Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question about snowblowers

Question about snowblowers

Old Jan 8th 2017, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about snowblowers

A snow blower with powered wheels should be more than sufficient to ensure one is able to plough a driveway and various paths around the garden.

We have a 30" powered wheeled one that used to be more than sufficient to plough our drive (about 10 feet wide and about 100 m long) and would easily cope with ploughing pathways through our fields.

Once we obtained a tractor, it became superfluous for the drive and general pathways but we still use it to plough the pathway around our house if we are feeling lazy.

This is me blowing snow in on of our fields 3 years or so ago. Yes, my hat is on backwards
Attached Thumbnails Question about snowblowers-snowblowing.jpg  

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 8th 2017 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 4:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I got me one of these, best $700 I have ever spent.

Old Jan 8th 2017, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I got me one of these, best $700 I have ever spent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iACWVZz_Zwg
yes, I have one too. Had it for a while and use for clearing the deck of snow, keep it on the deck under a cover over the winter. Just have to remember its a two stroke motor re gas!!! Too small for my driveway though. I have a 30 inch two stage 11.5 HP blower for that and a plow blade on my ATV for the really sloppy stuff that the snow blower struggles with....like trying to blow ice cream kind of stuff. I should add I have a very long and relatively wide drive way incorporating a roundabout, hence the abundance of mechanical snow clearing aids.

Last edited by macadian; Jan 8th 2017 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 5:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
yes, I have one too. Had it for a while and use for clearing the deck of snow, keep it on the deck under a cover over the winter. Just have to remember its a two stroke motor re gas!!! Too small for my driveway though. I have a 30 inch two stage 11.5 HP blower for that and a plow blade on my ATV for the really sloppy stuff that the snow blower struggles with....like trying to blow ice cream kind of stuff. I should add I have a very long and relatively wide drive way incorporating a roundabout, hence the abundance of mechanical snow clearing aids.
I use a broom for my deck!
Old Jan 8th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I use a broom for my deck!

I wish......
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My request this year on Christmas Day was that "next Christmas We have a snowblower that I can understand and handle". A number of you have held back whilst I decided that I needed to change the NB winter, and faced it with tools that were not up to the job!

Many thanks, I applaud and appreciate your patience!

Now we have a huge thing that I canuu't move or start. I want one of those that has tracks on either side like a tank, but I need it small enough that I can move...I am short and light...learning to get to grips with this stuff is the secret to overcoming the bloody thing

Snowblowers 101 would be a great thread for the future! the snow falls just as heavily in my garden (regrettably) as it does in the man next door's ...but I am not as equipped as I'd like to be to deal with it.

Does it not have an electric start option? That's what I use on ours. Not that it's been much use this year as we've had mainly wet snow that clogs the thing up.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 9:58 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to convince OH to spend money on a newer tractor (that I can use) with a proper snow blower attachment, we currently have a 1940ish Ford tractor with a blade on the back, that is hassle and time consuming for snow moving. So far snow moving has been relegated to snow squashing, which in turn will be a big icy mess come the melt!
Old Jan 8th 2017, 10:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm trying to convince OH to spend money on a newer tractor (that I can use) with a proper snow blower attachment, we currently have a 1940ish Ford tractor with a blade on the back, that is hassle and time consuming for snow moving. So far snow moving has been relegated to snow squashing, which in turn will be a big icy mess come the melt!
We have a tractor that's easy to use, automatic; one pedal for forward, one for back and it has an effective snow blower attachment. It's a lovely tractor to drive in the summer but, if I were buying one for winter work, a cab would be a wonderful thing to have.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I must confess I've been googling for the news headline "Gatineau, homme, blessures, mamelons, freak, souffleuse, accident"

He had to mention nipples again, didn't he?
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

He had to mention nipples again, didn't he?
I was only saving someone else the bother.

I was going to fix the skids today but we decided to go out and waste a lot of money watching the first half of Shen Yun. We shoved off at half time and went to the pub.

Last edited by Souvy; Jan 8th 2017 at 11:56 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 8th 2017, 11:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We have a tractor that's easy to use, automatic; one pedal for forward, one for back and it has an effective snow blower attachment. It's a lovely tractor to drive in the summer but, if I were buying one for winter work, a cab would be a wonderful thing to have.
I think my OH would be too tight to spring for a cab too...seeing as it's taking a lot of effort to get him to buy something newer and more effective lol
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:42 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
A snow blower with powered wheels should be more than sufficient to ensure one is able to plough a driveway and various paths around the garden.

We have a 30" powered wheeled one that used to be more than sufficient to plough our drive (about 10 feet wide and about 100 m long) and would easily cope with ploughing pathways through our fields.

Once we obtained a tractor, it became superfluous for the drive and general pathways but we still use it to plough the pathway around our house if we are feeling lazy.

This is me blowing snow in on of our fields 3 years or so ago. Yes, my hat is on backwards
I'd agree to an extent. I have an Ariens 28" 10.5hp model which I've used for a decade or more on our 150ft drive. However it is a heavy beast & the smaller, tracked Honda machines require less physical effort to manoeuvre which might be important to Millie.

I did research blowers for mounting on lawn tractors but got the impression that they weren't much cop until you get to the proper tractor (like you and dbd33 have) stage. Better to get a decent walkbehind blower which is the same money or perhaps cheaper than the blower attachment for a lawn tractor.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jan 9th 2017 at 11:45 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'd agree to an extent. I have an Ariens 28" 10.5hp model which I've used for a decade or more on our 150ft drive. However it is a heavy beast & the smaller, tracked Honda machines require less physical effort to manoeuvre which might be important to Millie.

I did research blowers for mounting on lawn tractors but got the impression that they weren't much cop until you get to the proper tractor (like you and dbd33 have) stage. Better to get a decent walkbehind blower which is the same money or perhaps cheaper than the blower attachment for a lawn tractor.
We had an Ariens and it was brilliant for about 4 days. It then stopped working (ceased engine) and when we took it back to Home Depot, they could only give us our money back as it was the end of the season and they didn't have any others in stock.

The Cub Cadet in the picture is the same size, but is nowhere near as good as the Ariens. That thing could plough through a mixture of ice and snow that was a foot or more higher than it was. The Cub Cadet struggles with ice.

A number of our neighbours told me not to bother with lawn tractor, or ATV, mounted snow blowers. I would like to have a front mounted blower on the tractor, but haven't got around to getting one yet. Having one on the back would piss me off no end.

A rear mounted blade on our tractor does the job but, like dbd33, I rue the fact that I didn't get a cab.
Attached Thumbnails Question about snowblowers-tractor-blade.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Random one here.

I haven't used the blower yet (no need). I will need to use it tomorrow.

There are patches (small mounds) that have turned to ice. Possible, or shear-pin death? I don't know what the limits of a blower are.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Random one here.

I haven't used the blower yet (no need). I will need to use it tomorrow.

There are patches (small mounds) that have turned to ice. Possible, or shear-pin death? I don't know what the limits of a blower are.
If it's a lump of ice then probably the blower wont go over it. If it breaks off it'll likely be spat out of the chute so aim it away from anything you value. If it's too much the shear pin will break. Then you a) learn how to replace a shear pin and b) start to learn the limitations of your blower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.