Religion

Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Religion

Fundamentlism is the problem - not religion or science!

A fundamentalist politician, soldier, priest or scientist is the most dangerous beast on earth.

Fundamentalism is the belief that I am right, and if you believe in these fundamentals you will be right too.

Orthadoxy is consistency in thought which chalenges my own behabviour in all aspects of my life.

Thomas Aquinas wrote that God wrote in two books - scripture and nature, and that truth is to be found in both. Scripture writes about the relationship of a people with it's God. Nature is the environment in which this relationship exists. Truth is to be found in both - though it is not the same truth. However all that is true and beautiful points to the same origin. God.

Religion and science are two sides of the same coin - that coin is man's search for meaning.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:29 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Religion and science are two sides of the same coin - that coin is man's search for meaning.
I see both as a search for something

But Science isn't a search for meaning , just a search for knowledge for its own sake

Religion I think does search for meaning and may be its reason de etre

but 'meaning' has no relevance in science
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Just go to school or read The Bible- New Testament. You will see how many gospel teachings are used on a day to day basis.
Sorry, but that is exactly the reason why I'm asking. I did read it and found only threats to those that won't follow and many other frightening things. I really believe now that overwhelming majority or believers have never read it thinking. For example, I can't draw any parallels between Jesus refusing to help those who don't believe and contemporary healthcare with moral principles of todays' doctors. Faith is always absolute and the religion discourages questioning, reasoning and having doubt - the very base of the whole science and therefore our whole life (many of us would never be born or survive past childhood without science). Democracy, based on faith? Sorry, I need some quotations.

BTW, I approved my kids being baptized and admitted to a catholic school, though I don't fancy the latter. Just being democratic to my wife.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Sorry, but that is exactly the reason why I'm asking. I did read it and found only threats to those that won't follow and many other frightening things. I really believe now that overwhelming majority or believers have never read it thinking. For example, I can't draw any parallels between Jesus refusing to help those who don't believe and contemporary healthcare with moral principles of todays' doctors. Faith is always absolute and the religion discourages questioning, reasoning and having doubt - the very base of the whole science and therefore our whole life (many of us would never be born or survive past childhood without science). Democracy, based on faith? Sorry, I need some quotations.

BTW, I approved my kids being baptized and admitted to a catholic school, though I don't fancy the latter. Just being democratic to my wife.
I would like to know where Jesus refuses to help anyone in the New Testament? I would also like to know where those who don't see him as the "messiah" are threatened by him? I have not read about any of that in either Mathew, Mark, Luke of John?

I am not deeply religious myself but I have been schooled and understand that everything in life involves faith and not just religion. When I break in my car I have faith the car will stop. The fact of the matter is I have faith in the teachings of Jesus in the new testament as good values to live life by. This personal faith has actually increased overtime because the values in the new testament have stood the test of time. Unfortunately for science, not all science, it is largely manipulated now by economics. Economics now dictates more in the world than Science and Religion.

Democracy is definately based on faith. Faith in freedom and faith in the right to choose representation in government. Democracy and more the legal system that upholds this has developed over the centuries starting with the building blocks being based on the teachings of christianity such as love thy neighbour.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 21st 2009 at 2:06 am.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited

Actually I think Jesus threatened those who believed yet who were hypocrites.

Quotes coming up.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:48 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - that's an interesting conundrum!

The church was asking Copernicus to "prove" that the earth was not the center of the universe! Precisely what non-believers are asking believers to do!

One has to break down the difference between fundamentalism and orthodoxy also. Thinking goes wrong when it resorts to fundamentalism.

There's a difference between right thinking and thinking I'm right.

When thinking becomes institutionalised there is a danger of "thinking I'm right." The church is always at it's best when counter cultural, rather than monolithic. Where a non-catholic can point to the institutional monolith of the Church in the middle ages, I can think of the thinkers who challenged that monolith from within and so helped change the world.

The roots of the inquisition is not so different from today: monolithic catholicism 'defending' europe from the inroads of monolithic mohammedism, versus 'monolithic' 'western - read American - democracy (read capitalism)defending the world from encroaching Islam. Abu Gharib could be the new Inquisition!

