Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Misadventures

Restaurant Misadventures

Old Apr 12th 2017, 6:03 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Restaurant Misadventures

I thought I'd suggest that posters tells us of their strange and enjoyable restaurant misadventures, so I'll start with one of mine.

Bored with the center of Shanghai we caught the subway to the outskirts to explore a park. Come lunchtime we popped into a restaurant for lunch.

Not speaking chinese was a little awkward as nobody spoke english.. but we did have a phrase book. After ordering a few beers, something we had become quite adept in, we tackled the problem of grub. As usual we opened it to a food page and pointed at dishes we thought we might like and as usual ordered a meat dish and a fish dish.

The waitress disappeared, as did our beers.. it was warm, and were settling down to listen to the jabber of our fellow munchers when we were appoached by a little old man carrying a red polythene bag. He stood there speaking jibberish at us.

Now we'd experienced a great deal of uninvited selling so we told him to bugger off. In fact we kept telling him to bugger off and he kept speaking at us, it was getting a little heated.

After a few minutes he shouted at the waitress who appered out of nowhere and immediately understood. She pointed at the bag and must have told him to show us the contents. We looked in, it contained the live fish we'd ordered and was it to our satisfaction.

It was and we were the last to leave many beers later.

What tales do you have?