Relocation costs

Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:07 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation costs

I guess we are on the cheaper end - we should end up spending less than £20k. We currently rent* so have not had to buy white goods or pay the various taxes and fees associated with property transactions in BC. We also live in a place that is about the same size as our place in the UK so refurnishing costs were minimal and lots of our furniture is flat pack so we brought what we could fit in the load.

Breakdown (approximate - in local currency) of the stuff I remember:

final flights.....................................less than £1000
3 recce trips...................................less than £6000
shipping (part load).......................................£1000
household goods replacements....................$3000
one vehicle (beater)......................................$300 0
temporary accommodation (one month)......$2000

misc standard fees (skilled worker application, medicals, police certs etc - can't remember the details of costs and can't be bothered to look them up) and all the other stuff I've forgotten (eg first 3 months health insurance, one-way travel cover, credit reports).

Costs to come:
UK house sale (when it happens)....................£1500 (hah!) ?
capital gains tax..............................................( hah, hah, hah)
shipping of remainder of goods.......................£a few thousand?

We did some upgrades of stuff (car, TV) once we both had jobs but that was not really a cost of moving (or really necessary) as they were replacements for what we had bought when we first arrived and were being budget conscious. We also made a few quid through sales before moving which are not included in the above.

edit: * and have no expectations of buying in Vancouver
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I run all our household accounts on Microsoft Money - so I have just had a quick scan through what we have spent - and it all rather terrifying !!

Immigration Costs - £8,000 - this includes all fees, medicals, flights, car hires, bank fees (for drafts), equifax fees, 'proper' photograph fees and our leaving party !

Removal Costs - £4100 - 20 ft container

No estate agent fees as we sold privately

New cars x 2 - £14,000

New household furniture and electricals - [switching to dollars now] $21,000 - and that includes everything, from new washer and dryer, new lawn mower, huge new bed, two sofas, two new kids rooms, right down to a new hairdryer, and a rug I didn't need and some fab new ridiculously expensive bedding !! However, the basement is still empty and we still want (but don't need at the moment) some other furniture.

Other incidental costs are: $388 at Petland on an aquarium and fish and all the other unknown costs .... well, it's still cheaper than the dog I don't want

$2,200 on a new mountain bike - just because (he says)

$2,300 on new ski equipment for all of us - also not exactly essential - but hey, if you come here, you have to really, don't you? That all part of the set-up costs too!!

So just that lot - that I have quickly located (and am happy to cough to) comes to just under £80,000

Like I said -
Do you mean $80,000
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops - yes $80,000 - so about £40,000 - got my ££ and $$ mixed up (again, that won't be a first!) - thanks. I feel better now
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops - yes $80,000 - so about £40,000 - got my ££ and $$ mixed up (again, that won't be a first!) - thanks. I feel better now
I bet you do! £80,000 is a lot of money

Just out of interest, how are you going to spend the £40,000 you have just saved
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Just out of interest, how are you going to spend the £40,000 you have just saved
Blimey - now there's a thought! But do you know what - after all the above shopping, I don't think I can go again soon - so it would have to be something hot and foreign ( ) or something brought to my door ... (that also could be hot and foreign I guess) ...
Nothing so sensible as investment I suppose - I could add it to my pension pot as discussed on another thread ... mmm ... boring
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

It is scary when you add it all up as so much gets paid out in dribs and drabs. Having a look back over some spread sheets, the things that stuck out were:

In UK
Shipping incl. Insurance. £3000
Estate agent for UK sale. £2350
Solicitor for UK sale. £550
Cat - vets/rabies jabs/fit to fly letter/pet passport. £200
My flights. £800
Cat Flight. £120

In Canada
Car hire, first 3 wk's in Canada. £350
Lawyer for house buy £750.
Property tax on house buy. £1750
House survey. £190
Car purchase. £8500
Car Insurance (gulp). £1200
Driving test/licence. £100

Hope that helps give you an idea.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:00 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshDragonsWales
Hi

Just wondered if any of you would be willing to give a rough guide to your total relocation costs...

