Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Movers Canada to UK

Originally Posted by jandro
Where I live a low level apartment building was being built with what looked like the flimsiest chipboard I've ever seen. Of course this chipboard frame was covered with finishings to make it look nice but I can't imagine the building lasting a long time. I see this use of chipboard frame used in most housing construction around here.
I've seen those too, can't imagine just how "paper thin" the walls must be.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Originally Posted by Shard
In general I agree.

Poll tax, perhaps?
I honestly, couldn't see anything wrong with the poll tax. If you are alive, you will likely need services that need to be paid for and everyone should pay for them. I fully appreciate that that doesn't fly these days and that the wealthy must pay more for services than the less wealthy. However, basing it upon the value of a house seems rather nonsense to me as I fail to see how, having a more expensive house, means one will use more services that someone with a less expensive house.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I honestly, couldn't see anything wrong with the poll tax. If you are alive, you will likely need services that need to be paid for and everyone should pay for them. I fully appreciate that that doesn't fly these days and that the wealthy must pay more for services than the less wealthy. However, basing it upon the value of a house seems rather nonsense to me as I fail to see how, having a more expensive house, means one will use more services that someone with a less expensive house.
I was surprised at the revolt over it. It didn't seem that incoherent and I even remember paying it for the few months that it existed.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be some support for keeping the property tax, but finding a way in which people who have owned a property for more than a certain number of years (I've heard 10 or 20 years as minimum) be granted a sort of "discount", paying less tax on a house of equivalent value than someone who bought last year or 5 years ago. One suggestion was that the property tax might increase by a slightly lower percentage each year for a long-time owner.

That sort of thing might help those owners who bought 30 or 40 years in what was even then an expensive area, paying $50,000 to $75,000 (though that as "expensive" sounds ridiculous these days) only to have that house now assessed at $5 or $6 million.

I know that houses in eg Shaughnessy in Vancouver were selling for that in the early 1970s, and are now worth $7 million or much more. We decided we couldn't even afford to go look at them when we were looking at buying, even though our realtor offered to take me to one open house!

Instead we decided that we wanted to use only 1 salary, and hence bought this house.

Even that was considered too expensive by some people ................. $23,000-25,000 was considered a good price by many.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised at the revolt over it. It didn't seem that incoherent and I even remember paying it for the few months that it existed.
I thought it only came in in Scotland and that the revolt occurred before it was imposed upon the rest of the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scilly
There seems to be some support for keeping the property tax, but finding a way in which people who have owned a property for more than a certain number of years (I've heard 10 or 20 years as minimum) be granted a sort of "discount", paying less tax on a house of equivalent value than someone who bought last year or 5 years ago. One suggestion was that the property tax might increase by a slightly lower percentage each year for a long-time owner.

That sort of thing might help those owners who bought 30 or 40 years in what was even then an expensive area, paying $50,000 to $75,000 (though that as "expensive" sounds ridiculous these days) only to have that house now assessed at $5 or $6 million.

I know that houses in eg Shaughnessy in Vancouver were selling for that in the early 1970s, and are now worth $7 million or much more. We decided we couldn't even afford to go look at them when we were looking at buying, even though our realtor offered to take me to one open house!

Instead we decided that we wanted to use only 1 salary, and hence bought this house.

Even that was considered too expensive by some people ................. $23,000-25,000 was considered a good price by many.
If the purpose of property tax is to pay for local services, everyone should pay the same and, if that isn't "fair enough" for those that believe that the wealthy should always pay more, base it upon income.

Allowing it to increase simply because one's property value is increasing is insane and bears no relation to what the services cost to deliver. I always thought that the mill rate affected how much people actually paid but it doesn't concern me enough to lose any sleep about it as, fortunately, the municipality in which I live is relatively good at not paying over the odds for the services provided to its residents.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

As I saw it:
Advantage of the old General Rates was that your property had a Rateable Value and the amount payable was based on that. You paid whatever amount per £ of the RV, rather like the rate per $ of assessed value here. Rates payable did not increase simply because property prices did. There was some recognition of individual wealth with it, in that the more expensive house (relative to others), the more money you're likely to have, in the same way that you spend $2000 on a washer and dryer knowing your tax is going to be twice as much as if you bought a pair for $1000.

The disadvantage was the single person paying as much as the house next door with Mr and Mrs Average and their adult offspring and all waged.

While the Poll Tax/Council Tax addressed the inequality a little - with the Sole Occupancy Reduction - the "valuation" part seemed somewhat arbitrary and over valued. My 2 bed terraced house, for example, had the same 'band' has 3 bed houses built 40 years later at the other end of the street and bigger houses opposite me that had three storeys. The back gardens on my side and at my end were all smaller (and up steps) than all the other gardens further up and across the street.
According to rightmove, recent sales show big differences between my bit and the others.

I qualified for the sole occupancy rate but my bill under the new system was still a fair bit more. I appealed but lost as it compared to others - even though they were bigger and/or newer.

