Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Rent, buy or lease a car?

Rent, buy or lease a car?

Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent, buy or lease a car?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Nope new, and cost, for new

Did u know

For 10,000$ you can buy a new Nissan Micra
You should start a consumer reports blog.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

We recently leased 2 new (Ford/Lincoln) cars

The first one is a Ford F150. FX4 version, fully loaded w/navigation system, 4x4, leather heated/aircon seats, etc.

With the trade of the old truck the payment is $300/month including maintenance. That means all we pay is $300/mo + insurance + petrol. All maintenance over the course of the lease is covered. Its a 3 year lease so in 3 years dad gets new truck. Without the trade the payment would've been $600/month with maintenance plan included, then add your insurance and petrol on top.

The second car is a Lincoln MKC. Again top of the line version, every bell and whistle imaginable. With the trade of old car payment is around $400/month with the exact package as the truck. Same thing 3 year lease with maintenance pack. Without the trade in the payment was going to be around $670/month again maintenance included.

So its possible to get a fully loaded car on a lease for the same price as renting an "economical" car for 30 days rolling.

Shard I think this also answers your question about leasing in Canada vs UK. From what I understand leasing a car in UK means long letting it from a rental car company, ie you can't cherry pick your car, you get what you get don't fret type thing, but insurance etc is included.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

So its possible to get a fully loaded car on a lease for the same price as renting an "economical" car for 30 days rolling.
Only if you already have a pretty valuable existing vehicle to trade in to get the monthly rate down.

Then in 3 years time you wont actually own anything you can trade in, so you are going to be looking at $600+ if you want to keep on rolling in the same style.

Leasing in the UK is the same as here, You choose a vehicle, and then finance only the agreed depreciation between the initial cost and what the car company is prepared to gamble it will be worth at the end of the lease. If you use more miles than you agreed on they screw you for the extra depreciation, if you use less, then they get the benefit of a more gently used low mileage vehicle to sell on the used market, unless you want to buy it, but then only for the price you agreed up front for a vehicle that in theory should have a lot more miles. Heads you lose, tails they win.

The other down side is that the car company has all the power to decide on both the initial cost and the residual value. As a "buyer" your ability to negotiate over either the initial cost or the end of lease value is not as great as when you are purchasing the vehicle and know what the invoice price to the dealer is and can use that as leverage to get a deal or else walk away.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2014 at 7:54 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Only if you already have a pretty valuable existing vehicle to trade in to get the monthly rate down.

Then in 3 years time you wont actually own anything you can trade in, so you are going to be looking at $600+ if you want to keep on rolling in the same style.

Leasing in the UK is the same as here, You choose a vehicle, and then you pay the finance on the agreed depreciation between the initial cost and what the car company is prepared to gamble it will be worth at the end of the lease.

The down side is that the car company has the majority of the power to decide on both these numbers and as a "buyer" your ability to negotiate over either the initial cost or the end of lease value is not as great as when you are purchasing the vehicle and know what the invoice price to the dealer is and can use that as leverage to get a deal.
True, but OP's quote of $800/month is still more than that new-lease-with-nothing-to-trade-in price of $600/month. Plus my figures are for more loaded cars. I'm sure if he wanted to go for a more economical/cheaper car it would be cheaper on both fronts.

And good to know about leasing in UK. People over on MBTTUK were insisting that you had to go through rental companies.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

True, but OP's quote of $800/month is still more than that new-lease-with-nothing-to-trade-in price of $600/month. Plus my figures are for more loaded cars. I'm sure if he wanted to go for a more economical/cheaper car it would be cheaper on both fronts.
His rental cost includes the insurance and can be cut short with minimal notice. Your lease does not.
And good to know about leasing in UK. People over on MBTTUK were insisting that you had to go through rental companies.
With no credit history you probably do.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

His rental cost includes the insurance. Your lease does not.
That's true too. But take say a Ford Focus, base model. Worth some odd $16k. Lease payment without a trade and bargained for maintenance pack is $400/month. Add insurance and as long as you aren't me (an under 25 male with very expensive insurance) then you'll come out ahead of the rental.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With no credit history you probably do.
Yes but that wasn't stipulated in my question
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

That's true too. But take say a Ford Focus, base model. Worth some odd $16k. Lease payment without a trade and bargained for maintenance pack is $400/month. Add insurance and as long as you aren't me (an under 25 male with very expensive insurance) then you'll come out ahead of the rental.
But you will be married to it for 2 or 3 or more years.... Shorter the lease, the more expensive. You are right though, long term a lease is probably cheaper. But there is also a fair bit of cash up front on a lease, security deposit in some cases, options to pay for, taxes yada yada yada.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2014 at 8:10 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But you will be married to it for 2 or 3 or more years.... Shorter the lease, the more expensive.
Yep. Price I quoted was a 3 year lease. We priced a Focus out too because that's the car I want (but didn't buy it; i'm not licensed yet)
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Kijiji, or beside the road with a sign on them. Obviously spending some money on a pre purchase inspection is wise if you are not confident in your mechanical abilities to spot a goodun.

We have sold a couple of vehicles for $1500-2000 that were safetied and etested and more then likely had a few good years left in them. In Ontario $1500 is about the bottom of the market for anything that can be re registered as drivable.

No one is saying there wont be expenses, or that all the electric doohdads will be fully functioning, but you will save on your insurance and car payments and make it from A to B
we've been fortunate over the long haul to come out clean every 30 - 40 months ownership in buying a clunker, maintenance, insurance, safety, on the road, 3rd party only insurance. At the end of it either scrap metal the old bugger or selling it. I fine tooth the expenses on a spreadsheet, that our total out of pocket all in costs is always less than $200/mth +gasoline.

Mind you its usually a 10 year old or more vehicle, insurance for me is around $60/mth, maintenance over 30 months is typically ~$1000.... brakes, used tires, bits & bobs

Its the less than $200/mth factor

Last edited by not2old; Nov 21st 2014 at 8:18 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by not2old

Sometimes that's nearly as good as "new car smell"
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes that's nearly as good as "new car smell"

dont understand that

If you're saying all up front price (no deposit or down payment) money, either a lease or purchase, tax included, all service costs, on the road + insurance & maintenance can be had for $200/mth, then I'm missing something.

Where or how can I get such a deal
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

dont understand that

If you're saying all up front price (no deposit or down payment) money, either a lease or purchase, tax included, all service costs, on the road + insurance & maintenance can be had for $200/mth, then I'm missing something.

Where or how can I get such a deal
I'm saying that nice as new car smell is, sometime living without it and paying only $200 a month is the better deal.

Heated seats though are a must have item

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2014 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

New car smell wears off after a month anyway. Just make sure the used one you buy doesn't have a cigarette smell in it. That's a bugger.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I'm saying that nice as new car smell is, sometime living without it and paying only $200 a month is the better deal.

right then, I understand it better now.

You know folks will tell you that they are buying (on the never never) or leasing a vehicle for $xxx/mth without telling you the rest of it - such as money down, admin/service fees, tax, the insurance cost, maintenance costs or any end of lease costs.

My OP was asking & looking for whether it can be done a different way for a an all-in cost for a lot less. Well, it looks like the way I'm doing it now isn't too shabby other than its always an old clunker with a 'cross your fingers in maintenance costs or breakdowns'.

I do like the leasebuster idea. Now if I can get one of those with insurance included for $200/mth, I'd be a happy camper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.