Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old May 20th 2022, 3:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's a bigger problem for the people who don't want to move away and have a strong connection to their birth place.
I didn't want to move away and have a strong connection to my birthplace. I work all the time with people who didn't want to move away and have a strong connection to their birthplaces. I certainly wouldn't have moved to Toronto if it hadn't had cheap houses. Nothing has changed in that regard. Today, you can't sell your house in Toronto or Vancouver and buy the same one in London or New York, there's still the small town pricing advantage in the Canadian locations.
Old May 21st 2022, 3:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't want to move away and have a strong connection to my birthplace. I work all the time with people who didn't want to move away and have a strong connection to their birthplaces. I certainly wouldn't have moved to Toronto if it hadn't had cheap houses. Nothing has changed in that regard. Today, you can't sell your house in Toronto or Vancouver and buy the same one in London or New York, there's still the small town pricing advantage in the Canadian locations.
You think? It depends where you are in the market in my humble opinion.

If I had known about the pandemic boom of 40% and the complete FOMO I'd have bought a $430k 2 bedroom condo that was put in front of me I if memory serves around 2014. If I did sell it now (with the capital) I could quite comfortably buy a 2 bedroom place in my home town of Farnham, Surrey with no or a very small mortgage.

Granted it's a 50 minute train ride to London but I think real estate has some what levelled off between the two places.

I don't think you'll see much of a correction though in the UK like what we will see in Canada. Largely because some of the typical reasons people actually give for high prices some what hold up there.

You have quite a few acres though and I do appreciate to replicate that in the home counties would be quite the bill.

By the way I've moved to the Beaches! Been here 2 months! I'm above Home Hardware on Queen East, almost opposite the Glen Manor Ravine! It's amazing out here! I love it!

Last edited by JamesM; May 21st 2022 at 3:07 pm.
Old May 21st 2022, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

By the way I've moved to the Beaches! Been here 2 months! I'm above Home Hardware on Queen East, almost opposite the Glen Manor Ravine! It's amazing out here! I love it!

Beach! You parvenu.

Yes, I was happy there even if it is a bit up itself. Being able to walk to the yacht club was fantastic. Congratulations.
Old May 22nd 2022, 2:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
You think? It depends where you are in the market in my humble opinion.

If I had known about the pandemic boom of 40% and the complete FOMO I'd have bought a $430k 2 bedroom condo that was put in front of me I if memory serves around 2014. If I did sell it now (with the capital) I could quite comfortably buy a 2 bedroom place in my home town of Farnham, Surrey with no or a very small mortgage.

Granted it's a 50 minute train ride to London but I think real estate has some what levelled off between the two places.

I don't think you'll see much of a correction though in the UK like what we will see in Canada. Largely because some of the typical reasons people actually give for high prices some what hold up there.

You have quite a few acres though and I do appreciate to replicate that in the home counties would be quite the bill.

And on comparative pricing: House for sale in Richmond Road, London, E8 (Ref 181772) | Dexters
Old May 23rd 2022, 12:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!
Old May 23rd 2022, 5:37 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Vancouver BC - https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-tear...ours-1.5907919
Old May 23rd 2022, 8:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by btar
Only slightly. Maybe eighteen months ago my daughter and her husband started looking in Vancouver with a budget of 1.5. That wasn't enough so they saved some more and eventually bought at 2.7. Less than 3 million Canadian can still buy a nice detached house in Kitsilano, run down admittedly, but all first houses should be a bit run down. That's not money that will buy a whelk stand in an equivalent part of London such as Hampstead or Highgate.
Old May 24th 2022, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Some people really did lose their minds:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...orse-1.6461379

Bought a house in Sudbury, sight unseen. Ended up with a wreck.
Old May 24th 2022, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Some people really did lose their minds:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...orse-1.6461379

Bought a house in Sudbury, sight unseen. Ended up with a wreck.

"Keyes and Nakashima said they don't feel they were advised on proper due diligence, and don't feel their real estate agent acted in their best interest."

Pull the other one. The agent is there to sell, not to act according to the interests of the buyer.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

"Keyes and Nakashima said they don't feel they were advised on proper due diligence, and don't feel their real estate agent acted in their best interest."

Pull the other one. The agent is there to sell, not to act according to the interests of the buyer.
Well the buyer's agent is meant to act in the interests of the buyer.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Buyer’s and Seller’s agents are only interested in one thing…$$$$ in their pockets. This may or may not be in the best interest of their clients.
Old May 24th 2022, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bc2015
And Boris thought he was at a work event when the drinks were thrust into his hands.
Old May 25th 2022, 3:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Cats and swinging come to mind.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the radio that the Bank of Canada are predicting that due to rising interest rates and the rising cost of living house prices could be down as much as 15% by the end of 2023!
Old Jun 21st 2022, 3:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
I heard on the radio that the Bank of Canada are predicting that due to rising interest rates and the rising cost of living house prices could be down as much as 15% by the end of 2023!
They'll be down 15% by the end of this year.

By the end of next year closer to 30%.

We'll then have several years of stagnation whilst wages close the gap a little and then the cycle will start again with the February 2022 peak hit again some time around 2030-2035 in real terms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.