The really unpopular part of the Poll Tax was charging for each adult, which went from one bill per home to multiple bills per home.

You might argue that 4 adults in one house produce 4 times as much garbage to collect - but that doesn't mean the costs of collecting that garbage are 4 times that of the solely occupied house next door. Ditto for the costs of providing Library services - they might need to provide more books for 4 to borrow instead of 1, but the greater costs are the running of the library - building and staff.

In any case, expenses like that are mid-range. I've just been googling some council spending and the larger costs are those relating to care of adults and children. Throw in children's education and that's more than half council spending which has no relation to services per property. Charging multiple amounts for each person in a property (especially an over valued one) is what caused the bad feeling.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

If the purpose of property tax is to pay for local services, everyone should pay the same and, if that isn't "fair enough" for those that believe that the wealthy should always pay more, base it upon income.

Allowing it to increase simply because one's property value is increasing is insane and bears no relation to what the services cost to deliver. I always thought that the mill rate affected how much people actually paid but it doesn't concern me enough to lose any sleep about it as, fortunately, the municipality in which I live is relatively good at not paying over the odds for the services provided to its residents.

You are quite correct of course ........... the property tax in BC does pay for all local services.

Nor do we lose any sleep because we know what it is paying for. Not only schools, hospitals, etc but the work currently being done in our immediate neighbourhood or replacing and improving sewer, water and gas services. Yes, it is a mess, and it is hard to find our way around the neighbourhood at times (they are working on several streets at once) ...... but it will be over soon.

Nor are we the kind of seniors who complain about having to pay the school tax when we now don't use that service.

As far as I am concerned, there is a lot of politically-driven angst re the increases, driven by a party that is still smarting at having lost the election last year, the new leader of which lives in a very valuable house and thereby facing paying a larger amount by July 4.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite correct of course ........... the property tax in BC does pay for all local services.

Nor do we lose any sleep because we know what it is paying for. Not only schools, hospitals, etc but the work currently being done in our immediate neighbourhood or replacing and improving sewer, water and gas services. Yes, it is a mess, and it is hard to find our way around the neighbourhood at times (they are working on several streets at once) ...... but it will be over soon.

Nor are we the kind of seniors who complain about having to pay the school tax when we now don't use that service.

As far as I am concerned, there is a lot of politically-driven angst re the increases, driven by a party that is still smarting at having lost the election last year, the new leader of which lives in a very valuable house and thereby facing paying a larger amount by July 4.

I wish the city would come to our area and fix the roads, some are in horrendous shape..... Most well used public service in this area is the police, never seen so much police activity, but we are in between DTES and East Vancouver, so we get some interesting characters in this area....

Last week someone went into the No Frills and apparently poured gasoline on the floor......

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 15th 2018 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish the city would come to our area and fix the roads, some are in horrendous shape..... Most well used public service in this area is the police, never seen so much police activity, but we are in between DTES and East Vancouver, so we get some interesting characters in this area....

Last week someone went into the No Frills and apparently poured gasoline on the floor......
I didn't say they were fixing the roads!

As far as I can make out, or understand from what various workers are telling us .......

they will dig the road, lay new sewers and make the connections to the houses, then they will fill, level and cover with gravel

some time later, guys will come, dig up the gravel stretch, lay new water pipes, make the connections, then fill, level and cover with gravel

some time later, the last lot (we hope!) will dig up the gravel, lay new gas pipes, make the connections, fill, level and hopefully pave the dug up parts. We MIGHT be lucky and get the whole street paved so it will be nice and smooth

At some point the back lanes have to dug up in the same sequence.

New electricity has not been mentioned.

Time mentioned so far is 2 years.

I think the longest time a newly paved road remains smooth is less than 6 months, more often 1 month ............... the first demolition of a house needs new connections for the re-build.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
We have been in Canada 11 years and left the UK when it was rapidly heading south. We always planned to live in the Okanagan but for one reason or another never made it there. We moved to Victoria about 5 years ago but have become so disappointed with Canada and have no confidence in the leadership no matter what political party is in power. The seems to be no concept of planning or financial control here. Its run by the few for the few. They are developing the crap out of the place building the most cheap and ugly condos everywhere (I thought Surrey was bad until we moved to the Island). There is virtually no infrastructure planning and traffic is becoming a big problem. The cost of living is rising exponentially in Victoria, ICBC up 50% in 3 years, Property tax up 50% in 3 years, water up 42% in 4 years, sewage up 500% over 5 years, Hydro up 120% over 10 years and just everything going up in double digits each year. My wife and I have very good jobs but how an earth anyone can survive in BC is beyond me. Crazy politics. I would strongly advise anyone considering moving to BC seriously do their research to see if they can survive here. We have kept most of our bills since first arriving in BC and just about everything has gone up over 100% in 11 years. Salaries are virtually static, salary up 0.5%, 0.3% and 1% over past 8 years. On the positive side we have made a fortune on our property and makes moving back to the UK very viable. Just to put it in perspective our friends in South Langley have just been paid $4 million to vacate their tare-down in Brookswood! Our other friends across the road had an Asian realtor knocked on his door the other week and offered him $4 million for his house he paid $1.4 million a couple of years ago. We went back to the UK last year for a few weeks and for the first time in many years we did not want to return to BC. We are seriously considering retiring to Cornwall or Devon which we found much more affordable compared to BC. I cannot see how pensioners on a fixed income can possibly survive in BC. Just about every reason we moved here no longer applies and we are sick and tired of the nepotism which seems to abound here. My wife and I both work for Healthcare or Crown corporations and have been stunned but what we see day by day. The incompetence, the lazyness, unjustified sickness, unwilling to change, entitlement, nepotism, and so on. Its ground us down over the years and we cannot wait for retirement. We have to wait for are youngest to complete high school then we are planning to move back to the UK.
Nigal Farage's Tinder profile
Old Jun 16th 2018, 12:01 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Effectively the poll tax was a large tax cut to the better off. For the less well off, and renters, an element of rates was already included in their rents - then the poll tax was introduced, but few rents were reduced.

