Racism in football

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:42 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in football

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
so did I. Off-field = in the stands.

That's my point - it's unlikely to affect the result. If the losing side shouts abuse, they forfeit a game they were losing anyway.

but the problem comes as i say when the club challenges it, how could anyone deffinitively prove that a certain fan, or, section of fans did the chanting, even though it should be as obvious as you point out, a reasonable doubt will remain, and it will probably be replayed, to the losing teams obvious advantage.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that a single plonker shouting abuse from the stand is going to get picked out by the ref. But are you trying to tell me that enough people are in the "wrong" end that they would be able to make themselves heard, to the extent of distinguishing the words, over the other 76,000?

i've heard old trafford and other grounds, wigan springs to mind, where after a goal and the home side goes quiet, its quite easy to pick out a small group. as for individuals, well there are stewards everywhere, if, and its a big if, this is taken seriously, the stewards could be employed and this could be taken to an individual level with the ref being informed at half time say, or any other short break in the game.

I disagree - I think it has a chance of success if the sanctions are appropriate (e.g. game forfeits, points docked etc) and the clubs buy in to the idea - I mean really buy in, not just pay lip service - that racism has no place in a football ground. But that's just my opinion, and I'm not a die-hard (or even a die-easy, frankly) footie fan.
sorry, i think this whole idea is nothing but lip service. its societies problem, not footballs.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:43 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

That's my point - it's unlikely to affect the result. If the losing side shouts abuse, they forfeit a game they were losing anyway. If the winning side's supporters are guilty, it's in the club's interest to identify and ban those responsible. If abusive chants are coming from the winning side's section of the ground, they're hardly fans worthy of the name if they know they'll get the game forfeited and lose their team 3 certain points. Win-win, I'd have thought.
I don't think anyone's suggesting that a single plonker shouting abuse from the stand is going to get picked out by the ref. But are you trying to tell me that enough people are in the "wrong" end that they would be able to make themselves heard, to the extent of distinguishing the words, over the other 76,000?
I disagree - I think it has a chance of success if the sanctions are appropriate (e.g. game forfeits, points docked etc) and the clubs buy in to the idea - I mean really buy in, not just pay lip service - that racism has no place in a football ground. But that's just my opinion, and I'm not a die-hard (or even a die-easy, frankly) footie fan.
how do you do that, when you get lots of bits of my post and quote odd bits of it in boxes, i still have not figured it out.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:49 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
how do you do that, when you get lots of bits of my post and quote odd bits of it in boxes, i still have not figured it out.
Copy and paste your quoted message, and editing other bits to leave the bits you want to reply to.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:53 am
rae
Settled.

That's my point - it's unlikely to affect the result. If the losing side shouts abuse, they forfeit a game they were losing anyway. If the winning side's supporters are guilty, it's in the club's interest to identify and ban those responsible. If abusive chants are coming from the winning side's section of the ground, they're hardly fans worthy of the name if they know they'll get the game forfeited and lose their team 3 certain points. Win-win, I'd have thought.
Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Copy and paste your quoted message, and editing other bits to leave the bits you want to reply to.
ta, i take it thats with the new reply button, not the quote one, sorry if that is obvious i am not exactly computer literate at times.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Look at any top-level team now and show me how .....green players are discriminated against? The football industry is colour-blind.
Bloody hell, the posters on here are right, Britain has gone to the dogs, there were nowt like this in my day
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:10 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Bloody hell, the posters on here are right, Britain has gone to the dogs, there were nowt like this in my day
its the new martian signing for liverpool, they are that desperate. don't call him a martini though or he will kick off.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:53 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
its the new martian signing for liverpool, they are that desperate. don't call him a martini though or he will kick off.
Martian's don't kick. They invade.

Originally Posted by rae
ta, i take it thats with the new reply button, not the quote one, sorry if that is obvious i am not exactly computer literate at times.
Either the quote button, or the little square multi-quote button to the right of it for quoting more than one previous post in your reply. Give it a try sometime. If you make an error, just delete it and try again.

Some of us spend way too much time learning this stuff, and not enough time doing what I should be doing. No problem Rae.