Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Really nice shop assistant!!

Really nice shop assistant!!

Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Really nice shop assistant!!

OK - this is one of my "what would you do' posts.

Yesterday, I went to our bulk cheese store. It's really hard to find decent cheese in Regina. The "cheddar" is that revolting orange greasy stuff that bears no resemblance to real Cheddar cheese.

Anyway, there were several kinds of Gorgonzola so I asked the guy who works there to tell me the difference. He was really helpful and I went on to ask him about a certain salad dressing that I have been looking for. He said his daughter did the ordering and he would write it down and see if she could get it.

As I said, he was really, really nice and really, really helpful. BUT - he absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke. I could hardly stand beside him and have a conversation. I didn't say anything. My girlfriend said she might have waved her hand in front of her nose and said "Boy - you're a smoker aren't you!"

Even though he was really nice, I honestly found it rather disgusting talking about food and picking cheese up and all the time he smelled like a filthy ashtray. It sort of felt unhygienic to me.

Would you have said anything??

Reminds me of the time (before smoking was banned in eating establishments here) I went to Robin's to get some donuts. When I got home with them, we could not eat them. The box and all the donuts went in the bin - they stunk of cigarette smoke!!

Yuck!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:37 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Really nice shop assistant!!

I would just find a different shop. If he doesn't realise that this is potentially hurting his busines then it's difficult but I wouldn't see it as my place to point that out to him.

I understand how tough it is for smokers to stop but in this day and age supplying food and smoking doesn't go together IMHO. Also how many time do you see Chef's out the back of restaurants having a ciggy - I try not to consider too much what goes on behind those restaurant kitchen doors.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:38 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizwil98
OK - this is one of my "what would you do' posts.

Yesterday, I went to our bulk cheese store. It's really hard to find decent cheese in Regina. The "cheddar" is that revolting orange greasy stuff that bears no resemblance to real Cheddar cheese.

Anyway, there were several kinds of Gorgonzola so I asked the guy who works there to tell me the difference. He was really helpful and I went on to ask him about a certain salad dressing that I have been looking for. He said his daughter did the ordering and he would write it down and see if she could get it.

As I said, he was really, really nice and really, really helpful. BUT - he absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke. I could hardly stand beside him and have a conversation. I didn't say anything. My girlfriend said she might have waved her hand in front of her nose and said "Boy - you're a smoker aren't you!"

Even though he was really nice, I honestly found it rather disgusting talking about food and picking cheese up and all the time he smelled like a filthy ashtray. It sort of felt unhygienic to me.

Would you have said anything??

Reminds me of the time (before smoking was banned in eating establishments here) I went to Robin's to get some donuts. When I got home with them, we could not eat them. The box and all the donuts went in the bin - they stunk of cigarette smoke!!

Yuck!!!!!!!
You eat Gorgonzola and yet are concerned by bad smells and food hygiene? Sorry, but I find that slightly amusing.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but I don't find blue cheese to be a "bad smell". I actually bought some Bleu D'Auverne, which is my favourite. Shropshire blue comes a close second. And I bought some Halloumi. I have tried to like Stilton - being a Brit and all - but I just don't.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I am sorry but I don't find blue cheese to be a "bad smell". I actually bought some Bleu D'Auverne, which is my favourite. Shropshire blue comes a close second. And I bought some Halloumi. I have tried to like Stilton - being a Brit and all - but I just don't.
Liz....my mouth is watering!!!! I love blue cheese, Shropshire blue is one of my favorites!!! yummy!!!!

I have to agree the smell of cigarettes would have really put me off buying anything.

Linda
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked smoking was still (just about) legal in Canada.

If you dont like the smell of the guy that much, either say something (you seem very diplomatic from what I have read in other posts), or just dont shop there. If you cant find the cheese selection on offer conveniently elsewhere, then you dont have much choice I guess and will have to grin and bear it.

Maybe he doesnt like your deodorant and is torn between doing nothing and saying something and potentialy losing a customer...

There wasnt any anoying Bouzouki music was there?

Last edited by iaink; Apr 24th 2007 at 6:46 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

No - I would have liked bazouki music myself! Is that what happens in your local cheese store?

This is actually a double store - one part is a bakery and the other sells cheese. They also have a deli with different salads and samosas etc. for sale.

Regina is not terribly cosmopolitan. I think it's getting a bit better but we don't have a huge immigrant population so I guess stuff from other countries doesn't sell all that well.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDat9zdw7Gs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_Shop_sketch

Last edited by iaink; Apr 25th 2007 at 1:47 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Monty Python reminder iaink - brought back many funny memories.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41
Thanks for the Monty Python reminder iaink - brought back many funny memories.
I have to say that as an ex smoker you dont realise how badly you smell, maybe talk to his manager about what am amazing sales clerk he was but that it would helpful if he chewed some gum or had a life saver once he came off his break.
However in his defence, non smokers complain about us, but I have terrible allergies to perfume and aftershave yet ppl get offended when i tell them. there has to be some give and take.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh for sure. Some people must shower in their perfume!!