefer this be the case. If you agree with that then it is your choice. Again, at the theoretical level it's actually the best way to do it - if it's your desire to have an actual "union" rather than the messy inconsistent union that currently exists. Many people in Europe would probably be fine with a full union. I don't expect anything more than a tiny minority in the UK would. Given the wind is blowing that direction (slowly) it's probably best to bow out.

federal Government has jurisdiction over some areas; the Provincial Governments have jurisdiction over others. In the EU, member States have jurisdiction over some areas; the EU has jurisdiction over others. IMHO, it is the same thing. Why do you believe otherwise?
Because they aren't the same thing. Canada is a federation. The EU is not. It's pretty fundamental. Saying they're the "same thing" suggests a gap in your knowledge.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

If Malta / EU can be so receptive to them once they reach EU shores, why can't they receive them at the embassy, and then send them properly to their destination via an aeroplane? South Korea does it... If a North Korean can reach an SK embassy, he/she will be transported to SK at SK's expense, retrained and given a JOB in SK. Not benefits. A JOB.
That's because the number of North Koreans who make it to the South every year is about 100.

The number of illegal immigrants to Europe would be well over 100,000.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

In Canada, the Federal Government has jurisdiction over some areas; the Provincial Governments have jurisdiction over others. In the EU, member States have jurisdiction over some areas; the EU has jurisdiction over others. IMHO, it is the same thing. Why do you believe otherwise?
Not exactly.
The EU can impose new regulations any time it wants, and the member states have to abide by it, even disregarding their own national legislation.

It is a question of the EU being very picky about what powers it wants to harmonize / control, and which can wait.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they are dead?
Ahh shite i messed up there didn't I. I amend my statement, if a terrorist goes and plants a grenade somewhere and lives and is convicted ...
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Does making a decision to send someone to a certain death make you a better person than them or worse?

Personally I think it's debatable.... I mean a generalised you, not you personally!
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Does making a decision to send someone to a certain death make you a better person than them or worse?

Personally I think it's debatable.... I mean a generalised you, not you personally!
As with everything, it depends on context. If that certain death will prevent further deaths, and those preventable deaths are not random but due to vengeance in the convicted, then almost certainly it is the right thing to do. Or to use your terminology, it makes you a better person than the other.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:03 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, maybe head to the embassy of the country they wish to immigrate to/apply for political asylum in? As far as I know Libya doesn't restrict access to passports/travel documents / leaving the country for it's citizens... I know many Libyans here in Canada and they speak of no such things under the new non-Gaddafi regime.

If Malta / EU can be so receptive to them once they reach EU shores, why can't they receive them at the embassy, and then send them properly to their destination via an aeroplane? South Korea does it... If a North Korean can reach an SK embassy, he/she will be transported to SK at SK's expense, retrained and given a JOB in SK. Not benefits. A JOB.
Coming back to this I get that you're 15, I think you're views are simplistic of how "easy" it might be are because you are young, and I suspect empathy is something gained with age which seems lacking. I often think that if I don't have enough knowledge of a subject that it's best not to contemplate too strong a view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.