Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question about A-levels

Question about A-levels

Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about A-levels

This is really aimed at people still in the UK with kids of the appropriate age.

I have a son back in the UK. He's in his GCSE year and starting to think about A-levels. He seems to have a notion that is normal to do four. In my day it was three, unless you were very bright. Have things changed?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about A-levels

Originally Posted by Souvy
This is really aimed at people still in the UK with kids of the appropriate age.

I have a son back in the UK. He's in his GCSE year and starting to think about A-levels. He seems to have a notion that is normal to do four. In my day it was three, unless you were very bright. Have things changed?
My day ( 80's ) we did three plus General Studies A Level.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

From my understanding (limited and only from speaking to teenage relatives and neighbours), the norm these days is to start out studying 4 subjects, but to then drop your weakest one after AS level, so in essence you end up with 3.5 A levels (3 full A levels and 1 AS).

HTH.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 4:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

All grist to the mill. Thanks to both of you.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
My day ( 80's ) we did three plus General Studies A Level.
But that was back when A levels were difficult I too did 3 A levels and I suspect Souvy is of a similar vintage.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:57 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
But that was back when A levels were difficult I too did 3 A levels and I suspect Souvy is of a similar vintage.
1963 was a good year.

When I did my maths O-level, you couldn't use a calculator. For the A-level (maths/statistics) you could but you still had to show the working. It was the same for the first two years of my degree.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

1963 was a good year.
Did they even have O levels in 1963?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember that we were allowed to use slide rules (though I'm damned if I could use one now). I also seem to remember that most of the marks were for the workings. You would fail if you just wrote down all the correct answers.

I took 3 A levels and 1 AS.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:49 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by dbd33
Did they even have O levels in 1963?
Not sure. I didn't sit them straight out of the womb. In fact, I didn't sit them until 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1982.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:03 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I seem to remember that we were allowed to use slide rules (though I'm damned if I could use one now). I also seem to remember that most of the marks were for the workings. You would fail if you just wrote down all the correct answers.

I took 3 A levels and 1 AS.
Slide rules? There's posh. I think we had log tables. I would not know what to do with one these days.

What you say reminds me of one infamous maths exam during my degree. It was a three-hour exam, based on one set of data that went through a series of analyses of increasing complexity involving lots of Greek letters. The end result was a single number, to two decimal places. There were only two possible marks on that test; 100% or 0%. You got no marks for the workings. Not many people got 100%.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Slide rules? There's posh. I think we had log tables. I would not know what to do with one these days.

What you say reminds me of one infamous maths exam during my degree. It was a three-hour exam, based on one set of data that went through a series of analyses of increasing complexity involving lots of Greek letters. The end result was a single number, to two decimal places. There were only two possible marks on that test; 100% or 0%. You got no marks for the workings. Not many people got 100%.
Were you one of them?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:00 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Without putting too fine a point on it, WTF is the use in being able to do that?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Without putting too fine a point on it, WTF is the use in being able to do that?
I know, only 2 decimal places. I mean really!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know, only 2 decimal places. I mean really!
I'll bet that answer was 3.14. That's a pretty famous maths number to 2 decimal places, I can't think of any others?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'll bet that answer was 3.14. That's a pretty famous maths number to 2 decimal places, I can't think of any others?
2.72, or 1.62?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.