Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I had no idea that nearly 50% of BC residents are expected to get cancer at some point in their life, I don't like those odds.
This statistic can be (and often is) stated for all developed Western countries. It's a bit misleading.
The statistics are a 'whole of life' calculation, and cancer is still primarily a disease of the over 65s. Due to medical advances, we're living longer than ever. The older you get, the more likely you are to be diagnosed with some form of cancer. Those medical advances have also greatly improved our chances of surviving it.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 12:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Half the people who get cancer survive it, so no worries!

Mum's nearly 87, had bowel cancer and resection at 60. She's fine
Mum again, diagnosed with breast cancer last year, had a breast removed and is now on oral treatment (tablets). She's fine (in fact she came home the day after her operation and baked some biscuits!) Her doctor has told her that she's good for some years, and it's almost certain that she'll die with breast cancer, not of it.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This statistic can be (and often is) stated for all developed Western countries. It's a bit misleading.
The statistics are a 'whole of life' calculation, and cancer is still primarily a disease of the over 65s. Due to medical advances, we're living longer than ever. The older you get, the more likely you are to be diagnosed with some form of cancer. Those medical advances have also greatly improved our chances of surviving it.
Good point.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The pilot of this car must carry his balls around in a wheel barrow

Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The fire near Pentiction seems to be growing, over 3,000 properties issued a mandatory evacuation order.

https://www.penticton.ca/city-hall/n...east-penticton

Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:05 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The fire near Pentiction seems to be growing
Are you seeing much smoke in Kelowna yet? Also is the Kaladen fire still big? I'm hoping the low number of fires so far is allowing maximum resources to be used to save residential areas. I've only gone to Penticton via the back road east of the lake once, and didn't pay much attention to how it was developed.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The pilot of this car must carry his balls around in a wheel barrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRRduTO3XE
He obviously knows that road. There were a couple of parts where the road turned after a hump and he turned his wheels ready for landing.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

Are you seeing much smoke in Kelowna yet? Also is the Kaladen fire still big? I'm hoping the low number of fires so far is allowing maximum resources to be used to save residential areas. I've only gone to Penticton via the back road east of the lake once, and didn't pay much attention to how it was developed.
Not really bad, its been a little hazy so I assume that smoked caused, today looks cloudy so hard to tell, so probably some in the air, but not enough to make a noticeable difference, at least in my area on the west side.

I drove thought here once 11 or so years ago, so can't remember what the place even looks like.

I don't see the Kaladen fire on the map so I assume its out? The only fire shown on the map is the current one near Pentiction.

99 active fires in the province currently, 55 in the last 2 days.

The graphs are the fires to date, as of last update today, they update the info every 2 hours.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 5:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the Kaladen fire on the map so I assume its out?
Yep, I checked and it's been out for weeks. If the wind dies out for a few days a lot of the problem fires can probably be brought under control. This time of year any rain seems to be the product of thunderstorms, and every bolt of lightning that touches down starts a new blaze.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mum again, diagnosed with breast cancer last year, had a breast removed and is now on oral treatment (tablets). She's fine (in fact she came home the day after her operation and baked some biscuits!) Her doctor has told her that she's good for some years, and it's almost certain that she'll die with breast cancer, not of it.

I had breast cancer at age 42 and my daughter had it at age 50. I'm past the 25 year mark and daughter just passed the 1 year mark.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I had breast cancer at age 42 and my daughter had it at age 50. I'm past the 25 year mark and daughter just passed the 1 year mark.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Yep, I checked and it's been out for weeks. If the wind dies out for a few days a lot of the problem fires can probably be brought under control. This time of year any rain seems to be the product of thunderstorms, and every bolt of lightning that touches down starts a new blaze.
Pretty much, the lightning storms are pretty, but they also cause a lot of fires.

last summer and this summer haven't been as bad the the 2017 and 2018 fire season, those 2 summers were horrible.

Not all fires are bad though, some eco systems need fire to survive, parts of California the eco system needs fire. Giant Sequoia's for example, without fire they wont reproduce.

Of course the Giant Sequoia's have evolved to survive fires, and are incredibly fire resistant.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 1:53 am
Account Closed

The washer and dryer have touch pads to turn on, off, start and such, weird thing is my wife can use any finger and works, but me only my index finger, its just so weird.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Only persons in my family who had cancer that I am aware of was a great grandmother who had stomach cancer in her late 80's but she chose not to receive treatment for it, my mom had breast cancer in 2002 or 2003, she did survive but she had to have some pretty radical surgical treatment along with Chemo and radiation, but she never fully recovered the cancer treatment did a lot of damage to her thyroid and body physically, but she did survive.

Most in my family died too young for cancers more common in older age groups, so I have no family history to go by for cancers more common in older adults.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

The media wasn't able to contact the person who put the ad up, but I wouldn't be surprised if its a real ad, landlords in BC and especially in Vancouver come up with all sorts of wild conditions, many times not legal, stay away from such landlords, if they can't even manage not to break the law with an ad, gawd know what they are like once moved in.

Red flag in the ad is asking for first and last month rent + 1/2 month damage deposit, that is not legal in BC. Maximum deposit is 1/2 month rent, last month rent cannot be asked for and first month rent is due on move in not before.

There are a couple of other things not permitted under the laws in BC and the ad is just aggressive and rude.

Reddit post

CTV local news pick up the story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.