Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea

Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea

Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea

Saw this is Walmart for just over $4 and thought I'd give it a try:

I normally hate Red Rose's Orange Pekoe tea, but I wanted to see whether this was any better, and I also think it's cool to try a product that promotes the Canadian identity a bit :P

Pretty decent tea, reminds me of PG Tips, a lot nicer than regular Red Rose for sure. Also it's made by Unilever.

As you may know, Unilever is actually the same company that makes PG Tips, although this one is apparently blended in Canada. So yeah, thought it may interest fellow tea connoisseurs on here :P
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea

I get this tea. Its Harris tea and its a very good English style tea and I get it for $5.00 for 120 bags. You might have to look in an Indian grocery shop for it.

Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all

I'm a self-confessed tea snob so it's great that you are posting these - with pictures! Thanks. I like strong tea so often chose Kenyan as it gives a lovely coppery colour.

I also like tea leaves....a bit posh but very nice when you can be bothered to go to the effort!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:40 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Tetley Bold is pretty good too (sorry no pretty pic, can't be bothered)
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

I use the regular Tetley but I saw the bold in the supermarket. I was going to try it but I think it is just the regular Tetley with extra caffeine. Is it stronger, also?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Niobii
I'm a self-confessed tea snob so it's great that you are posting these - with pictures! Thanks. I like strong tea so often chose Kenyan as it gives a lovely coppery colour.

I also like tea leaves....a bit posh but very nice when you can be bothered to go to the effort!
Just wait till you try the steeped tea at Tim Hortons
Depending where you settle you might well in the future be complaining about the lack of access to teas and the cost of said teas much like we do with cheese or any other food item that ex pats miss out on.
I suggest you grab a few cases of your favourite brew and bring them with you. Im pretty sure it will be duty free and quite possibly not subject to GST, PST or HST (I cant be arsed to look ).
Dont bother with the cheese it might go off and you are only allowed a $20 limit before the Govt whacks you with astronomical duty rates as much as 300%.
This link will explain the GST questions you may have
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...tdgds-eng.html

Plus dont believe the adverts for Red Rose tea either Im sure the Royal Family in the UK dont drink that shite as they seem to indicate in the ads they play over here. Plus dont drink the tea in restaurants over here as they usually dont boil the water and they give you some second rate tea bag which makes the experience not a pleasant one.
PS Im no tea snob just personal experience talking.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jan 16th 2012 at 4:47 am. Reason: More info
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:00 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
I use the regular Tetley but I saw the bold in the supermarket. I was going to try it but I think it is just the regular Tetley with extra caffeine. Is it stronger, also?
In the first couple of years I brought over PG, paid extortionate costs to source it locally etc. Then I just got on with life and drinking Tetley Orange Pekoe as available in every grocery store. One adapts, one adapts...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:39 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bgroe
It tastes like "normal" proper British tea, I don't care what's in it it just tastes great
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In the first couple of years I brought over PG, paid extortionate costs to source it locally etc. Then I just got on with life and drinking Tetley Orange Pekoe as available in every grocery store. One adapts, one adapts...
PG is Orange Pekoe too!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

redleaf is an unknown quantity at this point

I love "Rwanda Mountain Tea". They have tea bags and loose tea.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I just get a honking great box of tea bags from Costco, tastes like tea and cannot be arsed to bugger around trying to find anything else. The OH used to give me a huge list for Tescos when I was working and in the UK. I was in there every three weeks or so as a rule, bringing back box upon box of groceries, I hate shopping and pretty soon got fed up with that. In the end we just had whatever we could get in Costco here.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:35 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I like Red Rose too, but prefer loose tea to teabags. My local SaveOnFoods is selling loose tea called Bee Brand. It's labelled "flowery Pekoe", but tastes the same as Orange Pekoe to me. I forget how much I paid for it now, but it was one of the cheaper teas you can buy here.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

redleaf is an unknown quantity at this point

I love "Rwanda Mountain Tea". They have tea bags and loose tea. All taste good. They are very high antioxidant tea, really good for health. High quility, Price is good too.
Attached Thumbnails Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea-tea-bags.jpg   Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea-loose-tea.jpg  

Last edited by redleaf; Feb 6th 2012 at 11:33 am.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:33 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I like Red Rose too, but prefer loose tea to teabags. My local SaveOnFoods is selling loose tea called Bee Brand. It's labelled "flowery Pekoe", but tastes the same as Orange Pekoe to me. I forget how much I paid for it now, but it was one of the cheaper teas you can buy here.
What is it with people and their Pekoe obsession? Its a grading system not a flavour !
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
What is it with people and their Pekoe obsession? Its a grading system not a flavour !
Isn't Wikipedia wonderful?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.