Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Reccie, Recce, Reckie, Becky, Schlecky

Reccie, Recce, Reckie, Becky, Schlecky

Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reccie, Recce, Reckie, Becky, Schlecky

I've seen all sorts of spelling on BE (BritishExpats) as a shortening of the word 'Reconnaissance', which means, it says here "reconnoitring or searching an area, especially to gain information about an enemy or potential enemy".
This is the type of thing that the British do in BC in order to settle in Ontario.

I personally use reccie, but apparently it's artistically, intrinsically and all the other ally's incorrect. It should be, according to one's dictionary, Recce.
Reccy or Recco can also be used in moments of abject lunacy.

As we, as possible immigrants to a country where we'll be mingling, going to the movies, dining, sharing bodily fluids etc. with the populace, should we not use the word 'search(ing)? "Doing a search of the Northern Territories" would be more in keeping with the actual 'meaning' don't you think? Using the word 'Recce' could be construed as spoiling for a fight and wanting to show our aggressiveness to the natives.

Thank you.

Last edited by steve666; Apr 16th 2007 at 9:41 am. Reason: forgot what I was writing about.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:26 am
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reccie, Recce, Reckie, Becky, Schlecky

Hun, I think you have way too much time on your hands!!
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:25 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by steve666 : Today at 9:18 am. Reason: forgot what I was writing about.

Looks like you confused all of us and yourself
Charlie
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire bob and matt
Hun, I think you have way too much time on your hands!!
I do between 08.30 and 09.30 before I begin work, a cup of coffee and a meandering script writing exercise clears the head.
I have another one later today over lunch which involves the words 'Carp and Crap'. People who live in or near Ottawa will be aware of what I'm going on about...
I know, I know it's 10.30, just on here to look up some info on our pension plan. Or lack of.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by purple80
Last edited by steve666 : Today at 9:18 am. Reason: forgot what I was writing about.

Looks like you confused all of us and yourself
Charlie
Hello purps. I confuse myself just by thinking, which is why I do very little of it.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
I've seen all sorts of spelling on BE (BritishExpats) as a shortening of the word 'Reconnaissance', which means, it says here "reconnoitring or searching an area, especially to gain information about an enemy or potential enemy".
This is the type of thing that the British do in BC in order to settle in Ontario.

I personally use reccie, but apparently it's artistically, intrinsically and all the other ally's incorrect. It should be, according to one's dictionary, Recce.

As we, as possible immigrants to a country where we'll be mingling, going to the movies, dining, sharing bodily fluids with etc. the populace, should we not use the word 'search(ing)? "Doing a search of the Northern Territories" would be more inkeeping with the actual 'meaning' don't you think? Using the word 'Recce' could be construed as spoiling for a fight and wanting to show our aggressiveness to the natives.

Thank you.

Don't know what's in your head today Steve, but maybe the pub??
Isn't that where innkeepers live?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
Ha! Spotted the mistake, I can't write AND spell proper at that time of the morning. Or at any other time actually.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
Hmmm, buy a pub...
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm, buy a pub...
Cough, excuse me.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

As we, as possible immigrants to a country where we'll be mingling, going to the movies, dining, sharing bodily fluids etc. with the populace, should we not use the word 'search(ing)? "Doing a search of the Northern Territories" would be more in keeping with the actual 'meaning' don't you think? Using the word 'Recce' could be construed as spoiling for a fight and wanting to show our aggressiveness to the natives.

Thank you.

Pedant

Penny
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Pedant

Penny
You forgot the full stop after the word.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot the full stop after the word.
I rest my case....