Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To recline or not to recline

To recline or not to recline

Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute
Default To recline or not to recline

My family and I, (wife and two kids), recently got back from a visit to see family in the UK. We have not been back for about seven years so was good to see everyone. Sort of made me wonder why we left in the first place, but then two weeks vacation in the UK is a bit different to living there again.

Anyhow, on the flight back, the two guys sat in front of my wife and I reclined their seats, and they seemed to be the only ones around us doing so. Personally I don't recline as, the seats don't recline that much anyway and I think it adds more discomfort to the person behind than it benefits me. When my youngest asked to how to recline his seat I suggested he didn't as it wasn't fair to the lady behind him which he agreed. Incidentally, most people around us were British, the two recliners were Canadian, which I found interesting. Although I am not suggesting their country of origin reflects on their consideration of others, but I found it interesting.

So what's the general opinion on reclining? Okay, or not Okay?
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To recline or not to recline

Yes for sleeping, otherwise not.

One imagines not an issue in Business or whatever.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes for sleeping, otherwise not.

One imagines not an issue in Business or whatever.
They were watching a movie, if only it was business class, but those tickets are outrageous.

I remember flying as a kid with my parents, always seemed so much fun, now it's more of a 'how am I going to get through the next seven hours'. A few bottles of red wine helped!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 5:55 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
... One imagines not an issue in Business or whatever.
Definitely NOT an issue in Business.

1996, I had snapped my Achilles playing badminton and was in plaster foot to knee. I had gotten bored hobbling into the office, so rigged a business trip to the US - Long Island - for a week. Flew Club with Swissair as they then were, and there were tons of empty seats, so the cabin crew got me nicely settled.

On the return journey, Club was full! Rats. The cabin crew said "we'll get dinner over, then sort something for you".

They put up a hammock in the galley, and plied me with enough brandy to sink a battleship.

Waking up the next morning, the crew were literally creeping around me very quietly whilst preparing breakfast. I apologised for being in their way and got back "It's no problem at all. Would you like breakfast in bed?"
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Definitely NOT an issue in Business.

1996, I had snapped my Achilles playing badminton and was in plaster foot to knee. I had gotten bored hobbling into the office, so rigged a business trip to the US - Long Island - for a week. Flew Club with Swissair as they then were, and there were tons of empty seats, so the cabin crew got me nicely settled.

On the return journey, Club was full! Rats. The cabin crew said "we'll get dinner over, then sort something for you".

They put up a hammock in the galley, and plied me with enough brandy to sink a battleship.

Waking up the next morning, the crew were literally creeping around me very quietly whilst preparing breakfast. I apologised for being in their way and got back "It's no problem at all. Would you like breakfast in bed?"
Can't complain at that service!! I felt a bit like when you see cattle trucks on the highway transporting cattle to market!! Its not too bad when there is a pool and all inclusive hotel on the other end, but when its your parents with a blow up bed in the dining room, its not quite the same!
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:10 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the original question...

No, I don't recline, I find it doesn't help me that much, and is likely to cause more grief to the folk behind me.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
... a blow up bed...
Other than crossing the North Sea, feeling seasick inside but cold on deck, trying to sleep standing up in a corner to shelter from the wind, my most uncomfortable night ever was on one of those inflatable mattresses.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes recline, sometimes half-recline, sometimes not at all. It depends on how comfortable I am and what I think of the person behind me. If the person in front does a full recline, I quite enjoy the fact that I can see the video screen without having to stretch (or wear glasses).
Old Aug 6th 2018, 6:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a frequent flier, sadly in economy rather than at the front end. I do recline but do it thoughtfully. (or try to). In other words, I don't recline during the meal service or, if I see the person behind me trying to use a laptop say. I will recline on an overnight flight (such as from St John's to London) but frankly everyone else is doing the same things so its OK.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I, (wife and two kids), recently got back from a visit to see family in the UK. We have not been back for about seven years so was good to see everyone. Sort of made me wonder why we left in the first place, but then two weeks vacation in the UK is a bit different to living there again.

Anyhow, on the flight back, the two guys sat in front of my wife and I reclined their seats, and they seemed to be the only ones around us doing so. Personally I don't recline as, the seats don't recline that much anyway and I think it adds more discomfort to the person behind than it benefits me. When my youngest asked to how to recline his seat I suggested he didn't as it wasn't fair to the lady behind him which he agreed. Incidentally, most people around us were British, the two recliners were Canadian, which I found interesting. Although I am not suggesting their country of origin reflects on their consideration of others, but I found it interesting.

So what's the general opinion on reclining? Okay, or not Okay?
if you’re not suggesting the recliners’country of origin reflects on their consideration of others, then why mention them being Canadian at all. In my earlier years I did a great deal of travelling/flying and encountered all manner of people, some of them Brits, and some of whom were loud, drunk and totally inconsiderate of others. When travelling one needs to adopt a live and let live attitude. Did you think perhaps of politely asking them if they would mind not reclining so far as it was making you and your wife uncomfortable?
Don’t go through life sweating the small stuff, lest you end up a neurotic.

Old Aug 6th 2018, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

if you’re not suggesting the recliners’country of origin reflects on their consideration of others, then why mention them being Canadian at all. In my earlier years I did a great deal of travelling/flying and encountered all manner of people, some of them Brits, and some of whom were loud, drunk and totally inconsiderate of others. When travelling one needs to adopt a live and let live attitude. Did you think perhaps of politely asking them if they would mind not reclining so far as it was making you and your wife uncomfortable?
Don’t go through life sweating the small stuff, lest you end up a neurotic.

So you basically just replied to that to be condescending?

It was just an irreverent post, this is the Maple Leaf right? Don't take things so seriously.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 10:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So you basically just replied to that to be condescending?

It was just an irreverent post, this is the Maple Leaf right? Don't take things so seriously.
It's a valid point though. Why mention their nationality if it's not relevant?

As for reclining, I pay for a recliner on a flight. If it makes me comfortable I recline. Obviously not during meal service, but otherwise yes. BTW I'm Canadian - not that it's relevant.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's a valid point though. Why mention their nationality if it's not relevant?

As for reclining, I pay for a recliner on a flight. If it makes me comfortable I recline. Obviously not during meal service, but otherwise yes. BTW I'm Canadian - not that it's relevant.
Well I also pay for a recliner and I don't recline. Guess we are all different.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 10:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I also pay for a recliner and I don't recline. Guess we are all different.
For sleeping (which I always try to do on a long haul flight) recline is the only way to go.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 11:02 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
... In my earlier years I did a great deal of travelling/flying and encountered all manner of people, some of them Brits, and some of whom were loud, drunk and totally inconsiderate of others....
Ah, that will have been the Brits then.

Not sure that I could do long haul in economy any more these days...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.