Yes
22.58%
No
77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Romanias R Us

Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Romanias R Us

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So you think that people like to risk their lives in a "rickety old boat"...please note the many boat accidents with hundreds of men, women and children's lives lost. You don't think that they take that route through absolute desperation?

Moreover they lack the resources and knowledge to oh so easily apply for a work permit? What should they hop on the internet to do that? Please note the extreme sarcasm!!!

These people seek refuge...and I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't born there and don't have to worry about my children being raped or murdered.
No, I don't think they enjoy going on boats like that. My point is if they applied legally to work in the EU, and took a civilised means of transport to get there (ie a plane !) there wouldnt be those accidents! I would totally support putting tax dollars toward allowing people to apply for refugee status at any EU member state embassy, and from there be transported to said EU country! Just as long as after they get to their new destination, they work to contribute to the system that paid for them to get there! I'm against the benefits that the people get from my country's tax dollars, that I can't even claim as a citizen of my country. Not their cause. I too thank my lucky stars I was born in Canada and not "over there" , for the same reasons you do. I support these people and agree that everyone should have a safe, happy place to live, but I also think, that like everyone else they should have to pay for it too, not just live off of other people's tax dollars as a guest in someone else's country. They need to work and make themselves a working, contributing citizen of that country. Even if on a small job, they need to contribute.

Why do you think there is so much anti-immigrant sentiment in Malta? Anti-Romanian/Bulgarian sentiment in the UK?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Why do you think there is so much anti-immigrant sentiment in Malta? Anti-Romanian/Bulgarian sentiment in the UK?
Ignorant prejudice?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ignorant prejudice?
The people don't think it's fair that foreign nationals come into their country, and live off of their tax dollars without contributing to the system! And I agree! Why can't these "boat refugees" come to Malta and actually work instead of claiming benefits? Name a reason why. I would be fine with them being there if they worked... Now, I know some do, but most don't.

Same with the Romanians/Bulgarians in the UK. Actually especially the romanians and bulgarians. It's not like they are escaping imminent danger in Romania and Bulgaria. Both are EU nations with newly acquired freedom of movement... That looks pretty good on an international front, and if there was no opportunity to come to the UK, they could live there and feel safe.

I will admit that the Maltese population is VERY ignorant on the most part, very racist as well. You don't want to hear some of the comments they make, it makes you sick.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:35 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe if they'd like to move abroad for a better life - and i totally respect that, I would too if i was them - they do it legally by applying for a work permit like everyone else, and not coming over on rickety boats forcing Malta and the European Union to give them asylum and live for free off of Maltese and EU citizens tax money. When that happens and they start getting benefits, they think "ah this is nice, these benefits are 100x my salary from back home, so i can make this work" and then they don't get jobs and contribute back to the system they are taking from! Whether or not they are escaping a life of hardship I don't think its fair that they live off of Maltese citizens hard-earned money... They are free to come to Malta/the EU but they should not get benefits, they should have to find employment.
It's Maggie! She's baaaaack!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
It's Maggie! She's baaaaack!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:17 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

The people don't think it's fair that foreign nationals come into their country, and live off of their tax dollars without contributing to the system! And I agree! Why can't these "boat refugees" come to Malta and actually work instead of claiming benefits? Name a reason why. I would be fine with them being there if they worked... Now, I know some do, but most don't.

Same with the Romanians/Bulgarians in the UK. Actually especially the romanians and bulgarians. It's not like they are escaping imminent danger in Romania and Bulgaria. Both are EU nations with newly acquired freedom of movement... That looks pretty good on an international front, and if there was no opportunity to come to the UK, they could live there and feel safe.

I will admit that the Maltese population is VERY ignorant on the most part, very racist as well. You don't want to hear some of the comments they make, it makes you sick.
Oh dear.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's been some time since I lived there so I have no idea why there are so many unemployed.

If I was one of them, I would try to start up a small business myself. I would apply for as many grants as possible and try and start up something with minimal overheads.
Ah, the small business panacea. No grants available. Many unemployed lack the skills to succeed in business and would be unable to fund their start up. And all this presumes their is a demand for their service/product which in many areas, there is not. A select few can and do follow this route, and it is to be encouraged, but it's unrealistic to propose it as a general solution.

Ironically, the kind of scheme suggested in the article aims at preparing and training British youth to become more entrepreneurial, and it's this scheme which other EU nationals see as a good opportunity too.

More generally, I think Oink's idea is right. Much better state education, especially on foreign languages and STEM subjects. It costs money, but in the long term, it's money well spent.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Did anyone see the Romanians on "Benefits Street"? I felt really sorry for the second lot brought to the UK to work and then exploited. Not sure how sympathetic I was to the first lot though.

I guess until such time as challenged or changed, the law is the law.
Saw the young group of men and it did portray the struggle they have to endure. Not sure who the first vs second lot were? Felt sympathy for most on that program.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:14 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This thread is a bit frothy for me (and Maltese in other parts) but I thought it correct to record that Almost Canadian is right on for once.

