Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Quads / ATV's and all that fun stuff

Wikiposts

Quads / ATV's and all that fun stuff

Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quads / ATV's and all that fun stuff

I know times are hitting people a little hard - but quadding (as with sledding in the winter months) is still a huge sport. To that end its the time of year when a lot of people are planning on the seasons fun purchase.

I know the 800's are the daddy of the quad family but is there really any reason to go with something that big.

If anyone out there has a quad, what size engine did you go for and does it do the job you want it to - be it either work around the acreage or weekends away yahooing around the countryside.

The reason I ask is that i'm looking into getting one and for a first am thinking a 400 will suffice for pretty much everything, aside from the fact you can put a shovel on the front and clear the drive in the winter
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Quads / ATV's and all that fun stuff

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I know times are hitting people a little hard - but quadding (as with sledding in the winter months) is still a huge sport. To that end its the time of year when a lot of people are planning on the seasons fun purchase.

I know the 800's are the daddy of the quad family but is there really any reason to go with something that big.

If anyone out there has a quad, what size engine did you go for and does it do the job you want it to - be it either work around the acreage or weekends away yahooing around the countryside.

The reason I ask is that i'm looking into getting one and for a first am thinking a 400 will suffice for pretty much everything, aside from the fact you can put a shovel on the front and clear the drive in the winter
Dont suppose you'll see this as I'm on your list but no way should you go smaller than a 600, if you live on an acreage you will need something with a bit of power, anything else is just fine for plodding about with the kids on.

PS Are you BridgieDarling-seriously?(if you can see this of course)
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:59 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

No she is deff 100% moochops - always has always will !
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
No she is deff 100% moochops - always has always will !
Who is?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:05 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

mandy - oh do keep up!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
mandy - oh do keep up!
I cant, I think I got mixed up and put people on my ignore list instead of my buddies
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:10 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I've got a Kawasaki Brute Force 650. Excellent machine, excellent V-twin engine, nice and smooth unlike single cylinder machines I've driven. Use it for plowing, running around the trails and generally around the acreage pulling blown down trees and that sort of thing. For plowing you don't want to go to too light a machine.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:14 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
I've got a Kawasaki Brute Force 650. Excellent machine, excellent V-twin engine, nice and smooth unlike single cylinder machines I've driven. Use it for plowing, running around the trails and generally around the acreage pulling blown down trees and that sort of thing. For plowing you don't want to go to too light a machine.
and the 650 gives you enough oomph to play with too suppose am looking for an everything machine but that isn't too powerful for me as i'm just learning!!!!! (trigger happy me! so no point saying well you can only go as fast as the driver allows!)
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:03 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Having lots of power isn't a problem, it only goes as fast as you want! One thing I would say is that it might be worth getting a quad with powersteering, after a while it can get really tough on the arms otherwise.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:11 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

ATV is something I have researched. Bigger isn't neccessarily better - best machines I've riden are Kawasaki 360 and Yam Kodiak 400. Rode a 750 Artic Cat for a day and had biceps like popeye at the end of it. Will post more later but the baby is crying.....!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
ATV is something I have researched. Bigger isn't neccessarily better - best machines I've riden are Kawasaki 360 and Yam Kodiak 400. Rode a 750 Artic Cat for a day and had biceps like popeye at the end of it. Will post more later but the baby is crying.....!
And you've been researching quads???
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:01 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pammy
Dont suppose you'll see this as I'm on your list but no way should you go smaller than a 600, if you live on an acreage you will need something with a bit of power, anything else is just fine for plodding about with the kids on.
That's crap. I own 32 acres and a quad is an essential work tool. My 400 Polaris tows a trailer with 400lbs of hay loaded on it easily, harrows riding arenas and pulls/drags all manner of stuff around. I've put 800hrs on it in 3yrs in all seasons, never got it stuck and come the time to replace it, I'd choose a similar size again.

I've seen over 50mph on the clocks on gravel roads, and that's plenty fast enough for most situations. I'm 6ft and 190lbs, so it's got plenty of grunt. Of course more power is always nice, but a 400's a good compromise machine that can have it's throttle nailed if you're inclined to without really threatening your safety. I've friends with a 450 and 600cc quads. Both are somewhat bulkier, heavier, and subsequently not as fast. It's not all about engine size.

Independent rear suspension's essential I think - far nicer ride and generally better ground clearance.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

spanners is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

hi, 450 honda foreman e.s. 4x4 will do everything you ask of it (easy to mend, ultra reliable and bomb proof) but if you want serious fun go up to the 600 to 750 range, kawasaki vtwins are pretty wick.

Andy.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:49 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Will post more later but the baby is crying.....!
Ah... Welcome to parenthood! My youngest is 10 months and I still get cut off mid post due to him crying!

Sorry for the thread drift Mandy...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:52 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Jealous... wish I could afford an ATV. Wife said if I give up smoking we could afford one in two years.

I'm still smoking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.