Instead of point at the past, we can use lessons of our human weakness in the past to point out current day wrongs, and place them in context.
This is a somewhat dangerous argument. I think you confuse Catholicism with Christianity - and conveniently ignore a couple of centuries of European history through the Reformation and the birth of Protestantism. Specifically, I take issue with your reference to "thinkers who challenged that monolith from within" - for the most part, those who challenged Catholic orthodoxy were persecuted, excommunicated, and in some instances imprisoned and tortured. Others left the mainstream Catholic church expressly because they felt unable to challenge the orthodoxy from within. Those who changed the world (Wycliffe, Kepler, Galileo, Luther) and incurred the wrath of the Papacy outnumber those who tried to stay on the right side of canon law (Erasmus springs to mind; I'm sure there are others).

I'm not sure anyone could take issue with the role the Church played in the defence of Europe against the spread of Islam in the middle ages; however, it is a fallacy to presume that this somehow kept the embers of intellectualism alive in Europe. If it weren't for that very same Islamic tradition encouraging philosophical and scientific discovery, keeping the flame of Greek knowledge burning, Europe would have remained in a dark age of ignorance for much longer than it did. It was only because enlightened Christian thinkers in Spain chose (against the wishes of the Church) to engage intellectually wiht Moorish scholars that any of the ancient texts were translated from Arabic to Latin and thus came to currency in European thought.

A radical, though logical, conclusion to that argument is that the Enlightenment would likely have been brought forward by centuries if Europe had been overrun by Islam and the Christian church had collapsed. Christianity has no monopoly on knowledge and intellectual discovery: in fact, it is easier to argue exactly the opposite.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:33 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to school or read The Bible- New Testament. You will see how many gospel teachings are used on a day to day basis.
hmmm not so sure about this one, i think just about every western, 'christian' government have coveted their neighbors wife, bourne false witness, killed, stole and who keeps the sabbath sacred?. i suppose it could be taught but just widely ignored though?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
hmmm not so sure about this one, i think just about every western, 'christian' government have coveted their neighbors wife, bourne false witness, killed, stole and who keeps the sabbath sacred?. i suppose it could be taught but just widely ignored though?
Ah, the old "Do as I say, not as I do" school of teaching.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:52 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Ah, the old "Do as I say, not as I do" school of teaching.
one in particular i cannot stand. i can't help thinking if the vatican melted down a bit of gold and spread their wealth around they may actually help to solve some problems, instead of the tried and trusted, 'say your prayers'.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
one in particular i cannot stand. i can't help thinking if the vatican melted down a bit of gold and spread their wealth around they may actually help to solve some problems, instead of the tried and trusted, 'say your prayers'.

All the museums and governments in the world could sell their gold and art and do the same. The result would be a few powerful billionaires own all the art, and the money wouldn't go very far.

Not just the Catholics, but all churches raise billions for charity and many in their respective churches spend billions of hours doing "charitable" work for little or no money.

No one just says "say your prayers."
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
This is a somewhat dangerous argument. I think you confuse Catholicism with Christianity - and conveniently ignore a couple of centuries of European history through the Reformation and the birth of Protestantism. Specifically, I take issue with your reference to "thinkers who challenged that monolith from within" - for the most part, those who challenged Catholic orthodoxy were persecuted, excommunicated, and in some instances imprisoned and tortured. Others left the mainstream Catholic church expressly because they felt unable to challenge the orthodoxy from within. Those who changed the world (Wycliffe, Kepler, Galileo, Luther) and incurred the wrath of the Papacy outnumber those who tried to stay on the right side of canon law (Erasmus springs to mind; I'm sure there are others).

I'm not sure anyone could take issue with the role the Church played in the defence of Europe against the spread of Islam in the middle ages; however, it is a fallacy to presume that this somehow kept the embers of intellectualism alive in Europe. If it weren't for that very same Islamic tradition encouraging philosophical and scientific discovery, keeping the flame of Greek knowledge burning, Europe would have remained in a dark age of ignorance for much longer than it did. It was only because enlightened Christian thinkers in Spain chose (against the wishes of the Church) to engage intellectually wiht Moorish scholars that any of the ancient texts were translated from Arabic to Latin and thus came to currency in European thought.

