Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Repairing old drywall

Repairing old drywall

Old Sep 27th 2015, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repairing old drywall

Take off the old drywall, add 2x2s and re-insulate with R 22 or R24 batts.
Get the air/vapour barrier sealed correctly to the electrical sockets and switches, and Bob's your uncle. Warmer and more efficient from several angles.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 7:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised they haven't improved on that. A more expensive option is polyurethane rigid foam but you can achieve r-28 in a 2x4 wall. At least it's made in the right size. They say recoups the expense on a few years but I suspect that may mean vs no insulation at all.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:35 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
You only need to ask yourself "what would Mike Holmes do?"

He'd tear the house down, build everything with that pink wood then spray foam the hell out of everything, finishing off with several tubs of caulking
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:38 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Leaning towards the rip out and replace option, but because its the wall adjoining the garage, it kind of scares me as we will then have to insulate, seal, blah,blah, blah. And yes, we do have aluminium wiring and don't want to touch that at all!

Give me a nice bricks and mortar construction with a bit of plastering and I'm ok but when its all wood and drywall and plastic sheeting and sticky tape I'm a little more out of my comfort zone!
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
This probably will get the prize for the most boring thread this evening, but I'm looking for some tips on what to do with our drywall.

We have a humble 1970's abode that is covered in wood panelling on most of the main floor. Its not fancy - its just plain wood with no panels or relief or anything and its very dark. I've been wanting to get shot of it for ages and replace it with lovely painted walls.

Anyway, we finally plucked up the courage to pull it off one of the walls and behind we do have drywall but it is covered in old glue, which I doubt would be possible to remove, plus there are a few tears in it.

Any suggestions on what the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be?
1. try and remove the glue with something (not sure what) and patch up the tears.
2. just add more drywall on top.
3. remove the old drywall completely and replace with new drywall.

Cheers!
Flossie
I had this issue with a couple of rooms in the house (1960s). One of the bedrooms had one wall with rough sawn wooden panelling. I took this off and was left with plasterboard where the glue was either still stuck on or had pulled off the paper when it stayed on the timber. I tried scraping the glue off the plasterboard but this tore the paper lining off and was fiddly to repair. Then I tried sanding the glue off the plasterboard. This worked quite well and I used some stain block paint and then emulsion paint (is that acrylic here?) and it looked quite reasonable when finished.

The next area was the basement where they had put in some really crude wood panelling. Taking in account the time spent to repair the bedroom wall and other issues with the basement I just removed all the drywall which I'm sure was the best approach.

6 months later it is now apparent that the stain block paint on the bedroom wall isn't effective enough and the outline of the dark glue is visible. I think I will try a better stainblock paint and if that doesn't work just add a second layer of 6mm plasterboard.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We extended our previous house. That entailed hanging, taping and mudding 90 sheets of drywall which we fetched from Buffalo. At the end of that we were, and are, pretty good at this game. We recently replaced about half of the drywall in the bathroom here.

What I'd do is, rip out the old drywall, hang new sheets. Find a professional drywaller who wants some extra cash and pay him or her to finish it. For the money involved the dust and effort just isn't worthwhile, a skilled worker won't make so much dust and watching is more restful than sanding. It'll take you weeks, a skilled worker days.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:35 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

What I'd do is, rip out the old drywall, hang new sheets. Find a professional drywaller who wants some extra cash and pay him or her to finish it. For the money involved the dust and effort just isn't worthwhile, a skilled worker won't make so much dust and watching is more restful than sanding. It'll take you weeks, a skilled worker days.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:02 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could buy a roll of poly and a hod and trowel and about 10 bags of plaster and just plaster the granny out of it, as much like home as you want. I've seen a plasterer do it, mix a garbage can full and go like mad. Comfort zone? Hah!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute

I got a nice guy to come in and patch ours where DS had punched the wall in frustration of his PS4 game (oh how I wished we were in England at that time so he could have punched the brick wall and learnt not to do it). He was very reasonable and did a good job. PM me if you want his number.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylord
Worth testing for asbestos in drywall. This would need to be removed professionally, unless you're willing to take the risk both my breathing in particles and at the dump site. We're renovating and keeping as much of the original drywall in tact as possible so as not to incur additional costs.
Yes Yes Yes!!! Your 1970s home is 99% certain to have asbestos in the drywall. Well its in the mud and tape. The amount of ppl including a bunch on here it seems just rip drywall out without a second thought for testing for asbestos. Just this week I refused to rip drywall out at work as it had not been tested.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:57 pm

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inse
Take off the old drywall, add 2x2s and re-insulate with R 22 or R24 batts.
Get the air/vapour barrier sealed correctly to the electrical sockets and switches, and Bob's your uncle. Warmer and more efficient from several angles.
The difficulty with that solution I've already pointed out, is you then have to move the electrical outlets and switches forward to be flush with the new drywall. This is not that easy to do with wiring that is already stapled in place. Also I believe the OP's home has aluminum wiring which probably is not a good idea to move.

To those concerned with asbestos, a little research will reveal that asbestos is likely to be in only the joint compound and that would amount to 0.2 or 0.3 percent of the total amount to be removed (drywall plus compound).
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
The difficulty with that solution I've already pointed out, is you then have to move the electrical outlets and switches forward to be flush with the new drywall. This is not that easy to do with wiring that is already stapled in place. .......
In my experience there is usually 6"-8" (15cm-20cm) of "spare" wire coiled up inside the back box, such that the box could easily be moved forward by 2" (5cm) without having to remove staples and move the wire.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We extended our previous house. That entailed hanging, taping and mudding 90 sheets of drywall which we fetched from Buffalo. At the end of that we were, and are, pretty good at this game. We recently replaced about half of the drywall in the bathroom here.

Drywall is fairly cheap isn't it? How much cheaper in the USA is it out of interest?

I notice that it seems to be common practice here to install the drywall with the long edge of the boards horizontal which to me has the disadvantage of leaving an unsupported board edge at just the height where it is most likely to be leaned on and crack in spite of being taped. My preference, and what I've seen in the UK generally, is to place the boards with the long edge vertical and lined up on the vertical studs so that as long as the ceiling is no higher than 8 feet there shouldn't be any unsupported board edges.

As you suggest I wouldn't attempt to do the finishing plaster skimming.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Drywall is fairly cheap isn't it? How much cheaper in the USA is it out of interest?

I notice that it seems to be common practice here to install the drywall with the long edge of the boards horizontal which to me has the disadvantage of leaving an unsupported board edge at just the height where it is most likely to be leaned on and crack in spite of being taped. My preference, and what I've seen in the UK generally, is to place the boards with the long edge vertical and lined up on the vertical studs so that as long as the ceiling is no higher than 8 feet there shouldn't be any unsupported board edges. ......
I have never seen a wall cracked at the unsupported seam 4ft off the ground. Drywall is commonly available in 12ft lengths, meaning that when installed horizontally, there are very few vertical seams in most houses. I suspect that tying together the studs horizontally increases the rigidity of the house's framing, especially if using 12ft lengths.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In my experience there is usually 6"-8" (15cm-20cm) of "spare" wire coiled up inside the back box, such that the box could easily be moved forward by 2" (5cm) without having to remove staples and move the wire.
That "spare wire" as you call it, is there for a purpose. It is not there so you can relocate the box.

If you read the "Simplified Wiring Code" available at most DIY stores it'll explain why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.