Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

religion, what think you

religion, what think you

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: religion, what think you

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
No, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between belief and skepticism. Believers think because their worldview is based on faith, that therefore the same applies to non-believers (i.e. people who call athiesm a 'belief system'). But the two forms of thinking are quite different. Yours is based on faith in something that can never be proved by science. For many non-believers, including myself, it's not about faith in no god, it's about relying on scientific evidence to help understand the way the world works. I don't have 'faith" in science - science can be bad or bought by corporate entities. I don't have 'faith' that there is no god. Rather, I have a skeptical world view where I remain open-minded until science answers the question with evidence one way or the other. right now there is very little evidence for a God or grand planner and a huge amount of evidence (evolution) etc that is against the idea. I choose to go with the scientific method over "faith" or "belief".

believers like to kid themselves that non-believers are just like them, but we're really not, and to think so shows a misunderstanding of the scientific method. We're thinking in a completely different way to you.
I worked in science until I had the kids and studied science and strongly believe in science and scientific prove of certain things but also that there is more to the story. A bit like "God made the big bang" I tell my kids about science and want them educated in every way and for me personally that includes faith too.

Being open minded would suggest though that you'd consider that there was a god. With you completely discharging this possibility you are very mind set on science and the prove we have thus far.

We are all different and that makes the world colourful, let's leave it at that.

Have a lovely weekend all!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 5:58 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There are plenty of other examples, what about internment in Northern Ireland which was plainly targeted against Catholics.
Was a good idea in the context of the time. Given the split allegiances to the Republic and Rome a reasonable proportion just couldn't be trusted. You still can't really...given their propensity to vote for terrorists and murderers as a general rule.

Last edited by orly; Nov 22nd 2013 at 6:01 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I worked in science until I had the kids and studied science and strongly believe in science and scientific prove of certain things but also that there is more to the story. A bit like "God made the big bang" I tell my kids about science and want them educated in every way and for me personally that includes faith too.

Being open minded would suggest though that you'd consider that there was a god. With you completely discharging this possibility you are very mind set on science and the prove we have thus far.

We are all different and that makes the world colourful, let's leave it at that.

Have a lovely weekend all!
Didn't anyone mention that it's all just conjecture and refutation?
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

We are all different and that makes the world colourful
A double entendre......

Why is it that we can't all get along then?

Last edited by ultrarunner; Nov 22nd 2013 at 6:37 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
A double entendre......

Why is that we can't all get along then?
Religion.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:40 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Religion.
More like Xenophobia....
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I am not religious, but I was given a grounding in basic Christianity. I got married in a church 20+ years ago. I'm not sure that I would now.

I do, however, believe in a few of those niggly fundamental principles:

I think it's great not to kill anyone.
I rather like that idea about not stealing stuff.
I definitely have no plans to covet my neighbour's ox, or his wife.
I think adultery is just a shame for all concerned - sort your shit out first.

And I generally think being kind and thoughtful is a good human trait, whichever religion wants to claim that one.

I think schools should give an overview of religions. Not to actually teach or preach religion, but to teach about the various religions. It affects millions of the world's population, so some understanding of how or why people tick is a good skill. My children have barely any knowledge about any kind of religion - which is fine in some ways, but is a woefully inadequate understanding of the world around them, and the history of how it came to be this way.

Last edited by ann m; Nov 22nd 2013 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I am not religious, but I was given a grounding in basic Christianity. I got married in a church 20+ years ago. I'm not sure that I would now.

I do, however, believe in a few of those niggly fundamental principles:

I think it's great not to kill anyone.
I rather that idea about not stealing stuff.
I definitely have no plans to covet my neighbour's ox, or his wife.
I think adultery is just a shame for all concerned - sort your shit out first.

And I generally think being kind and thoughtful is a good human trait, whichever religion wants to claim that one.

I think schools should give an overview of religions. Not to actually teach or preach religion, but to teach about the various religions. It affects millions of the world's population, so some understanding of how or why people tick is a good skill. My children have barely any knowledge about any kind of religion - which is fine in some ways, but is a woefully inadequate understanding of the world around them, and the history of how it came to be this way.

I believe the UK National Curriculum does teach kids about various religions. I agree that it's important for everyone to know about different belief systems, as it drives our cultures and forms our history.

The fundamental principles you list are not limited to any religion, they are part of human morality. One of religion's big deceptions is to claim ownership of morality and argue that there would be no morality without religion.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

The fundamental principles you list are not limited to any religion, they are part of human morality. One of religion's big deceptions is to claim ownership of morality
Yes - I agree - they all claim ownership of those ideas.

Having said that, if no-one had mentioned to me in my formative years that killing people is not a nice past-time, and I had grown up in a moral vacuum - would I have killed someone by now? I don't think not killing is an human instinct - so conversations have happend for thousands of years based on this principle. Religious or not....
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

there is some scientific evidence that a sense of justice is built into our brains.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...d=baby-justice

oh dear, more bad news for religion
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
How come they know when Jesus was born but are a bit sketchy when he was crucified and came back to life? You'd of think they'd of made a note of it?
They don't. There's no reference to any kind of date of Jesus' birth in the Bible, let alone specifically December 25th. If anything, you can speculate that because of the shepherds that visited the stable were out in the fields tending their sheep before his birth, it was more likely to be fall than winter. Sheep would be kept under shelter in wintertime rather than let out.

It's said that Christians trying to convert Pagans to their faith were facing resistance because they still wanted to celebrate the winter solstice. So they gave them a different thing to celebrate to compromise the situation, despite the fact that there's no religious basis for it. But getting the most converts is clearly more important than telling the truth.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
They don't. There's no reference to any kind of date of Jesus' birth in the Bible, let alone specifically December 25th. If anything, you can speculate that because of the shepherds that visited the stable were out in the fields tending their sheep before his birth, it was more likely to be fall than winter. Sheep would be kept under shelter in wintertime rather than let out.

It's said that Christians trying to convert Pagans to their faith were facing resistance because they still wanted to celebrate the winter solstice. So they gave them a different thing to celebrate to compromise the situation, despite the fact that there's no religious basis for it. But getting the most converts is clearly more important than telling the truth.
I don't think it's by any means certain that Jesus Christ even was a historical figure.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:13 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't think it's by any means certain that Jesus Christ even was a historical figure.
My understanding is that he did exist, and was an important spiritual leader and political activist at the time, but it's the subsequent few hundred years when the Bible was put together than he gained his god-like status. (No irony intended.)
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:18 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that he did exist, and was an important spiritual leader and political activist at the time, but it's the subsequent few hundred years when the Bible was put together than he gained his god-like status. (No irony intended.)
the PBS did an awesome doc on the historical (as opposed to Biblical) Jesus. It was a real eye-opener for me.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There are enough independent historial sources to be reasonably confident that Jesus did exist, and was likely born in 3 B.C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.