Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Risking egg on face here

Risking egg on face here

Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Risking egg on face here

However it's really annoying to read posts when the meaning is lost in the spelling and grammar. I know I make mistakes too. Sometimes I am too lazy to check, so I really shouldn't be posting this at all, but what the heck. Feel free to criticise. I know you will!

The mental image of a boarder collie made me post this! Perhaps it was more lodger than a dog??

So here are some examples that might help......
  • They’re over there by their table
  • It’s the dog's fault it lost its collar
  • Who’s taking whose car?
  • Two boys were too tired to walk
  • Ensure that he insures his car
  • I was affected by the effect of the heat.
  • She was a boarder at a school near the border.
  • We’re walking by the weir on the River Wear
  • Where were we walking?

Last edited by daft batty; Dec 29th 2007 at 10:42 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Risking egg on face here

Originally Posted by daft batty
However it's really annoying to read posts when the meaning is lost in the spelling and grammar. I know I make mistakes too. Sometimes I am too lazy to check, so I really shouldn't be posting this at all, but what the heck. Feel free to criticise. I know you will!
Good points. I usually have to go back and edit the odd post of mine for spelling.

In the UK, in the last five years before I moved here it seemed that most of the school leavers had very bad grammar and spelling when filling out application forms for employment. Their writing skills and ability to do math sums in their head was non-existent in about half the applicants, none of whom were given a job.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My gramma and spellin ain't perfick neever, but it is hard to understand wot peeps is going on abowt sometimes. I agree wiv your post batty.

Seriously, I know we can sound 'up ourselves' on threads like this - but I sometimes have to give up on some threads because it is just too much to wade through

Anything with language/spellings/grammer was drummed into me by my mother when I was at school. She was very hot on it. Wish my poor old dad had managed to instill the numbers bit into me too. I am not numerate at all. We all have different skills and strengths.
But to be able to use your own language properly is a fundamental tool for life ....
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Feel free to criticise. I know you will!
[*]It’s the dogs fault it lost its collar
Tut tut. (Missing apostrophe, dog's)

BTW, I couldn't agree more.
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Good points. I usually have to go back and edit the odd post of mine for spelling.

In the UK, in the last five years before I moved here it seemed that most of the school leavers had very bad grammar and spelling when filling out application forms for employment. Their writing skills and ability to do math sums in their head was non-existent in about half the applicants, none of whom were given a job.
My OH was teaching the other day and one of his students (a PhD student) struggled with 4 x 4.....then she said "I should know that, shouldn't I?"......
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Agreed - in my experience of recruiting, even university graduates showed very poor language and grammar skills, yet they expected a degree or masters degree would be an open door to a job and a large salary. Often they got a rude awakening.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Tut tut. (Missing apostrophe, dog's)

BTW, I couldn't agree more.
oops

corrected!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Agreed - in my experience of recruiting, even university graduates showed very poor language and grammar skills, yet they expected a degree or masters degree would be an open door to a job and a large salary. Often they got a rude awakening.
<kicks tyres [note I can still do britspeak]on thread, yup, this one's a runner>
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of the posts on here are from people with masters degrees, but they can't spell the basics. We all make mistakes but when they are consistent it just makes me tear my hair out

I do sympathise with those with dyslexia and who may have had poor schooling as a result, but that's not the majority.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I am a real spelling and grammar fanatic -- however, over the years in various posts on various boards people made a big fuss if their use of either got criticized. So I usually just put up with it! I often wonder if they really do not know the correct way to spell words, or if they just don't bother on the Internet.

As I commented to someone years ago when a workmate insisted on "I should've went to the Cornwall Centre at lunch time" --- if she has to write a business letter - would she say "went"?? (Maybe it would be written "should of went"!!)

I have no idea - seems to me if you know the correct way, why wouldn't you use it all the time? Mind you, I have to admit that in emails I tend to write everything in lower case to my friends!!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think emailing, and to some extent on here, is like conversation. So you can be informal. However if the poster is asking for help or trying to explain something then they need to take the time to make it make sense.

We were always told at school not to use the word "got", so I cringe when I see that too. School has much to answer for.

Last edited by daft batty; Dec 29th 2007 at 11:28 pm. Reason: mistakes!!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I think there are much more important things to worry about in this world, than look for grammatical errors in someone's post.

Not everyone on here has a degree or are the best spellers or have the greatest command of English - often I will make mistakes in posts.

To me the the passion, determination and love that the people have on here excuses any mistakes.

Criticisms may make it less likely for everyone to feel welcome !

Anyway that is my take on this thread !
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
To be honest I think there are much more important things to worry about in this world, than look for grammatical errors in someone's post.

Not everyone on here has a degree or are the best spellers or have the greatest command of English - often I will make mistakes in posts.

To me the the passion, determination and love that the people have on here excuses any mistakes.

Criticisms may make it less likely for everyone to feel welcome !

Anyway that is my take on this thread !
My original post said that its annoying "when the meaning is lost in the spelling and grammar. I know I make mistakes too". Sometimes the posts just dont make sense and I have to go back and read it again to work out what really was meant.

Its not a witch hunt on bad spelling.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned grammar as well !!! And maybe nor everyone is aware of correct grammar !
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:19 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Grammar and spelling mistakes don't really bother me all that much so long as I can get the drift of what's being written. I know I make mistakes and often leave out entire words in my writing. I find it hard to proofread my own writing as my brain just 'fills in the blanks' and mistakes just don't register. I spent a fortune on beer to ply my friends into proofreading my boring essays at uni.

What gets my ginch though is when a whole sentence is txt spk, u no wht i mn, m8? i h8 it! :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.