Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question for those who own Winter Tires...

Question for those who own Winter Tires...

Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Question for those who own Winter Tires...

I think seperate rims makes the most sense. I just dont want to get a shake at 5am one morning to shovel the drive and change over her tires before she goes to work

I will probably buy them in the next few weeks so I don't have to panic. Probably not going to bother for my car. I dont work so if its bad I just won't go out

thanks
Tom
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tallperson
And actually it has been changed to December 15th so we get an extra month...

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...iver#mandatory
November 15th in some parts of QC seems awfully early and in most winters by April 15th it can seem springlike.

Pedantic mode on...how exactly are 'snow' or 'winter' tyres defined in this law in QC.

I'm sure that the days leading up to December 15th will be busy at tyre places.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog

Pedantic mode on...how exactly are 'snow' or 'winter' tyres defined in this law in QC.
Perfectly legitimate question.

My understanding is that in order to be qualified as a winter tire it must have this symbol on the sidewall.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Perfectly legitimate question.

My understanding is that in order to be qualified as a winter tire it must have this symbol on the sidewall.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tires/sse.jpg

Cheers
Steve
What is the definition of winter tires?
Menu.

The draft regulation, published on September 17, 2008 in the Gazette officielle du Québec, defines tires specifically designed for winter driving as those that meet one of the following criteria prior to December 15, 2014:

* Tires on which one of the following inscriptions appear: Alaska, Arctic, A/T, or AT, Blizzard, Ice, LT, Nordic, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud, Ultratraction or Winter.

or

* Tires on which the icon representing a mountain with a superimposed snowflake appears.

Starting on December 15, 2014, the draft regulation specifies that only those tires on which the icon representing the mountain with the superimposed snowflake appears shall be considered to be winter tires.

It is important to note that the draft regulation has not yet been adopted and that it may be improved upon following comments that may be sent to the Minister over the course of the 45-day period following the publication of the draft regulation in the Gazette officielle du Québec.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:50 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

hm, haven't looked into it yet (bought my car only towards end of last winter and having winter tires on a bike on vancouver island would be completely overkill ).
but if i remember right there is a difference between snow tires and winter tires. common sense tells me that the rubber compound must be similar, the difference would be in the profile, did i get that right? well, i personally have to believe what the manufacturer writes onto the label anyway, at least for now.

what i learned back in europe about the timing for changing to winter tires: when the daily temperature doesn't get over 7 degrees celsius anymore winter tires have the better grip - but that was in comparison to "real" summer tires, all seasons are most probably - due to their nature - a bit more forgiving.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's pretty simple here. Winter tyres are a legal requirement from 15 Nov to 15 April.
Isn't it as much to do with the temperature as well? I noticed the biggest difference driving around town, simply because the streets are almost always cleared, but really slick when it drops below -20. That's when those 'Winters come in to their own.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
common sense tells me that the rubber compound must be similar, the difference would be in the profile, did i get that right? well, i personally have to believe what the manufacturer writes onto the label anyway, at least for now.
Common sense is a bitch. Actually the Main difference is that they use a completely different rubber compound. Without a rubber thats sticky at lower temperatures when regular rubber goes hard. Without the cold weather compound you can do what you want with the tread profile to aid in clearing snow and water from the treads and to provide more bite, but the effect wont be all they great in the cold as the rubber wont grip the tarmac anyway.

Of course the rubber thats sticky at low temperatures has no durability in summer temperatures...which is why its a good idea to switch back again come easter.

This law in Quebec...will that apply to Quebec plated rental cars too?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Common sense is a bitch. Actually the Main difference is that they use a completely different rubber compound. Without a rubber thats sticky at lower temperatures when regular rubber goes hard. Without the cold weather compound you can do what you want with the tread profile to aid in clearing snow and water from the treads and to provide more bite, but the effect wont be all they great in the cold as the rubber wont grip the tarmac anyway.

Of course the rubber thats sticky at low temperatures has no durability in summer temperatures...which is why its a good idea to switch back again come easter.

This law in Quebec...will that apply to Quebec plated rental cars too?
Apparently yes. It is all cars registered in Quebec plus any car rented in Quebec regardless of where it is registered. Interestingly motor homes are exempt!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently yes. It is all cars registered in Quebec plus any car rented in Quebec regardless of where it is registered. Interestingly motor homes are exempt!
Enforcement is going to be interesting.

First we had the Language police.

Now, we have .... the Rubber police?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's because they have a stopping distance that covers two time zones...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
Enforcement is going to be interesting.

First we had the Language police.

Now, we have .... the Rubber police?
And the idling police. The Ottawa Citizen this morning reported that Gatineau police will start cracking down hard on this from now on. It's a no-no even on private property.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Presumably commercial trucks / vans etc are also exempt?

What about pickup trucks? I cant ever remember seing a pickup with winter tires come to think of it.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And the idling police. The Ottawa Citizen this morning reported that Gatineau police will start cracking down hard on this from now on. It's a no-no even on private property.
Its currently a by-law in Ottawa, but there are exemptions when the temp is above a certain temp and below another one (taking into account humidex and wind chill)....who thinks up this stuff.....
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I imagine that there may be one way rentals etc, dropped off at Montreal airport or in Montreal from Ontario...would they have to be equipped with the winter tyres if they want to be rented out again.

TBTH, it seems like a very hard law to enforce....a good law but a hard one to enforce.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Its currently a by-law in Ottawa, but there are exemptions when the temp is above a certain temp and below another one (taking into account humidex and wind chill)....who thinks up this stuff.....
It's a by-law here too but it hasn't really been enforced yet. It will from now on. It rather cocks up Souvettes habit of remotely starting the car to warm it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.