A radical, though logical, conclusion to that argument is that the Enlightenment would likely have been brought forward by centuries if Europe had been overrun by Islam and the Christian church had collapsed. Christianity has no monopoly on knowledge and intellectual discovery: in fact, it is easier to argue exactly the opposite.
Good post - and I agree, but...

I don't think the moslem states could have taken Greek thought much further.

It needed the European Universities, the renaissance and the reformation to take things further.

It precisely needed England to develop western thought

Oxford, Cambridge and the renaissance and the reformation at the same time.

Italy had the renaissance, but no reformation and so made ever prettier baubles. Germany/northern Europe had the Reformation first and became dour.

BTW Erasmus was Catholic.
But I also find those who quit, left or who were excommunicated as worthy of my praise/thanks too Luther had been a good monk, and good monk is what he wanted to remain, even if he had to leave to do it!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
its in the subtle difference of the message

Science : We think we're right based on our current evidence

Religion: We know we're right you just have to have faith in us
I'd go further.

Science: We're think we're right based on our current evidence. But we expect and hope that new, interesting, evidence might well come along, in which case we need to face the welcome challenge of formulating and testing a new hypothesis to explain all the evidence in as simple a way as possible.

Religion: (This is not true of all religions, but certainly of most); We're know we're right because we have faith in God/Allah/That Tree Over There/fill in your local deity of choice. Anything that comes along to contradict us being right shall be ignored/ridiculed/cast aside for as long as possible, and if absolutely necessary eventually embraced as a further demonstration that God etc. moves in mysterious ways.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

I would like to know where Jesus refuses to help anyone in the New Testament? I would also like to know where those who don't see him as the "messiah" are threatened by him? I have not read about any of that in either Mathew, Mark, Luke of John?
Democracy and more the legal system that upholds this has developed over the centuries starting with the building blocks being based on the teachings of christianity such as love thy neighbour.
Those may be not really threats as can be understood in todays world, but Matthew 10:11 to 15 doesn't especially look friendly to me. 10:34 through 10:38 is equally good (go read this to your loved ones), though offtopic in the context of this discussion.

I remember also I was very impressed by Matthew 21:17 to 19 (the story is repeated in other Gospels, of course, like in Mark 11:13). Why be so angry? I could not get it.

The beginning of Mark chapter 6 tells how he could not do the mighty work. Only to few people. Well, it was not his choice may be - they were not true believers over there. Matthew 19:16 can't directly classify for that, but it's going in the same direction of "no faith - you get nothing". Important is also, no right faith. He didn't really fancy those belonging somewhere else.

Which comes to the statement of "love thy neighbour". Jesus came as a king of Jews. The love was only about that restricted to his folks, and if they were faithful, and not a general one. Not the same of course as some of today's extreme nationalism, but I won't make that commandment so precious, and it would be definitely negated by so often repeated ignoring of family members in the name of the true faith (see above).

Last edited by Settlers_Unlimited; Feb 21st 2009 at 6:08 am. Reason: one word typo
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
You are thinking? I believe in this!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:15 am
rae
Settled.

All the museums and governments in the world could sell their gold and art and do the same. The result would be a few powerful billionaires own all the art, and the money wouldn't go very far.

Not just the Catholics, but all churches raise billions for charity and many in their respective churches spend billions of hours doing "charitable" work for little or no money.

No one just says "say your prayers."
i do not think anyone would deny that all religions contribute enormously to poverty, charity and the like. I do not see though the connection with museums owning historically important pieces of art, and churches having bloody huge gold candles everywhere. why can they not have wooden ones keeping in touch with their carpentry beginnings.
this is a very simplistic point i accept, given some of the stuff on here, most of which i have never heard of. it annoys me though.

more importantly, man utd 2 blackburn 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.