Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Renewing a Canadian passport ............

Renewing a Canadian passport ............

Old Oct 29th 2021, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing a Canadian passport ............

Has anyone done this recently?

I'm wondering how long it is really taking?
Old Oct 30th 2021, 1:37 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a Canadian passport ............

I know my ex-wife tried to renew my son's passport earlier in this year and they sent a letter back saying she needed to provide some additional information, gave her 30 days to do so, or they would cancel the application and you would not get refunded for the application. The paperwork got to her with that notice with not that much time remaining, so she sent things off as quickly as possible, but alas it didn't arrive in time so they cancelled the application. Very poor if you ask me, it's not as if they don't know there's a pandemic going on.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I know my ex-wife tried to renew my son's passport earlier in this year and they sent a letter back saying she needed to provide some additional information, gave her 30 days to do so, or they would cancel the application and you would not get refunded for the application. The paperwork got to her with that notice with not that much time remaining, so she sent things off as quickly as possible, but alas it didn't arrive in time so they cancelled the application. Very poor if you ask me, it's not as if they don't know there's a pandemic going on.
That is just stupid on the governments part, 30 days is barely enough time to receive their letter (presumably by mail) gather what they want and mail (presumably) back to them with a who knows how long wait to process at the receiving end.

Not to mention it can upwards of 2 weeks just to get lettermail depending where its sent and far it has to travel, lettermail from Toronto to me in BC is averaging 10-12 days.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I know the two options that should be used are .................

1. Going to the Passport Office, talk to a real person, hand over all the documents and old passport. Get them verified, pay, and leave. Get the new passport back by registered mail in around 2 weeks.

2. Send all the documents and everything by courier (eg UPS) to Gatineau, PQ, with tracking and signing requested. Never ever use ordinary mail!

For many years, we used Option 1, and the last couple of renewals have been really easy, as you don't have to get the photos signed and verified, or find referees who have certain occupations and know you. You just have the photos taken, stamped and dated by the photographer, and give the names of 2 people who MAY be contacted ............ anyone except a family member or relation. So any old friend will do

The last time I looked, the Passport Offices were either closed or by prior appointment, no just walking in the door.

Also the quoted time for renewals sent to Gatineau was longer than the normal 5-6 weeks.

Request for rapid issue was very expensive.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 5:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know trying to renew your Canadian passport while living in the US is a nightmare. Especially since you have to deal with Quebec. That is the only reason why hubby won't renew his Canadian passport and uses his US one instead.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 9:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I know trying to renew your Canadian passport while living in the US is a nightmare. Especially since you have to deal with Quebec. That is the only reason why hubby won't renew his Canadian passport and uses his US one instead.

Good luck.
As a dual national, he is required to enter Canada using a Canadian Passport if flying in - so he may want to reconsider if he is considering coming to Canada by air.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Dual Canadian citizens can no longer travel to or transit through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport. You need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you must travel with a valid Canadian passport when travelling by air.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't passports federal? Why would Quebec government be involved to get a passport?

Old Oct 31st 2021, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Aren't passports federal? Why would Quebec government be involved to get a passport?

Because a lot of the Federal departments have head offices in Quebec, or other provinces.

Gatineau is literally just across the river from Ottawa, walk across the bridge, and the National Museum of Man (now called the National Museum of Civilisation!) is within a short walk, and then now the Passport Office.

I think the Passport Office used to be in New Brunswick some years ago.

There are small Offices around the country, several in Vancouver and Richmond for example, that can receive and check your documents, photos etc, and take payment. Then they send the forms and photos in their daily "bag" to the Gatineau office. They're much faster than even courier. The local offices cannot do anything more than check documents and photos are correct and take cash or debit cards in payment.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Because a lot of the Federal departments have head offices in Quebec, or other provinces.
Gatineau is literally just across the river from Ottawa, walk across the bridge, and the National Museum of Man (now called the National Museum of Civilisation!) is within a short walk, and then now the Passport Office.
The passport office in Gatineau is in a large Federal building called Place de Portage and there are I think 4 phases/wings to it. Incredible place to see your hard earned tax money at work
Old Oct 31st 2021, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
The passport office in Gatineau is in a large Federal building called Place de Portage and there are I think 4 phases/wings to it. Incredible place to see your hard earned tax money at work

Not sure I'd really want to!!

I saw enough during 3 or 4 visits, starting in the 1970s
Old Oct 31st 2021, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

So, just how long is renewal taking at the moment, end-to-end? Even anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

Recent events have green-lighted an international trip for us, but the youngest offspring's passport expired in June.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I'd really want to!!

I saw enough during 3 or 4 visits, starting in the 1970s
Same level of surface I'm sure but now they can't smoke at their desks.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 3:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
So, just how long is renewal taking at the moment, end-to-end? Even anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

Recent events have green-lighted an international trip for us, but the youngest offspring's passport expired in June.
If you need expedited processing, tickets are booked and the trip is imminent - i.e. 2 weeks - see here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-passport.html

If you need a passport within 25 business days (5 weeks) you can book an appointment to go in (or go to a walk in): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...sport-resuming - I presume that should give an indication of how long 'normal' postal processing is taking.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 31st 2021 at 4:02 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2021, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you need expedited processing, tickets are booked and the trip is imminent - i.e. 2 weeks - see here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-passport.html

If you need a passport within 25 business days (5 weeks) you can book an appointment to go in (or go to a walk in): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...sport-resuming - I presume that should give an indication of how long 'normal' postal processing is taking.
Now, Siouxie, we all know that their quoted times do not always pan out in real life!!

That's why I was asking if anyone had recent experience.

For example, the site for Passport Offices reads appointments made online (NOT by phone), with walk-ins allowed "maybe", if there was space. Not exactly encouraging that one can go to the nearest Office and actually walk-in, as used to be the case.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:57 pm
Banned

Now, Siouxie, we all know that their quoted times do not always pan out in real life!!

That's why I was asking if anyone had recent experience.

For example, the site for Passport Offices reads appointments made online (NOT by phone), with walk-ins allowed "maybe", if there was space. Not exactly encouraging that one can go to the nearest Office and actually walk-in, as used to be the case.
I was responding to Abner's post, where they said they had an opportunity to travel internationally- and was offering options that may help them. I specifically said "appointments and walk ins" if travelling within 5 weeks with the link to the specific page so that they could check their nearest office, using the link provided within that official web page.. One presumes that if you are travelling within 5 weeks then 4.5 weeks is the time required to process the expedited application - and any other ones will be considerably longer..

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 1st 2021 at 3:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.