Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 28th 2019, 4:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...wonder if you could get a job at Vancouver and then transfer ... hmm .. get your stuff moved cheaper too possibly...
Like this you mean?

Spoiler:

Old Feb 28th 2019, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As expected my flight will be late. The aircraft still needs to do PSP to YYC and back to PSP. Ill say 60 mins late on the leg back to YVR tonight.

AC with doing research has horrid on time performance.

​​​​​Live and learn.

​I hate renting. Renting on disability is even harder as landlords dont like to rent to those on disability.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 28th 2019 at 7:13 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a panic attack boarding the plane. Now I.am stuck until I can find a way home.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 1:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I had a panic attack boarding the plane. Now I.am stuck until I can find a way home.
Damn. Can you get anything back on your fare from Air Canada or is it a write-off? In a perfect world I suppose they'd just stick you on the next flight and say no harm no foul, but that's probably asking too much.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Damn. Can you get anything back on your fare from Air Canada or is it a write-off? In a perfect world I suppose they'd just stick you on the next flight and say no harm no foul, but that's probably asking too much.
Some.of the US airlines would. Air Canada wouldn't though.

​​​​​​Working on trying to find. a way home.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Some.of the US airlines would. Air Canada wouldn't though.
​​​Working on trying to find. a way home.
I guess you'll just have to re-book and stay over a little while then try again; it could be worse. How did your family react? It's not like it's something you intended or set out to do.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
I guess you'll just have to re-book and stay over a little while then try again; it could be worse. How did your family react? It's not like it's something you intended or set out to do.
Workimg on trying to find in our price range. The US airlines charge in USD obviously so thats making things trickier. lol

Lisa is okay she understands. My mom is annoyed.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 1st 2019 at 4:03 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 4:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My 15 year old Daughter has suddenly developed anxiety issues and panic attacks. There is no family history of anything like this on either side, we are at a total loss on what could have brought it on. She described the feeling and it sounds awful.

I'm not sure what you can do, but I hope you take some precautions for the next flight. Good luck.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 4:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that JS - I feel for you... that happened to me once, returning to the UK from Toronto - I had travelled hundreds of thousands of miles by plane over the years without ever having an issue - but for some reason I was convinced if I got on the plane I wouldn't live to tell the tale. Really weird feeling, total panic.. melt down.. luckily Air Transat were wonderful, taking me into a private office and making a phone call for me for someone to pick me up.. then they said they would give me a credit on the ticket for a standby ticket on any flight for the next week.

Might be worth asking Air Canada if they could give you any credit towards a stand-by ticket as it was a health reason.. or have they totally refused that possibility?

Failing that, would a coach be any cheaper?
https://www.busbud.com/en-ca/bus-sch...03-02&adults=1
https://www.wanderu.com/en-ca/depart...YARed8V_f0hOg0

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 1st 2019 at 4:44 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

Sorry to hear that JS - I feel for you... that happened to me once, returning to the UK from Toronto - I had travelled hundreds of thousands of miles by plane over the years without ever having an issue - but for some reason I was convinced if I got on the plane I wouldn't live to tell the tale. Really weird feeling, total panic.. melt down.. luckily Air Transat were wonderful, taking me into a private office and making a phone call for me for someone to pick me up.. then they said they would give me a credit on the ticket for a standby ticket on any flight for the next week.

Might be worth asking Air Canada if they could give you any credit towards a stand-by ticket as it was a health reason.. or have they totally refused that possibility?

Failing that, would a coach be any cheaper?
https://www.busbud.com/en-ca/bus-sch...03-02&adults=1
https://www.wanderu.com/en-ca/depart...YARed8V_f0hOg0

Air Canada i spent an hour working up the chain of command and got nowhere so I gave up.

I was able to find something on Delta tomorrow.

I dunno what happened, I have never had an issue getting on a plane before. I was anxious about the flight all day, got to the airport, checked my bag in, at the gate started to feel more anxious and turned into a full on attack. No clue why. Never happened before with flying.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know which was funniest, the number of random F bombs or the closing comment 'have a nice day'
Total change of pace there. Ok i have run out of fbombs now bye bye
Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:55 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlliF

Total change of pace there. Ok i have run out of fbombs now bye bye
That is my go to video when I need a laugh. The way he said 'innit' and have a nice day, makes me think think the guy filming is an Indian Brit faking the accent.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Danny B
My 15 year old Daughter has suddenly developed anxiety issues and panic attacks. There is no family history of anything like this on either side, we are at a total loss on what could have brought it on. She described the feeling and it sounds awful.

I'm not sure what you can do, but I hope you take some precautions for the next flight. Good luck.

Living with IT by Bet Aisbett

Cartoon style and easy to read.
Gives insight , help and tips.

Old Mar 2nd 2019, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

25 minutes by plane from Vancouver so they have an airport... ooooh wonder if there might be a part time job opportunity for you.. Pacific Coastal give discounted and free flights if you work for them too... oooh .. wonder if you could get a job at Vancouver and then transfer ... hmm .. get your stuff moved cheaper too possibly (thinking out loud ) https://pacificcoastal.prevueaps.com/jobs/
We offer excellent travel perks within the Pacific Coastal network for employees, their families, and their buddies. Also available to employees and their eligible family members is standby travel on other airlines across the world with major Canadian airlines including Air Canada, WestJet, Air Transat, Cathay Pacific, and more. Additionally, employees are eligible for discounts with various hotels and restaurants within the communities we serve as well as steeply discounted cargo shipping within the Pacific Coastal network.

Takeoff Tuesdays discounts for Powell River https://www.pacificcoastal.com/takeoff-tuesday/

Could be complicated getting there ......... Pacific Coastal leaves YVR South Terminal. No public transit to there that I can see ............ you have to get to YVR, get down to Domestic level and take a Shuttle bus.

I can't see any shuttles from Powell River airport into Powell River, which could mean that it is taxi service .......... and if that is like any other small BC town that I've flown into, then it means there isn't a taxi rank, but a "mom and pop" taxi service with a couple of cars, and you have to phone from the airport.

Getting to and from Powell River by ferry means getting to Horseshoe Bay by transit (easy), then a ferry from there to Langdale, then from there up the coast to Powell River with another ferry crossing at Saltery Bay.

I cannot see any way to get from Langdale to PR without your own transport ................ there is supposed to be a Sunshine Coast Connector (coach service) from downtown Vancouver all the way to PR, but the links to the site no longer seem to work.

In fact several sites suggest that getting to PR from Horseshoe is best done by taking the ferry to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, drive up the Island to Comox and take the ferry from Comox to PR.

We've gone both ways to PR from Vancouver by car, and it is a beautiful trip, although going via the Island takes much longer ............... I would hate to do it without our own transport.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 12:46 am
Account Closed

There is public transit to YVR south terminal. A bus. You get off the train at Bridgeport and catch the 412 bus.

That said most airport jobs are not compatible with public transit as they start too early or end too late. When I worked at YVR I started at 4:15am way too early to take transit.

The night shift got off at 1 to 2am.

Hence why I had to drive to work in an Evo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.