British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Rob Ford Again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/rob-ford-again-807532/)

Jingsamichty Nov 5th 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Rob Ford Again

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978027)
Is the issue that he smoked crack, or his "denials" that he had done so?

When that is a question you find yourself applying to the figurehead of your city, you've really got to ask if there's anyone else who might be a better representative for you...

Almost Canadian Nov 5th 2013 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10978047)
When that is a question you find yourself applying to the figurehead of your city, you've really got to ask if there's anyone else who might be a better representative for you...

Possibly. I thought the general complaint about politicians is that they are unrepresentative of the electorate.

What's wrong with smoking crack anyway?

Jingsamichty Nov 5th 2013 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978052)
Possibly. I thought the general complaint about politicians is that they are unrepresentative of the electorate.

What's wrong with smoking crack anyway?

It makes you tell lies.

iaink Nov 5th 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978027)
Is the issue that he smoked crack, or his "denials" that he had done so?

I think the issue is we live in a society where a majority of people can elect (and may yet reelect) Rob Ford as mayor of their city. Novo has the right idea, get out while the going is good!

Almost Canadian Nov 5th 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10978056)
I think the issue is we live in a society where a majority of people can elect Rob Ford as mayor of their city. Novo has the right idea, get out while the going is good!

Do you think he will be re-elected?

dbd33 Nov 5th 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978059)
Do you think he will be re-elected?

I do.

Almost Canadian Nov 5th 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10978062)
I do.

It that simply because of profile, or, media issues aside, he is a good mayor?

Oink Nov 5th 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978075)

The main story on the CBC news wasn't the fact that he smoked crack it was that some international news organizations are actually reporting about Canada. :rofl:

iaink Nov 5th 2013 7:17 pm

Single issue... Lower taxes.

I suspect his goose is probably cooked now and that another conservative candidate will emerge.

As mayors go hes terrible, hes divisive, hes hardly delivered anything he promised, he has if anything lowered the level of council ethics, hes constantly bluring lines between personal and mayoral business and his priorities have at times been somewhat questionable like leaving council sessions to go coach high school football. Its hard to put a lot of faith and trust in the judgment of a guy who smoked crack while allegedly pissed to the gills, lied about it and then berated journalists for not asking the right questions.

He'll probably be in the Federal Cabinet or better yet the Senate by the time hes finished.

dbd33 Nov 5th 2013 7:20 pm

IMO he's not a good mayor but I think most voters like what he stands for; shifting the tax burden downtown. I don't think most people care that he's an oaf.

That said, I don't think Toronto's had a good Mayor since Mel Lastman*, it's not as if there's a huge range of quality candidates to choose from.

* yes, I know he was corrupt and also an oaf but he sold Toronto well (at least to white people).

Hawk13 Nov 5th 2013 7:44 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty sure Rob Ford is one of these guys.

Shard Nov 5th 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10978093)

I suspect his goose is probably cooked now and that another conservative candidate will emerge.

As mayors go hes terrible, hes divisive, hes hardly delivered anything he promised, he has if anything lowered the level of council ethics, hes constantly bluring lines between personal and mayoral business and his priorities have at times been somewhat questionable like leaving council sessions to go coach high school football. Its hard to put a lot of faith and trust in the judgment of a guy who smoked crack while allegedly pissed to the gills, lied about it and then berated journalists for not asking the right questions.

He'll probably be in the Federal Cabinet or better yet the Senate by the time hes finished.

Not exactly a role model. Get rid of him Toronto.

Almost Canadian Nov 5th 2013 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10978093)

Puts lawyer's hat on: There is no such thing as a stupid answer; only a stupid question.

I have to admit I don't see the issue with smoking crack. A very clever University professor was on CNN the other day and stated that, in essence, it was no more harmful that pot.

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10978098)
IMO he's not a good mayor but I think most voters like what he stands for; shifting the tax burden downtown. I don't think most people care that he's an oaf.

That said, I don't think Toronto's had a good Mayor since Mel Lastman*, it's not as if there's a huge range of quality candidates to choose from.

* yes, I know he was corrupt and also an oaf but he sold Toronto well (at least to white people).

Will no one from the right wing side of the fence go up against him?

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10978138)
Not exactly a role model. Get rid of him Toronto.

Do we expect politicians to be role models, I thought that was the domain of sport, pop stars and movie stars? From that perspective, he seems to fit the mould:p

iaink Nov 5th 2013 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10978157)
Puts lawyer's hat on: There is no such thing as a stupid answer; only a stupid question.

I have to admit I don't see the issue with smoking crack. A very clever University professor was on CNN the other day and stated that, in essence, it was no more harmful that pot.

Its not really about role models or crack use, its about his honesty and trusting his judgment to do the right thing as CEO of a city with a $10Bn budget and 5M people. The crack thing is the latest in a long list of dubious acts by the citys elected leader.

I wouldnt trust him to baby sit a 10 year old, never mind run a city.

As you may have figured out I dont have much regard for most politicians, but I will judge them based on their ability to deliver on the promises that got them elected, and whether they behave in an upfront, ethical way. If they can do those two things then you cant really argue with democracy in action even if you disagree with the actions themselves. But any way you look at it Rob Ford gets a failing grade.

Novocastrian Nov 5th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10978056)
I think the issue is we live in a society where a majority of people can elect (and may yet reelect) Rob Ford as mayor of their city. Novo has the right idea, get out while the going is good!

Well yes, but he's not my Mayor you know. I live in Richmond Hill.

Toronto is lucky, it gets all the laughs.

For instance when Ford said "God Bless Toronto".