Retirement Planning

Old Jul 10th 2016, 10:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement Planning

Originally Posted by not2old
how does that work?
I just have to act as agent for some deeply religious person doing god's work. What could go wrong?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 7:33 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I just have to act as agent for some deeply religious person doing god's work. What could go wrong?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 2:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I saw a bit of his Brexit I think, but regardless can't stand the guy.
I don't find it particularly funny although he does try to take things head on from a very liberal perspective.

It's on after Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley and Veep which are all brilliant shows.

It's popular in North America because the irony is emphasised as much as possible. British humour surpassed it some 40 years ago.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have no idea how much we spend.
Typical woman!
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I don't find it particularly funny although he does try to take things head on from a very liberal perspective.

It's on after Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley and Veep which are all brilliant shows.

It's popular in North America because the irony is emphasised as much as possible. British humour surpassed it some 40 years ago.

Typical woman!

Certainly like Veep and SV.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
For what it's worth.
My wife and I were never high earners, she a clerk and me an engineer, but what we did do was realise before it was too late that pension schemes could be bad news. I never liked the idea of giving other people my money and then if I lived long enough to retire having to rely on their good nature to give me some of it back. The realisation that pension providers always made a healthy profit was enough evidence for me that they weren't playing fair.
We chose to miss out on government allowances but instead saved in accounts, trusts and ISAs etc that meant we always had access to our savings, and saving became much easier when we had paid off our mortgage early.
What this has meant is that in our later life is that we have enough money to do whatever we want with and our state and employment pensions now meet our needs quite easily. Saving enabled me to semi-retire (working 2 days a week) at the age of 55 and fully retire at about 60, something I always planned for and something I would recommend and it also enabled us to move here, something not planned for but well within our resources.
My experience with financial advisors has not been good. The only advisor we ever used lost us money and I can do that quite easliy for myself, but we may have chosen badly.
It's a truism that money makes money, although these days it makes less than it used to.
I wouldn't say we were rich but we have enough. If there is one dollar left in the bank when the last of us goes, then it doesn't really matter how much money you have because you had sufficient. Money only assumes importance when you don't have enough of it. My daughter will inherit the house I own and that will ensure her family security, a benefit that I never had.
As an aside, when I retired at 55, a number of my colleagues expressed the wish that they could do the same. As I explained to them, it was a lifestyle choice I had made. If you want a new car every year, frequent holidays in the Bahamas and expensive everything then you'll need a never ending flow of cash to support it.

Fully agree here - i'd rather get ALL of my paycheque and sod the company pension scheme and invest and manage my own money.

Tirytory like you my parents are incorporated and retirement planning is up to them. They prefer it this way without pensions and such so they can manage and invest as much or as little as they want, and can diversify their investments in different ways.

Also, being incorporated has lots of benefits. If you haven't already, get a corporate credit card. "Corporate expenses" can be written off on taxes, and each "employee" of the corporation (have your DH list you as an employee and pay you a salary - yes this is legal) is entitled to a $500 free gift every year, written off on taxes. We use prepaid visa cards for this and then use them for general purchases.

More on corp. expenses - Any mobile phone, internet bill and such can count as a corp. expense. While your DH is on call meals out count, or taking employees for a business lunch. You get what I mean. Lots to take advantage of by incorporating.
Good luck
Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Also, being incorporated has lots of benefits. If you haven't already, get a corporate credit card. "Corporate expenses" can be written off on taxes, and each "employee" of the corporation (have your DH list you as an employee and pay you a salary - yes this is legal) is entitled to a $500 free gift every year, written off on taxes. We use prepaid visa cards for this and then use them for general purchases.

More on corp. expenses - Any mobile phone, internet bill and such can count as a corp. expense. While your DH is on call meals out count, or taking employees for a business lunch. You get what I mean. Lots to take advantage of by incorporating.
Good luck
Ahem...

Corporate expenses are deductible for tax purposes. "Corporate expenses" are not.

Employees can have one NON CASH gift a year. A prepaid visa card is not non-cash.

On other expenses they must a) be incurred to earn taxable income and b) reasonable in the circumstances. A date night with your OH is neither even if they are on the payroll.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Why has my retirement planning thread descended into cruise ship talk?

Is this what will happen to me too?

It's ok JonboyE and Gozit, I'm slowly getting clued into the incorporation side of things. Actually the thread has given me a few thoughts and helped me think things through a bit, I've been reading if not commenting.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Why has my retirement planning thread descended into cruise ship talk?
It's the perfect example of doing it right.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

Fully agree here - i'd rather get ALL of my paycheque and sod the company pension scheme and invest and manage my own money.

Tirytory like you my parents are incorporated and retirement planning is up to them. They prefer it this way without pensions and such so they can manage and invest as much or as little as they want, and can diversify their investments in different ways.

Good luck
Your DH ?!!

Don't tell me you've been Mumsnetting? It's the only place I've seen that acronym...
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:13 pm
Oscar nominated

Your DH ?!!

Don't tell me you've been Mumsnetting? It's the only place I've seen that acronym...
I've seen it on BE a few times. Possibly more on MBTTUK.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Your DH ?!!

Nope, seen it on BE too
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved the off topic posts re cruising to a new thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...thread-880322/
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:06 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it was just a joke
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:08 am
Muskoka, Ontario

It was just a joke JG ...

Something weird is happening... I go to answer on the other thread and it appears on this one...
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I know I could not do a cruise ship. I did go on a ship a few years back - me and my 2CV and Springer Spaniel caught a freighter out of Bristol and it took twelve weeks to get to Ashdod - but it was fun.

If I tried to get my husband on a cruise ship it would be most unpleasant....i would feel like a hamptser on a wheel and he would be certifiable after more than 48 hours

What exactly is retirement? I don't think I want any part of it for another 40 years or so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.