Property owners at the time were given tax incentives to purchase property (MIRAS) - it seemed as if it was just another callous Tory twist to transfer wealth to their core support. Make everyone including the poor pay for things, but give the benefits only to the well off.

Well, that's how I see it. And I was in Trafalgar Square THAT day...
Old Jun 16th 2018, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
While I am no fan of Canada, either, I would be very reluctant to return to the UK. The country has a lot of problems similar to those in Canada. And house prices are not exactly a bargain. As someone who lived in Devon for many years, before coming to Canada, I can assure you that a rural idyll is not a great bet for someone in their retirement. There is a widespread shortage of GPs, transport links are out-dated or non-existent and, frankly, the people from "up the line" have ruined any local flavour there may have been. Now I will admit that living in Novs Scotia, we have the same set of problems, but spending many thousands of dollars to move back, just to get the same set of problems, would seem to be a little counterproductive/. ,
Thanks for the heads up. I share your sentiments. The big difference now is $$$ differential. We never moved to Canada for economic reasons but a change of lifestyle. Our first 7 years were really good but the cost of living in BC has spiralled out of control in recent years to an unsustainable level and I don't see them getting cost under control for the foreseeable future, if anything these knuckle heads will make it worse. Its not just house prices but everyday costs that have risen unsustainably. If its not brought under control soon many people will not be able to afford to live here. Just moving around is getting very difficult. These people really have no idea of how to develop sustainably. BC is a a beautiful place but what is being done to the place is so sad. Just look at Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna compared to 10 years ago, they are mutilating the places. The build massive volumes of ugly condos then wonder why schools, hospitals and other important infrastructure items cant cope. I really don't get that. We were back in the UK last summer and for the first time didn't want to return to Canada. My family are in Plymouth which looked run down compared to when we were last there but we can afford to buy a lovely ocean front property in one of the harbour towns for much cheaper than we can here and put a lot of money in the bank for retirement and travel. I know the SW area very well and have always think its one of the nicest parts of the UK. We miss the British culture, friends and family and cant see us retiring in Canada. We intend to spend some time back in the UK before we retire to see if thats what we really want. Having dual nationality will benefit both us and the kids. It will be interesting to see how Brexit pans out. I wont be retiring for another 4 years and our son needs to complete High school first so we have plenty of time to consider our plans. We still have places we want to visit on this side of the pond before we go back to the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I was staying at the Guidford Sheraton on business this week and someone was stabbed in the lobby, similarly I stayed at the Four Seasons in Vancouver a few weeks ago and went out for dinner only to see homeless camped in many door ways and nut jobs walking and shouting their way around the city. Condos springing up like mushrooms. What a place BC has turned into.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately I think we live in the same very, very low end town. I am not sure the new leader is much better. Just look at his own riding. It just doesn't get any lower than this place. I didn't truly know what a thiefdom looked like to I moved here, run by a megalomaniac mayor with quite a history and his developer buddies (and I am sure you know who they are) including the Premier. Our property tax has gone up 50% in the past 3 years and we don't get a lot of services included which other municipalities do. The municipality is a dictatorship - run by the few for the few. Look at who gets most of the contracts? The mayor has many of his businesses in the municipality, the council voted for their families to sit on committees, his own company runs the garbage (don't say there is competition because his company is the only company which services West Hills) which we have to pay separately, sewage is not included and going up 500% over 5 years to pay for the massive unsustainable ugly developments. CRD water has gone up 40% over the past 4 years and the highways are jammed solid thanks to massive development and no infrastructure improvements. Schools and hospitals are overcrowded. Just to add insult to injury the Energy Minister just ordered Hydro to move the power line by the rugby club for one of the Mayors vanity projects at tax payers expense and for your information that is against policy for obvious reasons. Thats a good way of keeping Hydro rates low. But hey anything goes in this 19th century town. We cant wait to get out of this awful place. I thought the last Premier was bad but this one is no different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.