View Poll Results: Is this right ?
Yes
22.58%
No
77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Romanias R Us

Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Romanias R Us

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
My uncle worked as a security consultant for the Maltese govt. so I was often shipped off to his place for school holidays. His house keeper taught me some basic Maltese from Ladybird books so I could do my own shopping and get the bus. The local kids who I played with mostly spoke English but the older people tended not to.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My uncle worked as a security consultant for the Maltese govt. so I was often shipped off to his place for school holidays. His house keeper taught me some basic Maltese from Ladybird books so I could do my own shopping and get the bus. The local kids who I played with mostly spoke English but the older people tended not to.
Ah nice... Wow, there's alot of people on here that somehow have a connection to Malta (which is a good thing! I'm used to "Malta? Whats Malta??" when I talk about it LOL) Did you enjoy those holidays at your uncles?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Ah nice... Wow, there's alot of people on here that somehow have a connection to Malta (which is a good thing! I'm used to "Malta? Whats Malta??" when I talk about it LOL) Did you enjoy those holidays at your uncles?
Yes, it was great fun. Played a lot of football, used to go and watch the Hibernians play, also did lots of swimming and fishing. My uncle used to take me with him to work so I used to swim with the Prime Minister and some of his cabinet both at the club and in the sea. My uncle also had a cottage up in Gozo so we'd often go up there for weekends. I also used to buy lots of pairs of cheap jeans and sell to school friends back in the UK for a big profit. I have fond memories of the place.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was great fun. Played a lot of football, used to go and watch the Hibernians play, also did lots of swimming and fishing. My uncle used to take me with him to work so I used to swim with the Prime Minister and some of his cabinet both at the club and in the sea. My uncle also had a cottage up in Gozo so we'd often go up there for weekends. I also used to buy lots of pairs of cheap jeans and sell to school friends back in the UK for a big profit. I have fond memories of the place.
Geez you learned the Maltese ways from a young age! Who was the PM at the time may I ask?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:11 pm

Geez you learned the Maltese ways from a young age! Who was the PM at the time may I ask?
Dominick Mintoff. Late in his second tenure.

I also used to help our next door neighbour go and wash his horses in the sea, not sure if it was a good idea but he did it anyway and it was fun to ride the horses down to the water.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:27 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The simple fact of the matter is that most of the laws that expats wish were in operation in Canada came about as a result of EU directives.
For example?

Also, it works both ways. The EU doesn't only do "good laws".
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
For example?

Also, it works both ways. The EU doesn't only do "good laws".
Employment regulations

Consumer regulations

The ability to be able to work and travel freely throughout the EU

I invite you to provide some that you don't believe are "good laws".
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:04 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone see the Romanians on "Benefits Street"? I felt really sorry for the second lot brought to the UK to work and then exploited. Not sure how sympathetic I was to the first lot though.

I guess until such time as challenged or changed, the law is the law.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dominick Mintoff. Late in his second tenure.

I also used to help our next door neighbour go and wash his horses in the sea, not sure if it was a good idea but he did it anyway and it was fun to ride the horses down to the water.
Ahhh good old Dom Mintoff... Sounds like you had a good time in Malta as a kid Oink
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any actual evidence that the UK is becoming overrun with benefit seeking immigrants from the EU? I thought the objection was that Polish workers were "stealing" all the work from British ones.

I appreciate that I am a simpleton but both "arguments" cannot be correct
I havn't commented on any nationality stealing jobs, as I don't believe anyone steals jobs, it's upto an employer to employ the right person whomever that may be. As for the benefit thing, it's not just jobseekers and other cash money benefits etc, it's the health service etc thats under pressure from too many people and not enough paying proper taxes.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:55 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

+1... In Malta we have the refugees from Libya, and what do they do? Nothing... They take our Maltese tax euros, live in housing Malta pays for, have free bus passes, etc... Especially in a time where there is no jobs for Maltese citizens, we don't need these people in our country taking our jobs and money... Sorry to be frank but if you are sailing on a boat to Lampedusa and Malta isn't the solution. Better yet, the EU needs to take these immigrants out of Malta and put them in a non-saturated, already overpopulated EU country. The US and Canada could also help out by evaluating some of them for immigration to North America...
Maybe they're just looking to keep themselves and their kids alive while civil war rages on in their own country, but hey "not our problem"...
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Maybe they're just looking to keep themselves and their kids alive while civil war rages on in their own country, but hey "not our problem"...
Well maybe if they'd like to move abroad for a better life - and i totally respect that, I would too if i was them - they do it legally by applying for a work permit like everyone else, and not coming over on rickety boats forcing Malta and the European Union to give them asylum and live for free off of Maltese and EU citizens tax money. When that happens and they start getting benefits, they think "ah this is nice, these benefits are 100x my salary from back home, so i can make this work" and then they don't get jobs and contribute back to the system they are taking from! Whether or not they are escaping a life of hardship I don't think its fair that they live off of Maltese citizens hard-earned money... They are free to come to Malta/the EU but they should not get benefits, they should have to find employment.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:16 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe if they'd like to move abroad for a better life - and i totally respect that, I would too if i was them - they do it legally by applying for a work permit like everyone else, and not coming over on rickety boats forcing Malta and the European Union to give them asylum and live for free off of Maltese and EU citizens tax money. When that happens and they start getting benefits, they think "ah this is nice, these benefits are 100x my salary from back home, so i can make this work" and then they don't get jobs and contribute back to the system they are taking from! Whether or not they are escaping a life of hardship I don't think its fair that they live off of Maltese citizens hard-earned money... They are free to come to Malta/the EU but they should not get benefits, they should have to find employment.
Wow...your ignorance is breathtaking...
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:24 am
Muskoka, Ontario

So you think that people like to risk their lives in a "rickety old boat"...please note the many boat accidents with hundreds of men, women and children's lives lost. You don't think that they take that route through absolute desperation?

Moreover they lack the resources and knowledge to oh so easily apply for a work permit? What should they hop on the internet to do that? Please note the extreme sarcasm!!!

These people seek refuge...and I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't born there and don't have to worry about my children being raped or murdered.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Employment regulations

Consumer regulations

The ability to be able to work and travel freely throughout the EU

I invite you to provide some that you don't believe are "good laws".
This thread is a bit frothy for me (and Maltese in other parts) but I thought it correct to record that Almost Canadian is right on for once.

Edited to add: This specific frothy business originates with a Telegraph piece announcing that some Romanian recruiting company is trying to exploit their local youth by offering to expedite them an easy passage to a UK apprenticeship scheme. There is no suggestion that any have actually done so, or that the recruitment company isn't the Romanian version of Brazalot.

Sober up everyone.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 28th 2014 at 2:37 am. Reason: additional thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.