Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ready Brek - does it exist

Ready Brek - does it exist

Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:49 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ready Brek - does it exist

Anyone know of anything like Ready Brek we can get over here. You know the stuff - empty packet of powder into bowl, add milk, shove in microwave and hey presto a hot breakfast the kids will eat. Everything I've tried is more like sloppy, wet porridge.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:55 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ready Brek - does it exist

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/o.../original.aspx

You can get this... Have not seen Ready Brek anywhere.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Instant oatmeal does it for my kids. The one with dinosaur eggs is particularly popular.

If its sloppy, then maybe you are putting too much water/milk in?

Ready Brek was an offence to my scottish ancestors Maybe that explains its popularity in England. Its not the taste, thats for sure. Canada is onto a winner with maple flavour oatmeal
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:33 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Anyone know of anything like Ready Brek we can get over here. You know the stuff - empty packet of powder into bowl, add milk, shove in microwave and hey presto a hot breakfast the kids will eat. Everything I've tried is more like sloppy, wet porridge.
Is there a Quality Foods up there? They are carrying a fair bit of 'Brit' stuff these days
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:59 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - there is a Quality Foods in Comox - don't shop there but I'll check it out.

Most of the oatmeal I've tried seems to end up as milk with oats floating in it - not pleasant.

If I get no joy at Quality Foods I'll check the Quakers stuff out.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:34 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like the quaker oats stuff, as long as it's the lower sugar one, too sweet otherwise. I often make my own oatmeal in the microwave. 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup scottish oatmeal, 1 cup milk, or half milk half water. Couple of minutes in the microwave.............yum!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

There are a couple of Brit shops in Victoria that carry Ready Brek and also one in Steveston, Richmond... I have got a couple of boxes from there before - but it is expensive! Works wonders with my little girl though!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:06 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Make your own sweetened porridge by putting oats, milk and raisins/chopped prunes in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes or cook on stove top for a few minutes longer.

Once thickened, stop cooking and add a few drops of vanilla extract and some sugar/maple syrup/jam to taste. You can add all kinds of fruit or berries too if you want. This way you can control the sugar content and it's much tastier than the sachets.

The microwave version takes the same time to cook as the sachets so it's just as quick. One large bag of Robin Hood Quick Oats costs a fraction of the cost of all the boxes you would need to buy.

Porridge is a great winter warmer
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

They eat Cream of Wheat here. I think it's semolina.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
One large bag of Robin Hood Quick Oats costs a fraction of the cost of all the boxes you would need to buy.
Ah, but where can I get the little eggs that melt away to reveal a sugar dinosaur within...
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Ah, but where can I get the little eggs that melt away to reveal a sugar dinosaur within...
The corner shop on Planet Iain sells them

Iain are you broadbanded now?? Who do you use?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The corner shop on Planet Iain sells them

Iain are you broadbanded now?? Who do you use?
Quaker must get them somewhere.... essential to get my kids to eat it Im afraid.

Ha, No, fat chance of that.

Just working late.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:45 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

loaded in sugar and preservatives - give your kids the plain oates!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:57 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried everything for mine, now i have it shipped over
That and oxo are the only things now that my friends/family put in our parcels that i REALLY need.
There is a few brit shops about, but works out really expensive, i brought a an extra bag back, plus stuff in the boxes i shipped back with me on the last travel to the uk.............

Why not ask people when they send xmas stuff, to put some boxes in for you
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, No, fat chance of that.

Just working late.
I sense that your idea of "working" is similar to mine.

Sorry to be predictable but WTF is Ready Brek? And why would anyone buy a product that is misspelled in such a crass Madison Ave sort of way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.