Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

a recent Pearson experience

a recent Pearson experience

Old Aug 29th 2023, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a recent Pearson experience

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Fred drifting....

Halifax is an annoyance when connecting from an international flight from the UK to domestic. They do have the setup for transit pax to go through a seperate immigration area/kiosks and thence straight into airside departures. I've used it, once. But it seems to be always closed off now, forcing you to clear immigration, pick up your bags (if you have them) and then dump them back on to a transit belt. Then you have to deal with legendary enormous queue for security to get back airside. It's a study in inefficiency.

I know the COO at YHZ, she used to be the marketing VP at St John's. I should get around to asking her why this is the case but I suspect the answer will be "CBSA".
A befuddling factor when switching to a domestic flight at Halifax is that, if you have duty free that you carried on to the flight from the UK, you can't take it on the domestic flight and so have to chug it in the terminal.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Almost not worth mentioning in relation to all the other (legitimate) complaints about Pearson, but...

It does seem that they have a special algorithm to route *all* landings (and return taxiways), domestic or international, to absolutely the farthest possible spot from the arrival gate, to maximise the time between touchdown and gate arrival -- and that's when everything goes as expected!

I have experienced worse at some other airports (DFW stands out). But DFW sometimes surprises you on the upside, and YYZ never does.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 2:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A befuddling factor when switching to a domestic flight at Halifax is that, if you have duty free that you carried on to the flight from the UK, you can't take it on the domestic flight and so have to chug it in the terminal.
If you have checked luggage you can, of course, put it into your checked bag(s) before they go back onto the transfer belt (After CBSA). If you only have hand luggage it is a PITA I agree. Presumably, if the airside-airside transfer was used, you'd be able to take the booze with you.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have checked luggage you can, of course, put it into your checked bag(s) before they go back onto the transfer belt (After CBSA). If you only have hand luggage it is a PITA I agree. Presumably, if the airside-airside transfer was used, you'd be able to take the booze with you.

I think the key lesson is that one should travel to Canada with Australian wines.
Old Aug 31st 2023, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

I think the key lesson is that one should travel to Canada with Australian wines.
But, but, but... ice wine! Silver medals in some unrecognisable wine tasting competition or another, blind taste testing... [I was raised in Niagara, I have been indoctrinated since the days of Brights Wines]
Old Aug 31st 2023, 3:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Easier to chug than a bottle of whisky, I'd agree...
Old Aug 31st 2023, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Easier to chug than a bottle of whisky, I'd agree...
Critically, Australian wines have screw caps.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I am I said
O It did take us only just under two hours to get groundside from stepping off the plane [which itself was delayed by an apparently ad hoc checking of passports at the airbridge exit, thereby holding up everyone on the plane]. This relative speediness was only because we were standing in the right random spot when a new exit was carved out of the swarm of people swamping those border control machines and the queue to have the machine printout checked [it was a single swarm, but multi purpose]. I don't think I have ever been to such a disorganised airport. And the staff... clearly not happy to be there.
I flew into Pearson on 27th and i also experienced the ad-hoc checking of passports at the airbridge, but over all everything went smoothly. Probably took 1hr from stepping off the plane to boarding the UP express train
Old Sep 6th 2023, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Nexus...Nexus....Nexus....

I can't say this enough.

Well worth the money and time investment.

I fully agree and the new Nexus machines at Pearson are a godsend. Place your Nexus card on the glass, take photo, then take your receipt to give to the customs guy on the way out.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I fully agree and the new Nexus machines at Pearson are a godsend. Place your Nexus card on the glass, take photo, then take your receipt to give to the customs guy on the way out.
I looked it up, but Nexus is only for flights between Canada and the US?
Old Sep 6th 2023, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It’s for exit or entry into any Canadian or US airport. It makes no difference where you are flying to or from. If you are at a Canadian or US airport you use Nexus.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 5:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I love it. The line to see US customs is massive.

You just shoot on the side. Tape your card. Quick retina scan and then the machine says "Welcome to the United States".

At least a whole beer in the bar before the sap with out Nexus gets through.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 7:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Mission Impossible
...Quick retina scan...
You sound like a secret agent.

You're not Ethan Hunt by any chance?
Old Sep 7th 2023, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew out of Pearson about 10 days ago, to LHR, and there was a huge line for security - so naturally I went on line to book a slot on YYZ Express. But that said you can’t apply if you have a NEXUS card - I showed that instead at the Express line and went straight through.
Old Sep 7th 2023, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Under 'who is eligible' for Nexus on the site, it says:
>> U.S. and Canadian citizens and permanent residents may apply for a NEXUS membership.
All good here.

But the website introduces residency as a requirement under 'What you need before you start'
>> Proof of residency

Sorry for the amateur google-fu, but is Nexus only for those who live in the US and Canada?

Edit - speaking of security queues, yesterday my son found LHR T5 security queued around the building with lots of Border Force personnel around, and even passport checks to get onto the plane. So now we know what happens when the authorities misplace someone suspected of terrorist offences.

Last edited by I am I said; Sep 7th 2023 at 10:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.