Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Quitting work dilemma

Quitting work dilemma

Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quitting work dilemma

So here's the problem. I've been on Maternity leave since last April and I'm due to go back to work on April 28th. The problem is we plan to put the house up for sale at the start of May and move back to Northern Ireland in the summer (hopefully July).

My OH starts a new job on Wednesday which means that I really don't need to work plus other than a couple of days in May he won't be home until August. I don't now what to do for the best, should I go back to work for a few months or should I just resign now. I should also point out that I don't receive maternity benefits from my employer (I work for a real estate lawyer) and although I've worked in the office since 2003 I don't have an employment contract. Also I still haven't found daycare for my little girl.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quitting work dilemma

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
So here's the problem. I've been on Maternity leave since last April and I'm due to go back to work on April 28th. The problem is we plan to put the house up for sale at the start of May and move back to Northern Ireland in the summer (hopefully July).

My OH starts a new job on Wednesday which means that I really don't need to work plus other than a couple of days in May he won't be home until August. I don't now what to do for the best, should I go back to work for a few months or should I just resign now. I should also point out that I don't receive maternity benefits from my employer (I work for a real estate lawyer) and although I've worked in the office since 2003 I don't have an employment contract. Also I still haven't found daycare for my little girl.

Any thoughts?
I would just resign and let your employer know as quickly as possible so that they can sort out a replacement.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would just resign and let your employer know as quickly as possible so that they can sort out a replacement.
agreed
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I was thinking that was probably the best way to go about it. I feel so guilty as they've kept my job for me all this time and now I'm turning around at the last minute and saying sorry I'm not coming back to work after all.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Your coming back to N.I ?

Your madd!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
Your coming back to N.I ?

Your madd!
I'd rather use the term Clinically Insane
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:34 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that was probably the best way to go about it. I feel so guilty as they've kept my job for me all this time and now I'm turning around at the last minute and saying sorry I'm not coming back to work after all.
Looking at it from the other side I had a job covering for someone on maternity leave and I dreaded the day that the original postholder would return as I loved the work. Long story short - after dragging out her return date for as long as possible .... she eventually decided not to come back and I got the job permanently ... maybe your replacement feels the same way and so at least you would be making one person happy (well two if you count you!)

Good luck with whatever you decide, J
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingle
Looking at it from the other side I had a job covering for someone on maternity leave and I dreaded the day that the original postholder would return as I loved the work. Long story short - after dragging out her return date for as long as possible .... she eventually decided not to come back and I got the job permanently ... maybe your replacement feels the same way and so at least you would be making one person happy (well two if you count you!)

Good luck with whatever you decide, J

Just curious how did your bosses feel about being strung along?
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:15 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

He was fairly relaxed about it but the most annoying thing for them was that she kept giving a provisional date when she would return and then delaying it. She was adamant before she went on maternity leave that she wanted to work after having the baby but then she changed her mind and kept umming and aahing about what she did really want. That didn't go down well .... and personally I was on tenterhooks as I didn't know if I would be leaving or staying.

Reflecting back I think the best thing for you to do is to be upfront and honest with your boss as soon as possible - thank him for keeping the job open, really appreciate it but your life is now taking a different direction with two young children, hubby working away, considering a move, whatever .... whatever ....

Not sure how much you have been in contact with your boss since going on maternity leave but he would probably appreciate being told asap so that he can move on and recruit a permanent replacement for you.

J
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingle
He was fairly relaxed about it but the most annoying thing for them was that she kept giving a provisional date when she would return and then delaying it. She was adamant before she went on maternity leave that she wanted to work after having the baby but then she changed her mind and kept umming and aahing about what she did really want. That didn't go down well .... and personally I was on tenterhooks as I didn't know if I would be leaving or staying.

Reflecting back I think the best thing for you to do is to be upfront and honest with your boss as soon as possible - thank him for keeping the job open, really appreciate it but your life is now taking a different direction with two young children, hubby working away, considering a move, whatever .... whatever ....

Not sure how much you have been in contact with your boss since going on maternity leave but he would probably appreciate being told asap so that he can move on and recruit a permanent replacement for you.

J
Thanks Jingle. I think I better let them know ASAP. When I left work last year I never imagined things would have changed so much.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go back Elaine....you will need all the hours you can get to sort out moving back to Norn Iron, especially with that hubby of yours jetsetting around the world somewhere
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

I think as long as you're upfront and honest your employer won't have a problem with you not returning. You certainly wouldn't be the first not to return from maternity leave.

With the house going on the market, hubby working away and a new baby to care for I'd suggest you're better off at home. In your shoes I certainly wouldn't be able to give an employer 100% and if I could afford to stay at home that's the option I'd take - enjoy the time with your baby - they don't stay little for long.

Lynne
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Don't go back Elaine....you will need all the hours you can get to sort out moving back to Norn Iron, especially with that hubby of yours jetsetting around the world somewhere
I'm only starting to realize that it's going to be impossible to organize everything and go to work. OH has just been home for a week and he leaves for LA on Wednesday. He'll be home for a couple of days in May and then he doesn't get home until August 3rd
Old Apr 14th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beastie
I think as long as you're upfront and honest your employer won't have a problem with you not returning. You certainly wouldn't be the first not to return from maternity leave.

With the house going on the market, hubby working away and a new baby to care for I'd suggest you're better off at home. In your shoes I certainly wouldn't be able to give an employer 100% and if I could afford to stay at home that's the option I'd take - enjoy the time with your baby - they don't stay little for long.

Lynne
I think you're right I'm not exactly going to have my mind on my work and that's not doing anyone any favours.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:30 pm
Curiously Wise

Thanks Jingle. I think I better let them know ASAP. When I left work last year I never imagined things would have changed so much.
Best of luck - let us know how it goes - you sound as though you have quite enough on your plate without working as well ... J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.