Ie if you paid for removals from uk to canada a rough estimate

also if you purchased everything you needed when you got there what rough cost was to refurbish yr home etc and just average family car etc...

I guess i am really asking what the average total relocation costs are. I know it will be different for everbody ( prob quite substantial in some cases ) but just wanted a rough guide.

many thanks

Mrs WDW
$35,000 relocation
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Blimey - now there's a thought! But do you know what - after all the above shopping, I don't think I can go again soon - so it would have to be something hot and foreign ( ) or something brought to my door ... (that also could be hot and foreign I guess) ...
Nothing so sensible as investment I suppose - I could add it to my pension pot as discussed on another thread ... mmm ... boring
The mind boggles

Make sure you let us know what you decide
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:34 am
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Rob4BC;5535397]
£4000 - 20 Foot container of household goods and car.

Hi, Car?????

I presume this means you have shipped your car? have you done that because you are in love with it or was it better option than buying there?? what are the implications of taking a car with you ie insurance, do they have MOT over there etc...

sorry if this is a very thick question

Cheers

Dawn
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:35 am
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

thanks for all your replies - they are opening my eyes up - VERY WIDE NOW AND COUNTING ON FINGERS LOL
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:12 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just wondered if any of you would be willing to give a rough guide to your total relocation costs...

Ie if you paid for removals from uk to canada a rough estimate

also if you purchased everything you needed when you got there what rough cost was to refurbish yr home etc and just average family car etc...

I guess i am really asking what the average total relocation costs are. I know it will be different for everbody ( prob quite substantial in some cases ) but just wanted a rough guide.

many thanks

Mrs WDW

Im looking at (CAD):
10,000 removals (20')
6,000 two runarounds
3,000 recce #1
3,000 recce #2
5,000 fees, medicals, immigration incidentals
5,000 new stereo, telly, computer
3,000 flights for all
2,000 new fridge, washer, drier
10,000 various additional furniture
Total = 47K CAD give or take

Crumbs, when you put it like that its a lot.

The cars and electronics have all been long due for an upgrade anyway. We have been planning this project for a while so we have patched and made do with oldish stuff. The exhaust has just gone on my '91 Mazda. Will I bodge it? Do moose cr4p in the woods?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:11 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
What were the customs fees for? Was your container chose for a random search

Thanks
Yes :curse:
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mmm. so was ours actually - so add another $700 for the pleasure. Forgot about that cost ....
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

£4000 - 20 Foot container of household goods and car.

Hi, Car?????

I presume this means you have shipped your car? have you done that because you are in love with it or was it better option than buying there?? what are the implications of taking a car with you ie insurance, do they have MOT over there etc...

sorry if this is a very thick question

Cheers

Dawn
Yes, I shipped the car! I'm mad I know - I love cars and have had sooo many and usually change my car every 6 - 12 months , but for some crazy reason I just can't bring myself to let go of this one.

It is a USA spec car sold new in Atlanta, Georgia in 1993 to an English couple.
I was in AAtlantato watch the Olympics in '96 and saw this car aacrossthe road from where I was staying and remembered how it was a model I had fancied when I was a teenager.
So years later I saw an ad on Autotrader in London - for a laugh I went to see the car and low and behold it was the same one shipped to England by the original owners!!! I bought it and can't let go.

It's a well travelled car having been manufactured in Germany, sold new in USA, shipped to UK, now shipped to Canada! Still, only driven 50 000 miles.
In time I will buy a local car and use this one for summer as I did in the UK - it will get way more use here. Last year in the UK I did 800 mile in it!!!

It's probably not really worth shipping cars as they have to conform to Canadian spec (most USA cars do), or they have to be older than 15 years - otherwise they are not allowed into Canada.

Last edited by Rob4BC; Nov 10th 2007 at 9:15 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

This is what all the fuss is about!
Attached Thumbnails Relocation costs-vw-cabriolet.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.