Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The right thing to do?

The right thing to do?

Old May 4th 2009, 1:13 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The right thing to do?

I wondered if the Macdonald's employee was right to throw burning oil on this thief?

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Apparently the police are not gong to prefer charges, but surely this was over-reaction? Those drive through windows aren't very big anyhow...could they not have slammed it shut and called for help?
Old May 4th 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The right thing to do?

A guy starts threatening people with knives and leaning through windows grabbing money gets what he's given as far as I can see !
Old May 4th 2009, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by ann m
A guy starts threatening people with knives and leaning through windows grabbing money gets what he's given as far as I can see !
But was that defence using that amount of burning oil "reasonable" as stated in the law?

Here's what the law states;

What is a reasonable degree is measured in proportion to the force or threatened force that you are faced with. This means that you cannot injure your attacker if he or she is retreating, nor continue to apply force if it goes past the point of defence and becomes instead an act of retaliation or revenge.

I can't decide....Throwing the oil on his knife welding hand, yes, but this will mean scars on his face for life.

I think the police could have put a statement out reminding people that they may be charged if they go too far.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seaham gal
But was that defence using that amount of burning oil "reasonable" as stated in the law?

I can't decide....Throwing the oil on his knife welding hand, yes, but this will mean scars on his face for life.
I agree - but I suspect this was one of those momentary bright ideas - I know, let's throw this on him, that'll make him go away - without much thought behind it or analysis of what might be reasonable.

I would imagine that in reality, the employees are told when training that they are not to tackle robbers and to just give them the money.

But I'm afraid I still have little sympathy - it's like the burglars who get bashed round the head, or bank robbers who get tackled and assaulted. Sorry - but if you are out to commit crime, be prepared for Mr or Mrs Joe Public to take exception and assault you. Tough!
Old May 4th 2009, 2:10 am

I agree - but I suspect this was one of those momentary bright ideas - I know, let's throw this on him, that'll make him go away - without much thought behind it or analysis of what might be reasonable.

I would imagine that in reality, the employees are told when training that they are not to tackle robbers and to just give them the money.

But I'm afraid I still have little sympathy - it's like the burglars who get bashed round the head, or bank robbers who get tackled and assaulted. Sorry - but if you are out to commit crime, be prepared for Mr or Mrs Joe Public to take exception and assault you. Tough!
Now the police will be looking for a very red faced guy with very oily hair - shouldn't be hard to spot. Probably get him in the shampoo section of London Drugs!
Old May 4th 2009, 5:37 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - think it was probably a quick reaction - when thought thru prob not the best reaction -BUT other person shouldnt have been a thieving little toe rag!!
Old May 6th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

+1