Wikiposts

Road rage in Canada

Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:26 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road rage in Canada

Originally Posted by Danny B
I was actually looking for incidents of people getting out of their car, coming over to your vehicle and then slagging you off or worse still trying to punch you through an open window.
this better ?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...-shooting.html

this is more the way we do it here........
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The cutting up of one another I can deal with, the gesturing and shouting I find amusing, but the actual act of someone stopping their car and walking over to yours, I haven't seen (so far) in Canada.(
If I commute to downtown I see this once a week or so. It really pisses me off because it necessarily blocks the highway, if the traffic is already stop/go for miles no one needs this as well. It's the same sort of rudeness as sorting out a $50 collision between one beige or grey Honda and another while stopped in the traffic lanes. Naturally, I pass such people as close as I dare going as fast as I dare.

In Summer I often see motorcyclists kicking the panels of cars stopped beside them on the highway, the root of this is that they think a Harley-Tractor thing is a vehicle and people in cars think of them as an obstruction, Asian drivers in particular pull alongside them and they then try to defend their space by kicking the doors. Sadly, I haven't yet seen any tiny Asian lady back up her Navigator or Lexo-truck and run over the person with Harley written all over him.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:07 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
this better ?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...-shooting.html

this is more the way we do it here........
A drive by shooting and a hit and run...cowards.
Does anyone fist fight on the bonnet of their car anymore?

I remember getting my collar ruffled by a bloke on the M4 once for allegedly braking on a bend
He stepped out of his car before I could wind my windows up and started adjusting my tie

I can search google for road rage until my heart is content, but I still haven't seen it up close and personal yet, and I've travelled a fair bit through western Canada in the past year.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, I just think Canadian drivers keep themselves to themselves and wouldn't get out of their car to instigate a fight. (well maybe in Fort McMurray!)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:09 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If I commute to downtown I see this once a week or so. It really pisses me off because it necessarily blocks the highway, if the traffic is already stop/go for miles no one needs this as well. It's the same sort of rudeness as sorting out a $50 collision between one beige or grey Honda and another while stopped in the traffic lanes. Naturally, I pass such people as close as I dare going as fast as I dare.

In Summer I often see motorcyclists kicking the panels of cars stopped beside them on the highway, the root of this is that they think a Harley-Tractor thing is a vehicle and people in cars think of them as an obstruction, Asian drivers in particular pull alongside them and they then try to defend their space by kicking the doors. Sadly, I haven't yet seen any tiny Asian lady back up her Navigator or Lexo-truck and run over the person with Harley written all over him.
I'm a biker myself and I think the filtering laws in this country are absurd givien the size of the roads.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:12 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, I just think Canadian drivers keep themselves to themselves and wouldn't get out of their car to instigate a fight. (well maybe in Fort McMurray!)
they don't get out for food..... or coffee and dougnuts....

why get out to fight...........
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:05 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by MikeUK
they don't get out for food..... or coffee and dougnuts....

why get out to fight...........
They get out to buy crap at garage sales every weekend.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:25 am
Part Time Poster

They get out to buy crap at garage sales every weekend.
that only because nobody's built a drive through garage sale yet...........
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I witnessed road rage in England some years back. I was exiting a roundabout when the traffic in front of me stopped. About two cars in front a guy got out of his vehicle and went to the car in front of him.

He was red in the face and appeared to be jumping up and down .... literally "hopping mad" I guessed. Then he returned to his car, drove around the car that had offended him and drove off. We then passed the car, still sitting there ... the driver was on her phone, obviously shaken .... her windscreen had been completely smashed in! I supposed the guy felt she had cut him up at the roundabaout.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:30 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was subjected to road rage in the UK - a woman felt badly done by not being let in on a roundabout, and decided to take it out on Mrs Rich.

At next set of traffic lights she drew up alongside, got out of her car and knocked on my wife's window.

Mrs Rich wound it down, wondering what the problem was, and the woman grabbed her by the throat. Not one to be messed with, Mrs Rich pushed her door open, got out of her car and punched the woman on her nose (broke it).

She felt bad, so reported the incident to the police, who said her actions were in self defence and not to worry about it. Shook her up a lot though.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

The winter before last I was driving home from work one night when the car decided to go sideways down a hill across three lanes of traffic (two of them oncoming). I managed to get back on track but not without some idiot getting right up my arse and tailgating me to the next set of lights where he sounded his horn.
Unfortunately for him, the lights changed to red just as he got there.
I got out of the car and slid over to his car shouting "What's your f**kin' problem mate?!" and he decided not to risk the thorough beating I was willing to give him and jumped the red light, nearly causing another accident in his desperation to escape.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

I stumbled upon this video of some M25 road rage earlier tonight and it got me thinking that I haven't seen any road rage whatsoever in the last year. I've driven on numerous occasions to Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton and never once was I subjected to any abuse.
I've been cut up, had some near misses and been really pissed off with people but never once have I had anyone get out of there car and mouth me off here in Canada.

Has anyone else?
I think that mummy didn't show enough attention when he was 17 about two weeks ago. I commute the A1/M25 and M3 on a reguler basis and being a biker I'm not neccessarily the most popular traveller on the road but on a whole most people try to let us through when it all goes Pete Tong. Manners cost nothing so maybe we need to get him up North for a few lessons?

Shaun
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by sarahandshaun
I think that mummy didn't show enough attention when he was 17 about two weeks ago. I commute the A1/M25 and M3 on a reguler basis and being a biker I'm not neccessarily the most popular traveller on the road but on a whole most people try to let us through when it all goes Pete Tong. Manners cost nothing so maybe we need to get him up North for a few lessons?

Shaun
I commuted from Camberley to W.London every weekday for 5yrs by motorbike. Despite having one 'off' I do think that British drivers are far more bike aware than North American drivers.
UK drivers are still road ragers, but at least they watch out for bikers
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:27 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Danny, I'd agree with you, but qualify it to say drivers in London & the South-East. They are much more aware of motorcyclists simply due to the enormous number of bikers there.

I used to commute from Wimbledon to Brentford/Kew Bridge by motorbike - a 20 minute fun-filled blast compared to either a 1 hour (minimum) car hell journey on the S. Circular or a connectiing nightmare of a train journey.

If filtering was permitted here I'd definitely be riding a bike. It breaks my soul to see all these bikes inching patiently along behind an F-350's exhaust pipe.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:43 am
Tea Drinker

I really miss driving in the UK I found another amusing video this morning of some typical road rage.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=472_1223066692

There is some strong language so watch out if kids are nearby.

I've still never seen this happen in Canada yet.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:01 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Toronto, we pretty much always get tailgated along the 50kmh road near our apartment by other vehicles. They get extremely close to our bumper in an attempt to get us to go faster.

My answer to that is to drop the automatic gearshift into 3rd and slow down. If the idiot hits my car he's gonna be at fault.