Edited to add: This specific frothy business originates with a Telegraph piece announcing that some Romanian recruiting company is trying to exploit their local youth by offering to expedite them an easy passage to a UK apprenticeship scheme. There is no suggestion that any have actually done so, or that the recruitment company isn't the Romanian version of Brazalot.

Sober up everyone.
I prefer a bit froth to a lot of Marmite!
Interesting poll results too.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ah, the small business panacea. No grants available. Many unemployed lack the skills to succeed in business and would be unable to fund their start up. And all this presumes their is a demand for their service/product which in many areas, there is not. A select few can and do follow this route, and it is to be encouraged, but it's unrealistic to propose it as a general solution.

Ironically, the kind of scheme suggested in the article aims at preparing and training British youth to become more entrepreneurial, and it's this scheme which other EU nationals see as a good opportunity too.

More generally, I think Oink's idea is right. Much better state education, especially on foreign languages and STEM subjects. It costs money, but in the long term, it's money well spent.
How does "better education", whatever that means, assist plumbers, car mechanics, firemen?

What "skills" do successful business owners need, other than the ability to ensure that their income exceeds their expenses?

Does the Prince's Trust no longer exist?

What expenses are required to set up, for example, a mobile hairdressing business, or to become a self employed IT contractor, that would be beyond most hairdressers/IT workers?

One doesn't have to start up a multinational, one can easily become self employed in most occupations without requiring access to lots of money.

Of course, it is much easier to do nothing and complain that it is the State's responsibility to source work for everyone.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:35 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Ah nice... Wow, there's alot of people on here that somehow have a connection to Malta (which is a good thing! I'm used to "Malta? Whats Malta??" when I talk about it LOL) Did you enjoy those holidays at your uncles?
I'd expect most Brits (with any sort of education) to know at least a bit about Malta given the history as part of the British Empire, being part of the Commonwealth, and the importance in WW2.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:51 pm
Yo

How does "better education", whatever that means, assist plumbers, car mechanics, firemen?

Why do they need to be assisted? Kids who choose a vocational course generally end up getting employed (which is good). But, bear in the mind, there is a limit to the number of firemen, mechanics and even plumbers that are required. Indeed plenty of professionals from Europe have come over to provide plumbing services.

Education means that a young person may be able write software or teach or work in healthcare here or abroad. Right now, due to a lack of good education, such skilled work is beyond some kids' abilities

What "skills" do successful business owners need, other than the ability to ensure that their income exceeds their expenses?

Not sure. You might want to ask the thousands of business owners who despite enormous efforts (and often huge investment) see their businesses fail.

Does the Prince's Trust no longer exist?

It does.

What expenses are required to set up, for example, a mobile hairdressing business, or to become a self employed IT contractor, that would be beyond most hairdressers/IT workers?

These are good avenues for those that can pursue them. Agreed.

One doesn't have to start up a multinational, one can easily become self employed in most occupations without requiring access to lots of money.

Not really. Nothing to do with multinationals, without access to funding, very little can in fact be done. Business premises cost, insurance costs. Most people with a poor start in life end up with diminished prospects, which is the problem which needs to be addressed

Of course, it is much easier to do nothing and complain that it is the State's responsibility to source work for everyone.

It's a rhetorical remark, and I accept that the state does not need to provide work for everyone. However, I think that society does. If we want a fair society that is.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:06 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Employment regulations

Consumer regulations

The ability to be able to work and travel freely throughout the EU

I invite you to provide some that you don't believe are "good laws".
You'll need to be a bit more specific there.

I'm not sure the last one you listed could be construed as good but each to their own. Tied to that "free movement" is the free movement of not only people but services and capital. It's designed to skew the entire market and has. Extending from that, the idea of a single currency (and requiring its adoption by most countries, but not all) has clearly been a folly.

The idea of an "EU" isn't inherently bad. It's just gone way beyond scope and democratic legitimacy. I'm sure we all remember when the "wrong result" was obtained after Lisbon. Rather than accept - the EU started with threats and re-ran the elections until the "right result" was acquired.

It's shoddy and I'm glad to be out of it.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
You'll need to be a bit more specific there.

What do you want, EU Directives, Acts of Parliament and their section numbers?

I'm not sure the last one you listed could be construed as good but each to their own. Tied to that "free movement" is the free movement of not only people but services and capital. It's designed to skew the entire market and has. Extending from that, the idea of a single currency (and requiring its adoption by most countries, but not all) has clearly been a folly.

The idea of an "EU" isn't inherently bad. It's just gone way beyond scope and democratic legitimacy. I'm sure we all remember when the "wrong result" was obtained after Lisbon. Rather than accept - the EU started with threats and re-ran the elections until the "right result" was acquired.

It's shoddy and I'm glad to be out of it.
And yet you live in Canada. Tell me, how does the way the States of the EU interact with one another differ from the way the Federal and Provincial Governments of Canada do?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
It's a rhetorical remark, and I accept that the state does not need to provide work for everyone. However, I think that society does. If we want a fair society that is.
Is this context, what is society? Do you, does your neighbour have to provide work for others?

What about businesses that already employ others, do they have to employ more? How many does a business have to employ before it is employing "enough"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.